View Full Version : Medication: Now I want to Fix My Life--Hyperfocus

clbwithadd
12-16-14, 10:24 AM
I am newly re-diagnosed. That is I was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyslexia in early elementary school. Yes, I flunked Kindergarten and 2nd grade! Rock Star! I was in special education classes in early elementary and then back into the regular population by 4th grade.

I am 39 and I have a 10 year old son. I love the booger but he is off-the-hook. People keep asking why I don't have another child. I look at them like they are crazy. I can't do it--I very seriously don't think I would survive. I didn't get pregnant with my son on purpose, but I thank God for him everyday. At the same time, I find it so scary. Me as boy....OMG world watch out.

Now that I started medication, I am hyperfocusing on house cleaning. This is not bad--I needed too! I opened my son's dresser and he had NO clean clothes at all! Then I look around my disaster of a house and think--how can I expect anyone to live here. Although, he is a big mess himself. And I agree with him, if the mess bothers you clean it up, I'm fine with it. So excited to have some hope of a better life!

scribblecard
12-19-14, 07:48 AM
Ahaha!

I tend not to keep my own room clean as well, because I know that I'll have moments when I will automatically hyper focus and clean almost obsessively without knowing what's happening around me!

The hyper focus thing sort of certainly has it's upsides and downsides. I tend to get a lot of stuff done (and really well too!), but more often than not it wasn't what was required at the moment. Then I just have to tell myself 'you know what? At least you let out some steam and aren't going in perpetual loops anymore (because of stress)!'