View Full Version : What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Andi
04-13-05, 01:50 PM
From Pamela Rice Hahn,

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), which is also sometimes referred to as Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.), is a condition characterized by the primary symptom of a prolonged, persistent debilitating fatigue not relieved by rest and not directly caused by other conditions. In general, a diagnosis for CFS requires that the tiredness is severe enough for at least a 50% decrease in the patientís ability to participate in ordinary activities. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) describes CFS as a distinct disorder with specific symptoms and physical signs, based on the exclusion of other possible causes.

to read on...http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/articles/a/cfs1.htm

henry88
01-03-13, 07:56 AM
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome symptoms are long term tiredness or fatigue. Other conditions are muscular/joint pain, abnormal sleep patterns, headaches and poor concentration. Though the symptoms are looking not so hazardous but long term persistence can be dangerous. The cause of the disease is still unknown.

Fionagrape
12-04-13, 07:41 PM
I'm a 46 year old woman, have just recently been diagnosed with ADD, and didn't know that was the cause of my fatigue. Obviously I've been to doctors and have tried to get treatment for my fatigue, but it was a dark and dead end avenue, and I don't recommend going into any doctors office with any complaint other than something they can diagnose and treat easily.
That being said, the fatigue is REAL and left me very impaired, dizzy, foggy, tired, tired, tired, my whole life wasted being tired. Now I have my diagnosis and I'm on adderall.

CBL1984
12-10-13, 01:06 PM
Have you ever been tested for MTHFR mutations? Linked with Chronic Fatigue and ADHD. Treated with Methylfolate. I have it. Compound heterozygous.

janiew
12-10-13, 04:00 PM
I first experienced something akin to CFS in my early 30s after my youngest son was born. It was attributed to depression, anxiety, etc. My migrating aches and pains were attributed to somatic depression. Fast forward 16 years after having worked the whole time and after having raised my family - my symptoms became too obvious to ignore. Lab tests for autoimmune disorders revealed rheumatoid arthritis and borderline lupus.

Listen to me. If you have CFS or fibromyalgia, ask for RF, CCP, and ANA blood tests, etc. My doctor back in the day said we might find I have fibryomyalgia but that I didn't have enough pressure points. And while fibromyalgia is a real deal, it is not what I had. And he didn't test for autoimmune disorders. I didn't know enough then for it to even be on my radar.

I have rheumatoid arthritis which can be a disabling disease and I am very fortunate to finally have diagnosis for ADHD, OCD, and RA after years of suffering. And I am still working.

janiew
12-10-13, 04:08 PM
I will add that I have lived with chronic fatigue since my early 30s and it has affected every aspect of my life. I have regrets.

For me, it's a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis and possibly lupus. Get yourself tested - RF, CCP, and ANA. Do it if you don't want to be disabled.