View Full Version : How to keep up weight when on Concerta

leah94
12-08-14, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new on here, I just started taking Concerta a couple of weeks ago because I just got diagnosed with ADD. I was taking 18mg in the morning but my doctor just upped my dose to 27mg because it was only lasting for about 6-7 hours. I'm 20 years old, sophomore in college, with a really busy schedule. I am 5'2" and weighed about 96 pounds before I began taking ADD medication, my metabolism has always been insane and I always have to make sure my weight stays up. Also I ran competitively throughout middle and high school and still run half marathons and love being active. However, I am having a lot of trouble keeping up my weight due to the side effects of Concerta, do you all have any suggestions of how I can keep up my weight? Any good high protein snacks or foods I should eat? I have a friend on Vyvanse and she says that I should try drinking protein shakes in the morning before the medication kicks in, do you think that will help? Or ideas of how I could make myself eat when I'm not "feeling" hungry? Sorry for the long post, I'm just so new to all of this!

Corina86
12-08-14, 05:18 PM
I'm having the same issue. I have no solution for this. The only thing that helps me is that in the evening, when the medication wears off, I get really hungry and I eat a lot. Also, I take my pill after breakfast. I'm also not eating anything unless it has a lot of calories. If I eat salad for lunch, I won't be able to eat anything else, so I prefer to save my hunger for stuff that have lots of protein, fat and carbs (I try to avoid too much sugar though). I also exercise less and do more weight training than cardio.

Pilgrim
12-08-14, 06:08 PM
I would eat anything with a lot of good calories. Protein shakes full of fruit and other goodies.
I think this is correct, actual sugar, on these drugs should be used in moderation. It messes with the effectiveness of the medication.

Traveler5
12-08-14, 06:12 PM
Drink lots of regular Coke and eat a lot of chocolate throughout the day. A person can never get enough chocolate.;)

michaelaisabell
12-08-14, 11:08 PM
Drink lots of regular Coke and eat a lot of chocolate throughout the day. A person can never get enough chocolate.;)

This. Plus add some hot Cheetos, Starbucks, cheez it's, and lit and lot of ice cream!

finallyfound10
01-07-15, 01:39 AM
When I was on Concerta 54 mg and Prozac, I lost a lot of weight then I went to Concerta 36 mg and Zoloft 50 mg, I've gained it all back and more!! I really think that it was the Zoloft since it can cause weight gain. I still don't feel hungry during the day and mostly only eat when hungry at night but food doesn't revolt me like it did when I was on the 54 mg.

tinybike
01-17-15, 07:51 PM
I have a similar problem on vyvanse. I'm considerably heavier than you (5'1" and a very muscular 145lbs), but have lost almost 10lbs in only 6 weeks and don't particularly want to continue this kind of trend.

Eating junk makes me feel like I ate junk, so I have avoided that.

I make a shake in the morning, just enough to fit in a mason jar. It's easy to scoop a little whey protein or vega, two fistfuls of spinach, a banana, your choice of frozen sweet fruit to taste, and a scoop or two of chia seeds. It's not too calorie-heavy but it's clean, and it's easy to sip in class, but not too much to finish by lunch, so it doesn't separate or get yucky (I'm also at uni!).

I force myself to have one snack every break in school (most days I have 3 morning classes back to back, 10 minutes in between). That's usually a handful of almonds, a full avocado, one serving of chocolate (it's true, everybody needs chocolate) and one other snack that depends on the day. I keep everything static except the one snack bc I need structure that badly. Sometimes it's carrot sticks, sometimes it's celery & peanut butter, sometimes it's leftovers from dinner!

For dinner I usually have more of my appetite back, so it's easier. Typical dinner is chicken and rice in whatever sauce I feel like that day + complimentary veg (mango curry + mango strips + green pepper, for example), a glass of regular (unsweetened but not lo-cal) rice or coconut milk, and as much veg as I can force myself to eat not in smoothie/sauce form. On the weekends if I'm not studying last-minute for something I might switch it up a bit.

I think the key is to get your calories where they count, since it's hard to eat much. I don't eat a lot of straight carbs, and with every meal I try to include a protein of some kind. Keeping my menu static doesn't bother me because I don't really care what I'm eating most of the time since starting meds, and it's harder for me to forget something. Protein and dark, leafy vegetable heavy and carb light (like paleo, only I cheat every day with rice and sugary fruit).