View Full Version : The reason Lamotrigine works so well for anxiety

InvitroCanibal
12-12-14, 02:51 AM
Lamotrigine has litterally changed my life when it comes to anxiety. It does nothing for bipolar, for me anyways, but at 150mgs a day, which took 6 months, my anxiety is gone. Im not a zombie either, I just truly am able to say what is on my mind and not get offended if some one disapproves.

I see anxiety as this, simply put it is hyper sensitivity. My anxiety stems from a fear of failure, rejection, or screwing up/poor refinement of speech. I so desperately wanted to fluidly communicate my thoughts and I always felt blocked. But...now that is gone. I take latuda as well, for depression at 20mgs a day.

The anxiety comes into play when im litterally paralyzed by anxiety. I couldnt talk to people, I was always a deer in the headlights. Now I can chat with strangers, smile and joke with them. Never has this happened in my life. And no...im not manic. I've felt improvement with my anxiety, slowly over the course of 6 months as I went up by 25 mgs each month in my dose.

Sorry for the promed speech but I feel like lamotrigines benefit was misunderstood and could help many people in the anxiety section.

At first they thought it helped prevent bipolar mania and depression, but then they said it didnt.

However, I think what was confusing them is it's astounding efficacy for anxiety. Which anxiety can trigger mania, but treating anxiety isn't treating bipolar/ bipolar depression.

It isn't toted for anxiety because its efficacy for that was not suspected until the end of the patent. Meaning no funding for research.

My general thinking as to why it assists with anxiety is that most anxiolytic meds simply block receptors. However they fail to do anything about the excess glutamate and excitotoxicity effects.

To better explain, pretend your neurons are a faucet. Lets say you wanted to reduce the waterflow, you wouldnt plug up the faucet with paper towels. The pressure would eventually build and break through. If you took that route, you'd need a powerful plug that could prevent all water flow. But do you really want that? In terms of the brain, that means zombification.

You poor people are prescribed the wrong kind of meds. Blocking the receptor for a short time causes rebound, so meds like klonopin then increase anxiety which yo-yo's you to bonkers. Over time klonopin causes your cells to create more receptors for glutamate. Thereby killing you if you stop taking it, or causing permenant brain damage. Terrible stuff honestly. All the benzos are.

The anti depressants can work, but the side effects may not be worth it...especially for men.

In short, don't block the flow of the water, Just turn the knob/lever down!

Lamotrigine works well for anxiety because it targets the root cause of anxiety which is a low thresh hold to actionpotential in your glutamate systems.
Anxiety means excitatory neurons are easily turned on and hard to turn off. When stimulated their channels/ gates open and out comes neurotransmitters that shouldnt come out. It's like taking an overdose of amphetamines...right when you are giving that presentation, or talking to that stranger, or taking that test, or ruminating your day etc

The lamotrogine increases the amount of energy to reach activation thresh hold which is why it works for seizure disorders (which is really just the extreme version of panic disorders since most with seizures report a panic attack before the seizure and rebound from benzos can cause seizures)

Increase the amount of electrical charge required to activate a neurons sodium gate, and you have turned down the faucet.

Laserbeak
12-12-14, 03:21 AM
Interesting... never heard about it. Maybe I'll ask my psych about it, but I am doing fine on benzos, so I'm not sure if I want to risk that.

InvitroCanibal
12-12-14, 03:25 AM
Just know, this is just my opinion. Klonopin or benzos may work for you and that's fine. Im not trying to trash benzos but I do think they are not a descent long term med in regards to health and tolerance.

Your doctors orders will always trump whatever some lowly individual like me says. These are theories open for discussion. It'd be worth talking to your doc about if nothing else works.

Good luck

InvitroCanibal
12-12-14, 03:27 AM
Interesting... never heard about it. Maybe I'll ask my psych about it, but I am doing fine on benzos, so I'm not sure if I want to risk that.

Would be worth asking about as an adjunct if benzos work well for you but you still have symptoms of anxiety.

BellaVita
12-12-14, 03:50 AM
I think Lamictal made me super anxious and agitated.

InvitroCanibal
12-13-14, 06:44 AM
I think Lamictal made me super anxious and agitated.

When I went up too fast, it caused that for me too. Going low and slow has been the key.

sarahsweets
12-13-14, 08:47 AM
Lamictal saved my bipolar as+.