View Full Version : (trigger warning: self harm) How to get my mind off of cutting?

wwww789
11-26-14, 09:27 PM
I'm really trying to let go of my cutting habit, I realise that it's seriously unhealthy, and have wanted to stop for ages now. I can sometimes go for a few days, even weeks on some occasions without doing it, but it's only a matter of time, eventually I get overwhelming urges to harm myself and I often can't think of anything else until I do so. I'm feeling very depressed at the moment, and I'm afraid I may cut too deep again. Do you have any advice for getting my mind off of it? I've tried a few things in the past, such as going on a walk, or phoning someone, but they've had relatively limited success in that area.

sarahsweets
11-27-14, 06:29 AM
The only thing that brought me back from the blink of self mutilation was therapy and meds.

dvdnvwls
11-27-14, 10:23 PM
This is not the kind of thing where "getting your mind off it" is a real solution. You do (for sure) need therapy and may (probably?) need medication.

You won't succeed by yourself - you already tried and you know the story - by yourself, it just comes back. You need that therapist.

But until your first therapy appointment, which needs to be very soon (not as in "someday soon"; more like "get on that phone by tomorrow morning"), you can do lots of interesting things, and meet in real life with several different people. Keeping yourself busy, yes - but being busy with real-life people is far better than "just doing things".

Fuzzy12
11-27-14, 11:17 PM
Take it minute by minute. Postpone it..just for another minute least.

Is there any thing you really enjoy doing? Do you have a favourite meal? Can you make it for yourself?

Getting some sleep might help too if you can. And then when you wake up do make an appointment too see someone.

:grouphug:

psychopathetic
12-04-14, 08:33 PM
:(
(((((((WWWW)))))))

Sending you a bro e-(((hug))) man. :(

I know this is going to sound corny...sure did to me the first time it was suggested to me...

But buy yourself a red marker...and when you find yourself craving, pull the marker out and use that in place of a blade.

I had a therapist suggest this to me many years ago. And I thought it was dumb. She didn't get it. That wouldn't satisfy me. It wouldn't make me feel better.

So I ignored her advice for years.

Only...one day I had just happened to have a red marker close to hand and I was having that obsessive craving...that longing.
So I took the marker out and slid it across my shoulder...just as I've done with blades hundreds of times over the years.

And damn. I couldn't believe it. It felt so real...the ink took a few seconds to dry adding to the realistic feeling.
And so I did it a few more times.

I never ended up picking up a blade that night. It was just enough to get me through...that red marker.

So I hope you keep the idea in mind.

There is hope. I haven't cut in about 4 1/2 years now. I still find myself once in a great while obsessing on it...longing for it. But it is a habit that can be broken. There is absolutely hope in that.