View Full Version : How long have you been Meditating for?

Overkill
11-30-14, 03:00 PM
And what has been your favourite technique/s?
Have you had any above average interesting experiences?
(*also can't believe there is only 1 thread in this forum.)

Mine tend to go between
-Relaxing my body as much as I can.
-Looking at my existence (looking at my source of "who or what" is looking).
-Focusing on the point of creation from where my thoughts arise.
-Feeling...feeling feeling feeling everything. (helps tremendously with my anxiety)

Focusing on breath is a good one too.
Not sure if it is my ADD but I am not sure i have ever stuck with one technique for longer than a week or two.

peripatetic
11-30-14, 03:03 PM
you might follow these instructions to see more posts in this section: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161605

Unmanagable
11-30-14, 03:32 PM
Deep breathing made a world of difference in my daily attitudes. Alternate nostril breathing is nice, too. Getting that oxygen flow increased does a body a world of good, and is incredibly relaxing to my turbo mind. I don't have a specific practice I stick with, either. Trying to figure all of that stuff out kept me from practicing anything for too long.

I enjoy walking meditation in the woods. Rhythmic meditation with drumming and other various percussion sounds, alone or within groups. Dancing around the house to my favorite jams, sitting on the deck steps chillin' with the birds, sitting in the special spot in the forest where the sun peaks through, etc., etc.

Hot salt baths, with essential oils based on needs/wants, with various music - Native American flutes and shamanic drumming are two of my faves, unless I'm in a lyrical mood, then Pink Floyd or Rising Appalachia usually win out.

Practicing yoga poses that I know I won't hurt myself doing.

Sitting comfortably in total darkness (I have to wear an eye mask because my eyes just won't stay shut some days), with very low flute music or Tibetan bowls sounds or just silence, being sure my spine is straight, I practice deep breathing and just watch what takes place. I often see really cool stuff that I used to pay good money to see. Hahahaha!!!!

Carving out those moments in my day make a world of difference. Glad you've found some meditative things you enjoy, too. And thanks for the reminder. :)

moth2flame
11-30-14, 03:57 PM
Carving out those moments in my day make a world of difference. Glad you've found some meditative things you enjoy, too. And thanks for the reminder. :)

And thank you for your reminders, as well!

Something you (and others) might enjoy: did you know there's an internet himalayan singing bowls generator? :D http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/singingBowlsDroneGenerator.php - the rest of their noise machines and soundscapes are pretty neat, too.

In terms of types of meditation, what has helped me the most / been easiest to stick to is mindfulness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_meditation). I had a therapist who really stressed being present and acknowledging what was going on with my body, in order to help overcome anxiety. You just sit for a minute or 5, however much you can stand, and try to examine how you feel (mentally, physically) in this moment. Bringing yourself back to the present, without judging how you feel.

I tend to live in thoughts of the past/future, and I find this very grounding, and fairly easy to apply, even if I sometimes forget to do it in situations where it would help... overall, though, it has definitely helped me move past some pretty severe anxiety/depression. Or at least be more accepting of it when it strikes, and understanding it doesn't have to last.

(still listening to the bowls generator... ha)

Edit: Woops, I forgot to answer the "how long" part. A bit under 4 years, for mindfulness. Maybe 1-2 years more, with assorted random practices that didn't become habit.

Unmanagable
11-30-14, 04:08 PM
Something you (and others) might enjoy: did you know there's an internet himalayan singing bowls generator? :D http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/singingBowlsDroneGenerator.php - the rest of their noise machines and soundscapes are pretty neat, too.

:D Thank you!!!!!! :yes:

sarek
12-01-14, 03:46 AM
I started self awareness and meditation about a year and a half ago.

I found actual dedicated meditation, using the empty mind method (unseeded, not using anything else) to be quite hard, but I am persevering. I have also started experimenting with a form of tibetan style meditation which involves keeping the mind on a single subject for a given amount of time.

Most of my awareness work is through in life awareness methods. You can call that mindful living.

In an earlier thread I gave a number of methods which I use which I am quoting here with amendments:

- watch your breath as often as possible. In so doing, try to switch to breathing from the belly.
- regularly check all the tensions in your muscles. -
- You can do a moving body scan switching attention between all the various parts of the body.
- When someone is speaking, try to listen with an empty mind. Normally you are already thinking of the answer, but if you empty your mind and go to awareness you can be more attentive.
- You can review the way you walk and walk 'mindfully'
- You can chose an activity, any activity, and analyse it in slow motion. I am generally very loud and noisy with everything and self awareness has allowed me to be much more careful. You can do this while setting the table or doing the dishes.
- You can do a complete body and mind freeze where for a short moment you stop all movement and thought. A good moment for doing that is when you go through a doorway.
- You can pick up a sensation like a song on the radio or the rain on your skin, or a beautiful sunset and deliberately focus on it.
- You can do stationary or dynamic balancing exercises that require total concentration