View Full Version : Ritalin - Heart Rate different in morning

bobabuoy
12-11-14, 08:06 PM
I am taking 10 mg Ritalin AM, 10mg 4 hours later and then 5 mg 4 hours after that.

I also take 90 mg Cymbalta a day, and 300mg Neurontin 3 times daily.

When I take the first Ritalin, I get a HR of between 90-100. Usually after the second dose my HR goes down to 70's.

I have tried Propanolol to reduce the HR, but it causes depression in me.

Any thoughts? I don't like having the high HR.

mattlebo
12-11-14, 08:17 PM
I had a strange heart rate, well actually it felt like my heart was pounding harder then it should have been in the evenings while taking Dexedrine. It went away after a while though. CNS stimulants mess with your body's normal brainwave cycles/ blood pressure/ heart rate/ body temperature and they all shift throughout the day in relation to your circadian rhythm, so maybe your body is just out of wack because of the drugs your taking messing some of those systems (my guess is brainwaves)

Corina86
12-12-14, 04:30 AM
Did you ever get your blood-pressure checked? Have you ever been to a cardiologist? Also, how long do the fast heart-beats last? Do you drink any coffee?

I think that having a fast heart-beat (without very high blood pressure, assuming you have no heart issues) for a short period of time shouldn't be any more dangerous than exercising. There is also the possibility of lowering your first Ritalin dose.

Laserbeak
12-12-14, 05:21 AM
Have you tried metoprolol?

bobabuoy
12-12-14, 09:08 AM
Did you ever get your blood-pressure checked? Have you ever been to a cardiologist? Also, how long do the fast heart-beats last? Do you drink any coffee?

I think that having a fast heart-beat (without very high blood pressure, assuming you have no heart issues) for a short period of time shouldn't be any more dangerous than exercising. There is also the possibility of lowering your first Ritalin dose.

Yes, I check my blood pressure regularly, and it is usually normal or even below normal.

The fast heartbeats last usually about 3 hours.

I like the idea of lowering the first dose.

bobabuoy
12-12-14, 09:09 AM
Have you tried metoprolol?

No. I asked my dr. about other beta blockers and he seems reluctant to prescribe others. He says he hasn't heard of other beta blockers being any different.

Laserbeak
12-12-14, 03:06 PM
No. I asked my dr. about other beta blockers and he seems reluctant to prescribe others. He says he hasn't heard of other beta blockers being any different.

Metoprolol works great for me, and I've never had any bad side effects from it. I have also taken Atenolol but it did do strange things to me, I can't quite articulate it because it seemed different every time! Definitely ask for metoprolol just to try it.

bobabuoy
01-27-15, 12:41 AM
Atenolol seemed to do the trick. I get the reduced heart rate without the weird mental effects of propanolol. Thanks for the suggestions.:)