View Full Version : After the medication starts....

User Name Here
12-07-14, 04:51 AM
My husband has been diagnosed with ADD & will likely begin Ritalin soon. I expect them to prescribe Ritalin simply because he's currently abroad, which limits his medication options.

1. My question is, once the medication starts, what areas will I see the most significant changes in him AND potentially in our relationship? I'm talking about those first days and weeks.

He has the classic ADD list of symptoms. At present there are a few ADD related symptoms that are very challenging for him/us/me. His lack of attention when I speak, his mind wandering so easily, his impulsivity with spending money, not seeing the consequences of his actions, etc. I would say that his impulsivity in being flirty with strangers is also a current issue of concern and worry (for me).

I'm curious as to what this transition might look like after he takes that first pill.

2. As well, if someone is taking Ritalin, how much of an post-dinner impact will it have on someone if they take it 1x during the day.... and only in the morning?

In other words, will the impact be felt at work... yet not with family in the evening? There are certain ADD symptoms that majorly impact the family. I'd get discouraged to see him start the medication but then there isn't a benefit when it comes to his relationship and interactions with me & family in the evenings. I'm excited FOR him in many regards. I want things in life to be much easier for him. But, I'm eager to see how his interactions with family will also (hopefully) improve.

Khyliene
12-07-14, 02:13 PM
It all depends on your husband's biological makeup.

Mittens
12-09-14, 06:34 PM
My husband has been diagnosed with ADD & will likely begin Ritalin soon. I expect them to prescribe Ritalin simply because he's currently abroad, which limits his medication options.

1. My question is, once the medication starts, what areas will I see the most significant changes in him AND potentially in our relationship? I'm talking about those first days and weeks.

He has the classic ADD list of symptoms. At present there are a few ADD related symptoms that are very challenging for him/us/me. His lack of attention when I speak, his mind wandering so easily, his impulsivity with spending money, not seeing the consequences of his actions, etc. I would say that his impulsivity in being flirty with strangers is also a current issue of concern and worry (for me).

I'm curious as to what this transition might look like after he takes that first pill.

2. As well, if someone is taking Ritalin, how much of an post-dinner impact will it have on someone if they take it 1x during the day.... and only in the morning?

In other words, will the impact be felt at work... yet not with family in the evening? There are certain ADD symptoms that majorly impact the family. I'd get discouraged to see him start the medication but then there isn't a benefit when it comes to his relationship and interactions with me & family in the evenings. I'm excited FOR him in many regards. I want things in life to be much easier for him. But, I'm eager to see how his interactions with family will also (hopefully) improve.

I am going to be completely, and genuinely as honest I can be.

There is no magic bullet. Medication is an INCREDIBLE tool. Oh man. The things that it has done in helping my husband has been absolutely amazing.

Medication won't make your husband manage money better by itself - but medication will give your husband the moment of 'pause' to be able to work with you and make up a budget and/or sort out a system that financially works for the two of you, with both partners actively trying and putting effort in. It's a lot of work.
Worth it - but a lot of work.

Kind of goes for almost all of it. Medication is an amazing tool, and sometimes it takes some tweaking and trying to find out which tool is the best fit. Medication won't make your husband cleaner, or more on time, etc etc all on it's own, but it will give your husband the ability to work with you to find a good system that works for you guys with a lot of patience and work. In my experiences it's like any tool, and can be used as much or as little as the wielder. If that makes any sense?

My husband first was prescribed Ritalin - life was amazing! He said he started to feel better, his sleeping started to regulate, his emotional stability greatly improved, etc etc........
And as time went on, and his dosage increased, all of a sudden it 180'd and something was going HORRIBLY wrong. It was like Jekyl and Hyde. Mood swings worse than I have ever seen, complete and total irrationality and it was like living with a ticking time bomb. You never knew if you were going to come home to a very sad, depressed, almost suicidal man that was heart breakingly hurting, or if you would come to a yelling, vulgar, vicious person that would flip at any moment.

Turns out, after some very tense moments, he went back to his doctor and because the ritalin was very short acting it was unbalancing him on a daily basis, and the higher the dose the more the imbalance - he was essentially going through 'withdrawals' EVERY day. I can't even imagine. It was literally heart breaking to watch someone you love go through that kind of violent struggle and neither him or I could do a darn thing about it.

His doctor then tried concerta (a long acting ritalin) with small dose ritalin for 'boosters', and so far that seems to be doing the trick. (Fingers crossed) :)

That was a long way of saying not to get discouraged if the first medication isn't necessarily the right fit. It may be - and that would be absolutely awesome! However if it's not, be patient, have faith, and take a deep breathe. Hope is not lost.

Hope this helps and good luck!