View Full Version : Benzos supposedly cause dementia!

noradd
12-12-14, 12:02 PM
Did you also hear about this? A new study from September. People who took benzos for a few years are more likely to develop dementia. They don't even know if occassional benzo use is safe! This is really worrying.

Lunacie
12-12-14, 12:07 PM
Didn't see that but I did see a news article saying that poor sleep can lead to dementia.

Something else to worry about while insomnia is keeping you awake, eh? :eyebrow:

noradd
12-12-14, 12:12 PM
Yeah but the benzo thing is a real problem. Now I don't even know if I can occassionally take a benzo or not. :(

I also wonder what about lyrica and gabaeric drugs? Are they safe? Or will they find out in a few years that they are also not safe?

Fortune
12-12-14, 12:22 PM
Here's an article about it. (http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397)

Laserbeak
12-12-14, 12:29 PM
I'd rather have dementia than not take benzos.

Lunacie
12-12-14, 12:45 PM

That's how I feel about the SSRI that I take for anxiety.
I'd rather die early and enjoy the years that I do have
than spend the rest of my life so full of anxiety I'm sick.

TurtleBrain
12-12-14, 01:14 PM
Personally I've only taken benzos to relieve side effects from taking Ritalin, but I've tapered it down and eventually got off of that because it seemed like it was counterproductive to Ritalin's effects. The withdrawal bothered me for a few weeks, but I'm glad that's over with... never want to be on them again.

noradd
12-12-14, 09:55 PM
Why should ssri cause premature death?

BellaVita
12-12-14, 11:02 PM
Meh, I'm not so convinced. (Even after reading the info - small study) I also would rather take benzos than be anxious and not able to live a normal life.

If I get dementia, so be it.

Little Missy
12-12-14, 11:40 PM

Yep. I would have added thanks but it keeps re-directing the page. Dementia here I come.

Maurice
12-12-14, 11:42 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Long time ago I took 40mgs. of Valium every day.

It gave me SO much dementia that I'm getting ready to go back to college to learn to write code, after going to my 35th high school reunion in July! ROTFLMFAO!

Little Missy
12-12-14, 11:42 PM
Why should ssri cause premature death?

Probably from becoming inorgasmic.

Maurice
12-12-14, 11:43 PM
Yep. I would have added thanks but it keeps re-directing the page. Dementia here I come.

Yeah, Missy! You and me both! :o)

Maurice
12-12-14, 11:44 PM
Probably from becoming inorgasmic.

Or hyprrorgasmic!

Little Missy
12-12-14, 11:48 PM
Or hyprrorgasmic!

Everything is groovy here.:D

noradd
12-13-14, 12:33 AM
My doc gave me ativan to take occassionally. It's not even that great.
When I take 1mg for example I cannot really say that I feel much. I'd rather have a benzo which totally kicks in where you really feel a difference.
What also sucks is that my doc told me not to take it more than 2 or 3 times a week. This means I have to decide when to take it and when not and then I usually don't take it and instead I feel anxious. That's not really a solution.

Fortune
12-13-14, 01:28 AM
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

This is a published study. (http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205) Just being on the internet is not sufficient cause to dismiss information.

Long time ago I took 40mgs. of Valium every day.

It gave me SO much dementia that I'm getting ready to go back to college to learn to write code, after going to my 35th high school reunion in July! ROTFLMFAO!

The study only covered people over 66, so is not necessarily applicable to anyone younger.

Also, the only claim you could possibly counter with yourself as an example is an absolute claim: For example, that taking benzos will absolutely cause dementia. This is not a claim the study makes, never mind not drawing any conclusions about people under 66.

Lunacie
12-13-14, 10:49 AM
When I take 1mg for example I cannot really say that I feel much. I'd rather have a benzo which totally kicks in where you really feel a difference.
What also sucks is that my doc told me not to take it more than 2 or 3 times a week. This means I have to decide when to take it and when not and then I usually don't take it and instead I feel anxious. That's not really a solution.

No, that doesn't sound like a good solution.

I take an SSRI (low dose) every single day.

It makes such a big difference in my life that

I'm serious about taking it even if the long term

effect could be dementia in another 20 years.

I'll be in my 80's by then.

The risk might feel different to someone younger.

noradd
12-15-14, 02:04 PM
For me ssri don't work. They don't help against anxiety AT ALL.
I am really disappointed. None of my symptoms get any better from
antidepressants. I don't know what to do now. There's not that much
left except maoi which are really scary. :(

Lunacie
12-15-14, 02:16 PM
For me ssri don't work. They don't help against anxiety AT ALL.
I am really disappointed. None of my symptoms get any better from
antidepressants. I don't know what to do now. There's not that much
left except maoi which are really scary. :(

Did you try different doses? Different meds?

I know it's a hassle to keep changing things up, but sometimes
that's what it takes to find out what works.

I was lucky that a low dose of the first SSRI that I took worked,
but it made me eat all the time.

I gained 10 pounds in just one month and asked the p-doc to try
something different.

Sometimes I feel extra anxious and think about asking for a dose
increase, but just hang on until the stress lets up again.

noradd
12-16-14, 07:15 PM
I tried lexapro at 20mg which is the max dose.
I highly doubt that going higher would have made any difference.

Lunacie
12-17-14, 12:22 AM
I tried lexapro at 20mg which is the max dose.
I highly doubt that going higher would have made any difference.

If the only SSRI you've tried is Lexapro, then it's not accurate to say that
SSRI's do no work for you at all.

Like I said before, it can be a hassle to try different meds at different doses,
but when you do find something that works well for you, it makes it worth it.

noradd
12-27-14, 04:46 AM
I tried lexapro and citalopram which is similar.

The other ssri, zoloft,paxil and prozac scare me. Especially zoloft has a very long list of side effects which even has stuff like cancer! :eek:

Peachy87
12-27-14, 06:17 AM

I know I'm not a doctor & I don't know if it's panic or an anxiety disorder you suffer from, but being told to take this only 2-3x per week, seems a little ridiculous to me. What if you have anxiety everyday? Are you supposed to pick and chose what day you want to take your meds? Maybe try checking into a different psychiatrist or prescriber, if it's possible for you.

Peachy87
12-27-14, 06:20 AM
And I wanted to add, lexapro didn't work for me either, it actually made my anxiety worse. I didn't find an SSRI that helped with anxiety. I just started a month ago taking a low dose of Wellbutrin, so we'll see how that goes.

Lunacie
12-27-14, 12:17 PM
I tried lexapro and citalopram which is similar.

The other ssri, zoloft,paxil and prozac scare me. Especially zoloft has a very long list of side effects which even has stuff like cancer! :eek:

It's pretty difficult to figure out which things would have occurred anyway
versus which things may be actual side effects.

A longer list with fewer people having each side effect doesn't scare me nearly
as much as a shorter list where more people experience a certain side effect.

The fewer people, the less likelihood it's an actual side effect.
The more people, the greater the chances the meds actually caused it.

I've been on Zoloft (generic) for 3 years now with no problems, no side effects.
It works really well for me. Prozac scared me more, but it's been around even
longer with a pretty good track record.

If I only took it occasionally, it wouldn't work at all. It has to build up over time.
Ativan may work differently.

Karamo
03-12-15, 03:41 PM
Bensodiazepines in general, it's analogs and z-bensodiazepines cause anterograde amnesia (dose related) which affects the way memories are formed and stored. That's enough reason for me to steer clear of taking them in the long-term and for anything other than falling asleep.

It's a personal choice and I'd rather live with anxiety than to become derpy but I really do understand people who choose the reverse.

Early onset dementia doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Lunacie
03-12-15, 03:55 PM
Bensodiazepines in general, it's analogs and z-bensodiazepines cause anterograde amnesia (dose related) which affects the way memories are formed and stored. That's enough reason for me to steer clear of taking them in the long-term and for anything other than falling asleep.

It's a personal choice and I'd rather live with anxiety than to become derpy but I really do understand people who choose the reverse.

Early onset dementia doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Why do you feel it's either a benzo or anxiety?

I don't take a benzo to treat my anxiety. I take an SSRI. Doesn't make me derpy.

Karamo
03-12-15, 04:34 PM
Why do you feel it's either a benzo or anxiety?

I don't take a benzo to treat my anxiety. I take an SSRI. Doesn't make me derpy.

Because this topic is about bensodiazepines =p

I've been through most SSRI's, some TCA's and SNRI's. Most SSRI's made me really tired even after prolonged use (and I suffer from hypersomnia as it is...) and those who didn't had no effect on my mood other than cutting off my ability to laugh spontaneously :<