View Full Version : Anyone take two doses at different times of the day?

michaelaisabell
12-09-14, 04:32 PM
I went to my dr today for a med increase. I was on 27mg a day now he's giving me a 27mg pill and an 18mg pill.
But tge weird part is he is telling me to take my 27mg at 6 am when I get up and to take the 18mg at like noon or 1 pm.
Why would I split them like this?
It doesn't make sense to me.

peripatetic
12-09-14, 05:38 PM
My guess would be a lighter afternoon dose so as not to interfere with sleeping. Some give boosters of IR to extend coverage without causing sleep disturbance in those prone to it from stimulants, but it would make sense to use concerta at a lower dose for the same purpose.

michaelaisabell
12-09-14, 07:00 PM
My guess would be a lighter afternoon dose so as not to interfere with sleeping. Some give boosters of IR to extend coverage without causing sleep disturbance in those prone to it from stimulants, but it would make sense to use concerta at a lower dose for the same purpose.

Ya It would make sense if I told him it wearing off too soon but that wasnt the problem. The problem was I was getting 0 symptom relief as if I had not taken anything

peripatetic
12-09-14, 07:17 PM
Well sometimes increasing the frequency will resolve that issue.

Have you asked him why?

michaelaisabell
12-09-14, 09:58 PM
Well sometimes increasing the frequency will resolve that issue.

Have you asked him why?

No. Lol.
So simple why didn't I think of that! Lol
He just added the second dose today and I didn't think to ask why he wants me to take them seperate like that.

peripatetic
12-09-14, 10:04 PM
You should defo ask. Most psychiatrists are happy to explain a rationale and if not, that's a bigger problem :)

Corina86
12-10-14, 09:08 AM
Doesn't Concerta last up to 12 hours? Or is that the extended release formula only?

michaelaisabell
12-10-14, 09:38 AM
Doesn't Concerta last up to 12 hours? Or is that the extended release formula only?

Yes it does. Concerta only comes in extended release. I think in some countries it's just called concerta and in others they add an XL onto it but it's the same med.

I am getting my meds from my Pcp and I honestly don't think he knows very much about treating adhd. It was suppose to be temporary till I got into my pdr but when I saw my p dr (a new guy since my old dr was gone) he told me he would not make any adjustments to my adhd meds since it's a controlled substance and my Pcp prescribed them.
Instead he gave me Wellbutrin but I never filled it because it can possibly react with literally ever med I'm taking and cause seizures.

The p dr seemed generally kinda irritated when I brought up anything about my adhd and he just wanted to talk about my depression even though I told him I'm not really depressed. Just from time to time.

And then it dawned on me two night ago. My pdr the FRENCH! The French don't really Beleive in adhd!!

So needless to say I am going to ask to have my p doctor changed. I'm just going to tell them that I would prefer seeing a female doctor.

So my Pcp basically looks up the meds in the PC and talks with me to see what I want to do. I told him I'd rather add an 18mg dose onto my 27 because you are suppose to go up by 18mg a week till you get to the right dose and I didn't think going up to 36 mg was going to do much more than the 27 so I'd like to add an 18.

He goes ok so a 36 and an 18? And was about to write the script . I was like NO I don't want to go up too fast either lol just add an 18 to the 27 I'm already taking.

So that's what we did.

And I just realized this turned I to a horribly long ramble I was took a really long way of saying my doctor doesn't know much about the meds and my pdr refuses to treat my adhd.

The end.
Sorry that shiz got so long :/

Corina86
12-10-14, 12:18 PM
I agree your doctor may not know too much about ADHD, but apparently he doesn't even bother to check about the medication he prescribes.

Concerta lasts for about 12 hours so taking one at noon or 1 pm seems awfully late. If I take mine later than 10, I can't get to sleep before 2 AM. Is there any reason for him to believe that the effects lasts for shorter time in your case?

Regarding depression, I had the same issue with a psychiatrist who insisted I was depressed, while I insisted I wasn't... I still don't understand why.

michaelaisabell
12-10-14, 06:04 PM
I agree your doctor may not know too much about ADHD, but apparently he doesn't even bother to check about the medication he prescribes.

Concerta lasts for about 12 hours so taking one at noon or 1 pm seems awfully late. If I take mine later than 10, I can't get to sleep before 2 AM. Is there any reason for him to believe that the effects lasts for shorter time in your case?

Regarding depression, I had the same issue with a psychiatrist who insisted I was depressed, while I insisted I wasn't... I still don't understand why.

There is no reason for him to Beleive that the effects last shorter for me other than I told him the original adderall ir script he gave me only last 5-6 hours. But duh it was ir.

Anyway my next appt is with the PA who switched me to concerta in the first place and he seems to know a little more about treating adhd than the dr.

Actually this last appointment when I saw the dr I didn't have an appt with him. My appt was with the PA but the office was packed so the dr was picking up some patients for the PA.

Too be honest I don't want to be up all night so I just took both doses together in the am.

It feels like I'm almost there. Like maybe one more dose increase and I'll be getting the symptom releif that I need. Hopefully :/

VETinPA
11-21-15, 08:37 PM
This is my first post, so please take that into account if I fudge up here...

Im currently on Concerta through the VA here in Pittsburgh. My doc started me on 27mg , which was inadequate. IMO, the dosage was too low. Also, it seemed to wear off after 8-9 hours.

Different people have different digestion timeframes. If your digestion timeframe is quicker, the drug may not be fully dispersed before you excrete it.

At my second appointment the doc prescribed 36mg (18mg pills X 2). He said to try to take the pills at different times to see what worked best. I did so, but the overall dosage wasn't high enough.

I had my third appointment this week, and was prescribed 54 mg (18mg X3). By taking two 18mg pills at 6:30am and one 18mg pill at noon or so, it seems to be working pretty well for me.

In my case, I'm taking Concerta in divided doses for the following reasons:

1. The shorter than normal duration of Concerta for me.
2. I prefer the action of Concerta over Ritalin IR.
3. My doctor is also more comfortable with Concerta over Ritalin IR due to the perceived abuse potential.

I'm not inferring that these reasons are applicable to you. I just thought I'd share my experience. Again, this is my first post. I apologize in advance if I've said something out of turn.

Jim