View Full Version : Using the five senses in writing

anonymouslyadd
11-29-14, 11:18 PM
I'd like to practice writing for the senses. When you write for the five senses, you illuminate a scene, person or thing. It becomes real for your reader. As usual, I'll write a sentence, at the most a three-sentence paragraph, and try to use as many senses as possible.

Clanking her shoes against the brown tile floor, Martha made her presence known to the thousand students in the auditorium.

anonymouslyadd
11-29-14, 11:29 PM
She brushed her soft hair back with her right hand.

anonymouslyadd
11-29-14, 11:32 PM
As I walked down the road and smelled the freshly-cut lawns, I remembered playing soccer on Saturdays.

TygerSan
12-03-14, 02:13 PM
I pushed further up the hill, my feet thudding hard against the pavement. My eyes watered as the wind blew against my face, numbing my nose and ears. A swift intake of breath overwhelmed my lungs with the smell of burning autumn leaves, and the distinct metallic taste of exertion.

anonymouslyadd
12-06-14, 09:12 PM
I pushed further up the hill, my feet thudding hard against the pavement. My eyes watered as the wind blew against my face, numbing my nose and ears. A swift intake of breath overwhelmed my lungs with the smell of burning autumn leaves, and the distinct metallic taste of exertion.
^^^^^Very good!