View Full Version : I'm starting concerta

michaelaisabell
11-25-14, 08:21 PM
Ok so I was on adderall 10 mg and was having quite a few side effects.
My dr switched me to 27mg of concerta today.
I am starting tomorrow morning since I took adderall today.
I'm hoping this med will be a better fit for me.
I will update tomorrow with how things are going.

Edit- oh ya I got generic but apparently there is an fda warning about mallenkroft and kuduko ( or something like that) not being equivalent so my dr told me to get Watson/activis. I had to call around but walgreens had Watson so I picked that up.

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 10:12 AM
Ok I just took my concerta. How long does it take to kick in? I know with my adderall ir I felt it within 30-40 minutes but I've never taken any time released med.
also why is it that methylphenidate ir has to be taken 30-45 minutes before a meal but concerta can be taken with or without food?

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 12:36 PM
Ok so I took my concerta at 7am it is now 9:30 and nothing.
No side effects but I don't notice a difference. It's like I didn't take anything at all.

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 06:08 PM
Ok so I feel like I kinda noticed the med kick in at like noon then it went away then came back at like 2.
Maybe it's my imagination idk.

Corina86
11-27-14, 10:52 AM
I also feel that there are ups and downs during the day as far as the effect of Concerta is concerned. I wonder if it's just my impression or there's an explanation for it. Does anybody know?

michaelaisabell
11-27-14, 10:56 AM
I also feel that there are ups and downs during the day as far as the effect of Concerta is concerned. I wonder if it's just my impression or there's an explanation for it. Does anybody know?

I know some generics have an issue with how the med is released between the 7-12 hour period.

I just figured my dose is too low since I'm just starting

Corina86
11-28-14, 04:19 AM
I'm not on a generic issue, I'm an actual Concerta. I think it's related to what I'm eating, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Pilgrim
11-28-14, 06:04 AM
I'm not on a generic issue, I'm an actual Concerta. I think it's related to what I'm eating, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

I think you will find this is the way it's releasing in your system. Try an alkaline diet maybe.

Corina86
11-28-14, 07:15 AM
I think you will find this is the way it's releasing in your system. Try an alkaline diet maybe.

I've just googled alkaline diet though and I don't think I can keep one. I have a really fast metabolism and I need a lot of food to maintain my weight. If I only eat vegetables, legumes, soy, nuts and some fruit I'll go anorexic in no time. I need bread, rice, cheese, fish, eggs :(. Is there anything easier?

Pilgrim
11-28-14, 07:16 AM
I've just googled alkaline diet though and I don't think I can keep one. I have a really fast metabolism and I need a lot of food to maintain my weight. If I only eat vegetables, legumes, soy, nuts and some fruit I'll go anorexic in no time. I need bread, rice, cheese, fish, eggs :(. Is there anything easier?
Sorry bout that.

michaelaisabell
11-28-14, 10:56 AM

Try keeping a food journal. Maybe that will help you figure out what it is.

michaelaisabell
11-29-14, 02:54 PM
Update day 3:
Everything is going well. I don't have any side effects. I have a little but of symptom releif in the afternoon but not much or nothing in the morning.
I think my dose is definitely going to have to be increased and I'm thinking I might need to add an ir booster in the am but I really won't know till I up my dose.

I don't have a dr apt. I was given a 30 day supply so I'm not sure if I should just wait the 30 days or if I should go in sooner for a dose increase.

Flory
11-29-14, 03:04 PM
When I've been on concerta I've only ever used brand name but I think bar a few rare exceptions the brand thing really is of no matter it's become a bit of urban mythology in the ADHD community , there are certainly some people in rare instances have found they have problems with it but it's a small minority. And it's usually something to do with binders as opposed to active ingredients.

All the same I wish you good luck and hope it goes well

michaelaisabell
11-29-14, 04:31 PM
When I've been on concerta I've only ever used brand name but I think bar a few rare exceptions the brand thing really is of no matter it's become a bit of urban mythology in the ADHD community , there are certainly some people in rare instances have found they have problems with it but it's a small minority. And it's usually something to do with binders as opposed to active ingredients.

All the same I wish you good luck and hope it goes well

I guess with concerta the FDA is not saying that the medication itself is not the same on those generics but rather that the release mechanism is not equivalent.

In any case from what I've read regarding studies on concerta my generic which is Watson/ activis is working like concerta brand name does in that it's more efficient in the afternoon and evening hours than in the morning.