View Full Version : Intentionally not taking my second pill?

the_pragmatist
12-02-14, 10:16 PM
Hi am a classic high functioning lifetime ADHD sufferer who did not take medication as a child and instead developed significant (and suprisingly successful) coping mechanisms. Like many other sufferers, I can be incredibly productive once the panic level is significant enough, and I've learned to hire people who compensate for my weaknesses.

In the past I have used exercise as one coping mechanism; however we have a newborn and exercise (in large enough quantities) is not possible. I've also found that with age I'm not quite as good at covering up my ADHD.

So I've just begun treatment with Ritalin. My doctor is reccomending 2x10 mg pills, one in the morning and one in the midday so I don't "crash". In my current work schedule, I only really need to be "on" in the morning, so I wonder if I can just do the morning pill, get 2-3 hours out of it, and then come down and rely on my normal coping mechanisms. I know Ritalin shouldn't change who I am, but it does make my head feel a little weird.

I guess I'm just uncomfortable with the idea that I need it all the time.

Anyone else skip the second pill and just rely on coping mechanisms?

Greyhound1
12-03-14, 12:19 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum,

Many days, I don't take my later dose of dextro-amphetamine. I base it on how I feel. Some days, I just need less to get by and would feel overstimulated with regular dose. My Dr. is totally fine with it.

Why do you want to rely on your coping skills? I feel obligated to warn you about relying on "bad" coping skills. I survived for 45 years using anxiety, panic and OCD for my untreated ADHD. The more I excelled in life with them, the more I would rely on them. My coping skills took over my everyday thinking and life. They were now driving me on everything I did or thought about.

Getting diagnosed less then 2 years ago and treated for ADHD was the only thing that helped me get out of that horrible place. I had tried everything over a 12 year period. Basically, my ADHD was discovered by default. My coping skills were resistant to everything except treatment of my ADHD.

Good luck and welcome

Corina86
12-03-14, 04:53 AM
If your coping mechanisms are good (like hiring people to do certain tasks, finding a job that you can hyperfocus on etc) then I guess you can use them all you want.

If the mechanisms are bad (like panic, anxiety, OCD, addictions, dangerous behavior, relying on family/friends/colleagues to do the work for you, isolation etc) then it's probably better to take your meds all throughout the day.

Maybe you should discuss this issue with your wife/husband (sorry, but I don't know your gender) to make sure whatever decision you take doesn't impact your family badly.

someothertime
12-03-14, 05:27 AM
if your doctor is fine without the second dose ( periodic second dose on busy days --- "consistent" or sparse )

and

you can handle the "crash" or irratability or whatever happens to you just taking a morning dose...

why not......

i think most people ( assuming the med worked well with them ) would find sporadic dosage changes and / or daily drop offs quite unsettling....

sarahsweets
12-03-14, 06:33 AM
I take my meds everyday for consistency.

Fuzzy12
12-03-14, 06:36 AM
If you don't need the second pill (and if as Corina said, your coping mechanisms are healthy rather than damaging) then I don't see a reason why you should take the second pill. Alternatively, you could take a reduced second dose. Whatever works best for you. Ritalin doesn't have to build up in your body to work effectively so you can take it on a need only basis.

I sometimes don't take my second pill and I used to try skipping meds on the weekends but I've realised that I need them on the weekends too. Also, if I take a break then the side effects are worse for me once I do start taking them. I think, whatever your dosing schedule might be regularity and consistency helps.

The weird feeling in the head might go away after a while. Apart from dehydration, most of my side effects have subsided with time.

Peachy87
12-03-14, 07:10 AM
Welcome! If your doctor is alright with you not taking your second dose and YOU are also okay with not always taking a second dose. Then hey, why not? I know my doctor has always told me that if on days I didn't have work, or really have anything to do, a relaxing hang out day basically, that I didn't need to take my daily dose of Adderall. Personally I always do take my daily dose because I don't get any negative side effects from it, and I like the productivity it gives me. You will definitely figure out a regime with regards to your meds that work for you :) best of luck, and always come here if you have questions or just want to chat. I've found this group to be one of the most helpful resources I have.