View Full Version : Mcaffee (the antivirus software I can't spell)

midnightstar
12-02-14, 12:29 PM
I found this out through other people offsite and thought I'd better alert everyone to it.

DO NOT download macaffee (sp) off the internet, there's a virus that is made to look like macaffee but it messes up the computer and adds new viruses onto the computer, because the logo looks very similar to it people are downloading what they think is macaffee but it isn't. It's a virus.

Only install it from genuine macaffee discs this will prevent your computers from getting infected by the virus ;)

Maurice
12-03-14, 01:37 AM
I don't care for McAffee at all. I prefer Bitdefender. A much better program with more options to clean up your computer on top of defending against malware and viruses.

sarek
12-03-14, 07:29 AM
Maurice is right. Macafee is a bit of a dinosaur in anti virus land. It is unwieldy, it is a resource gobbler and it tends to cause problems. It is also not that easy to remove from your system when you have had enough of it.

There are plenty of alternatives like Bitdefender, Avast, AVG free, etc.

Fortune
12-03-14, 07:37 AM
I don't care for McAffee at all. I prefer Bitdefender. A much better program with more options to clean up your computer on top of defending against malware and viruses.

Bitdefender on my machine acted like malware - it kept randomly blocking Steam, Origin, Chrome, and Opera from accessing the internet, as well as multiple games. It also removed legitimate not-virus mod files from my Morrowind installation, thus breaking it and forcing me to do a full reinstall. It also wasted a ton of time for me as it interfered with and then finally started blocking The Old Republic's launcher from functioning.

I wouldn't recommend Bitdefender for anyone unless they like daily arguments with an inanimate object over whether one's browser is safe to use or not.

I have had good experiences with ESET/Nod32. Problem with it is that it is not free.

Mercurial
07-09-16, 07:11 AM
IMHO, sarek is spot on. Nothing but issues and conflicts with the real product. I worked for an ISP and was part of a team that rolled out our branded McAfee. The call volume spiked through the roof. The drill down trouble tickets were up 70% due to AV calls after the roll out.

For the average user, a well configured router and bitdefender etc (and common sense) stay away from P2P downloads ...free movies etc, You will be fine. I am a strong advocate of old wired ethernet connections. Wireless is getting way too complicated for the average user. 500 billion dollars in ID theft using wireless hacking technology should give you an idea.

Very best:)
Merc