View Full Version : NVLD and Asperger's=mostly the same

Batman55
12-16-14, 04:09 AM
Poor spatial skills, poor sense of directions, idiosyncratic language (formal use of vocabulary, monotonous speech, etc.), poor comprehension skills, literal thinking, black and white thinking, warped/defective emotional processing, lagging social skills, narrow passionate interests.. they overlap in both disorders.

Things that fit AS but don't fit NVLD as well: Rituals and routines, strength in math, stimming, difficulty with change. That said, one study from a while ago says that roughly 50% of Aspergians have gifts in Math, the other 50% runs the normal gamut of ability. (So that suggests if you're terrible in Math, it doesn't rule out Asperger's.)

While my diagnoses are GAD (social anxiety specifically) and ADD, I definitely have traits of Asperger and/or NVLD. However it is very difficult to pin down what is what. I have trouble with changes, narrow interests, and an extreme craving for order, ritual, and routine... but I'm God-awful at Math, I don't "systemize information" obsessively, I'm not very logical, and I don't stim in any overt way.

So in my case it's quite confusing, however to me, it makes more sense to say I have Aspie traits. My own opinion, which some may disagree with, though.. is that AS and NVLD are the same thing, or if not, then mostly the same. But it's just my two cents, and I'm no expert.

Fortune
12-16-14, 04:44 AM
Some experts see NVLD as something you get diagnosed with when you see a neurologist, whereas ASD is what you get diagnosed with when you see a psychiatrist. I think there are definite distinctions and NVLD covers a more specific set of traits than ASD.

BellaVita
12-16-14, 06:24 AM
I have Dyscalculia. I had to memorize every single problem in math for the tests, like almost every possible problem had to memorize beforehand....yet I was in advanced math classes.

I would spend several hours per homework assignment.

I am not officially diagnosed with autism, but I fit the criteria.

Batman55
12-17-14, 01:41 AM
Maybe I could have done well in school if I was willing to put in multiple hours of work for every difficult assignment, and study for hours and hours for tests (particularly Math cuz I was awful)... but nope, that didn't happen. I never found schoolwork stimulating. I could never stay focused on it.. especially something like math. But also, I wasn't diagnosed with ADD or even knew I had it, at that time.

What about you Bella, did you have any meds back then? If not, I have to wonder how you were able to maintain such a powerful, unbreakable work ethic!

I believe I could have been a good student, had I put in the ridiculous amount of work needed for it.. which would have been 10x as much work as the typical student.. and eliminate everything else in life. I think I'm justified in not making that sacrifice. Who does? The gifted kids.. which was probably 25% at my high school.. who rarely study?

BellaVita
12-17-14, 01:48 AM
Maybe I could have done well in school if I was willing to put in multiple hours of work for every difficult assignment, and study for hours and hours for tests (particularly Math cuz I was awful)... but nope, that didn't happen. I never found schoolwork stimulating. I could never stay focused on it.. especially something like math. But also, I wasn't diagnosed with ADD or even knew I had it, at that time.

What about you Bella, did you have any meds back then? If not, I have to wonder how you were able to maintain such a powerful, unbreakable work ethic!

I believe I could have been a good student, had I put in the ridiculous amount of work needed for it.. which would have been 10x as much work as the typical student.. and eliminate everything else in life. I think I'm justified in not making that sacrifice. Who does? The gifted kids.. which was probably 25% at my high school.. who rarely study?

I didn't get meds until my senior year of high school. I also am diagnosed with OCD, super perfectionist so I think that's what majorly caused me to do well.

It sucked, I had zero social life and would stay in my room all the time.

Yeah, I think part of it *was* working 10x harder than everyone else....sucked but I've always been this way. (Hard worker)

MrsNewton
01-17-15, 01:42 AM
I have NVLD, and it's not the same as aspergers, although it does share some of the same symptoms.

The biggest difference is that we can recognize and respond appropriately to emotion, although not always humor or sarcasm, but we do have trouble with non verbal cues.

There is a lot of confusion between the two disorders. Some believe Aspergers is a severe form of NLD.

daveddd
01-17-15, 07:36 AM
I have NVLD, and it's not the same as aspergers, although it does share some of the same symptoms.

The biggest difference is that we can recognize and respond appropriately to emotion, although not always humor or sarcasm, but we do have trouble with non verbal cues.

There is a lot of confusion between the two disorders. Some believe Aspergers is a severe form of NLD.

really?

thats interesting, anything I've read on NVLD states a problem with emotional recognition (alexthymia)

daveddd
01-17-15, 07:48 AM
i think because NLD isn't an actual dx, people may be diagnosed as autism or maybe even ADHD

Fortune
01-17-15, 08:26 AM
There are people diagnosed with autism and/or ADHD and NVLD, some on this forum.

NVLD and autism both are associated with alexithymia, I think.

From comparing notes with people who have NVLD, I've found that although I am autistic, my cognition is very different from NVLD. I don't think the two are interchangeable, although I do think that potential resemblance may vary from person to person.

daveddd
01-17-15, 08:30 AM
There are people diagnosed with autism and/or ADHD and NVLD, some on this forum.

NVLD and autism both are associated with alexithymia, I think.

From comparing notes with people who have NVLD, I've found that although I am autistic, my cognition is very different from NVLD. I don't think the two are interchangeable, although I do think that potential resemblance may vary from person to person.

i feel like my cognitive style matches that of NVLD

although it may be psychologically driven , the moments in my life (few and far between) where meds or mindfulness or both are working to max potential, my cognitive style changes drastically

expressive language, speech/writing structure, memory everything

MrsNewton
01-17-15, 11:40 PM
really?

thats interesting, anything I've read on NVLD states a problem with emotional recognition (alexthymia)

We can have a hard time with certain aspects of it, especially certain non verbal cues and sarcasm/humor, but we can recognize an angry face when we see one, a happy face etc. In someone with aspergers, its common for them to "see" all faces as exactly the same.

We tend to be very literal, so sometimes we just dont "get" jokes, etc.

I'm exhausted, so if that makes no sense I will try again tomorrow ;-)

MrsNewton
01-17-15, 11:43 PM
i think because NLD isn't an actual dx, people may be diagnosed as autism or maybe even ADHD

I am diagnosed officially with ADHD and LD with "Visual-spatial and motor deficits" Not sure what they would call it now, but that's what my records say, lol.

Tinatheawesome
01-19-15, 02:56 AM
Me too

Tinatheawesome
01-19-15, 02:58 AM
And also I wanted to be like my older brother so, I took longer in test taking and my older brother was never in special ed unlike me

Tinatheawesome
01-19-15, 03:10 AM
I was given an D in English instead of F because I was doing all the work and switch back no diploma in 9th grade also D in Health ed for not turning in work in my folder because someone in class said the teacher lost his work folder so, I blamed the teacher for losting my stuff even though, it was in my backpack that day.