View Full Version : Newly diagnosed and starting concerta tomorrow

beachbum13
11-25-14, 11:42 PM
:eek: Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with ADD today (at 20YO--see pre-diagnosis post here (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166966)!) and starting medication tomorrow. My psychiatrist started me on 18-mg of Concerta ER and told me to let him know how I feel. My main concern is how do I know if it's working?!? Anything I should look out for? And how do I know if I should try a different medication (Adderall or Vivanse) or if I should take a higher dose?

Thank you in advance! Your responses to my previous post were amazing.

:grouphug:

Musical Dreamer
11-26-14, 12:56 AM
I felt a huge difference the first week or so then a dip. It's recommended that if you feel the med worked but then plateaued you can increase the dose as long as there aren't any bad side effects. In my case, it took me a while before I found the right medication because I was so impressed with the effects my first time around. I was assuming that the slightest change was way better than where I started. My new doctor helped me to really get what I needed out of medication, though.

Good luck! The first day was an eye-opening experience for me. I hope it is for you as well.

sarahsweets
11-26-14, 05:23 AM
You will know if a med works if at least some of your symptoms are controlled or eliminated.

beachbum13
11-26-14, 09:17 PM
Update after day 1:

Took my Concerta at 8:30am and I'm feeling the drop off intensely right now :( (9 hours later). I'm exhausted and easy to anger, and have been for the last 3-ish hours.

As for improvements in symptoms, I felt the medication help focusing me, especially random thoughts/lists/writing emails in my head, after about an hour and last for about 3 hours. I also definitely noticed the "stimulant" quality, and had tons of energy all day.

Even though I noticed some improvement in focus, I still managed to forget where I was going while driving (too caught up in my own head) and be 10 minutes late for my appointment today (forgot to check the clock while putting makeup on).

Overall, the biggest change was an increase in energy during the first 6 hours and a noticeable crash after that. My appetite was just fine all day, and I still had a fair amount of distractibility and forgetfulness :scratch:.

Does the medication become more effective over time? And will the rage/drop off get better?

Thanks everyone!! :thankyou:

beachbum13
11-26-14, 09:41 PM
Also, forgot to mention, my attention span now (post-Concerta) is worse than ever! Probably because I'm exhausted, but maybe still worth mentioning.

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 09:46 PM
Update after day 1:

Took my Concerta at 8:30am and I'm feeling the drop off intensely right now :( (9 hours later). I'm exhausted and easy to anger, and have been for the last 3-ish hours.

As for improvements in symptoms, I felt the medication help focusing me, especially random thoughts/lists/writing emails in my head, after about an hour and last for about 3 hours. I also definitely noticed the "stimulant" quality, and had tons of energy all day.

Even though I noticed some improvement in focus, I still managed to forget where I was going while driving (too caught up in my own head) and be 10 minutes late for my appointment today (forgot to check the clock while putting makeup on).

Overall, the biggest change was an increase in energy during the first 6 hours and a noticeable crash after that. My appetite was just fine all day, and I still had a fair amount of distractibility and forgetfulness :scratch:.

Does the medication become more effective over time? And will the rage/drop off get better?

Thanks everyone!! :thankyou:

Today was also my first day on concerta ( I started at 27mg) and I didn't experience that at all.

For me I didn't notice anything really till like almost noon and I took the pill at 7am.

Only thing I really noticed was that I wasn't tired as usual. I usually get tired and I tend to nap a lot.
I was able to get my living room cleaned and swept and mopped my floors since I wasn't tired but I defiantly wouldn't say I was energetic. All in all It was a great first day. No side effects.

Did you notice any side effects? I'm not sure if the irritability will wear off for you. I would say give the med a good week or two and see if you adjust.
Also concerta and vayvase are suppose to have much less of that harsh "come down" because of the way the time release work on them.
I didn't notice much if any of a "come down" today but on adderall ir it was pretty dramatic especially the first couple of days.

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 09:49 PM
Oh also I don't think it becomes more effective over time. Not like an antidepressant does.
If you feel it's not effective enough after a week or two you could always ask to increase your dose. So long as the side effects are not too bad of course ;)

beachbum13
11-26-14, 09:57 PM
I agree with the "not tired as usual". I have the distinction of also having rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which causes exhaustion as a symptom. So, for me, being able to be up from 8:30am to 6pm without a nap or few hours in bed/on the couch is energetic. Basically felt like I had been drinking a lot of coffee.

As for the come down, I mostly experienced mental fatigue and realizing how much harder I have to work (if that makes sense) to be a "real person" (my expression for being non-ADD). It was a combination of (a) being tired from a productive day without naps/rest and (b) being suddenly exhausted as my brain started having to work harder. For example, on my drive home I had to work really hard to concentrate on the road, to not text, and my air vents, which were blowing directly on me, suddenly became distracting to the point of being physically painful. Essentially, I realized how hard I work on a daily basis for regular tasks, and it was enough to send me straight home and into some cozy sweats :p .

michaelaisabell
11-26-14, 11:31 PM
Seems like all in all we had a pretty similar experience.

beachbum13
11-26-14, 11:39 PM
Just had my first day check-in with my doctor (he's great about checking in after any medication adjustments via text/email) who said that today was a good indication that the medication can work for me but I need more time to adjust before being moved to a higher dose. I'll be checking back with him in another 2 days to see if he wants me to increase dose or what.

michaelaisabell: You mentioned adderall in your previous post. Any recommendations for someone trying their first medication (me!:)) on what to watch for--good or bad?

michaelaisabell
11-27-14, 02:21 AM
Just had my first day check-in with my doctor (he's great about checking in after any medication adjustments via text/email) who said that today was a good indication that the medication can work for me but I need more time to adjust before being moved to a higher dose. I'll be checking back with him in another 2 days to see if he wants me to increase dose or what.

michaelaisabell: You mentioned adderall in your previous post. Any recommendations for someone trying their first medication (me!:)) on what to watch for--good or bad?

I am newly diagnosed too. The first med I was given was adderall ir. It improved symptoms but gave me headaches when it wore off. I had really cold feet and hands to the point it was getting painful and some anxiety. Also I was getting some blurry vision and this feeling like I was seperate/ disconnected from my body.

Just watch for anything bothersome and unusual

michaelaisabell
11-27-14, 02:27 AM
Oh ya also my feet seemed to fall asleep quickly and the last day I was on it when I went to bed that night I started having muscle twitches in my legs