View Full Version : Versed (midazolam) brings someone out of vegetative state

Laserbeak
12-17-14, 04:46 AM
Quite a fascinating read:

An Italian man left unable to speak or communicate properly following a head injury took doctors by surprise by ‘waking up’ and talking to his family normally after being given a common anti-anxiety drug.

The 43-year-old man, who doctors have named SV, suffered a traumatic head injury during a car accident two years ago.

He was left in a coma for 40 days, and then in a vegetative state – where he was awake but showing no signs of awareness – for four weeks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2876060/World-man-left-unable-speak-car-crash-wakes-talks-family-given-common-anti-anxiety-drug.html#ixzz3M8vd5t1k

TygerSan
12-17-14, 07:42 AM
Funny that a drug that normally puts one out wakes this guy up. It's like the ultimate paradoxical reaction.

It seems from the article that the researchers think that he may have been suffering from the movement disorder catatonia. I wonder if the change in EEG pattern was essentially a from a seizure to a normal pattern? Benzodiapaines like midazolam are used to treat seizures.

The crappy thing about these meds is that there usually is some tolerance that builds. I wonder how permanent the effect would be, or if there are other drugs that may be more effective.

Maurice
12-18-14, 05:47 PM
Really doesn't surpise me all that much. We take amphetamines for ADD and it slows down the racing minds. So why wouldn't Versaid bring a guy with a certain brain chemistry back to normal?

Abi
12-18-14, 07:02 PM
Benzos are commonly prescribed to prevent/treat catatonia.