View Full Version : computer question

daveddd
12-17-14, 05:32 PM
computer guys

whats the best printer brand to buy my wife for xmas

mac desktop and HP laptop

I'm on my third junk HP one, and i have no idea about brand names, and mac doesn't seem to make one

thanks

dave

TXJK14
12-17-14, 05:47 PM
I don't know about color printers but if you want a cheap printer that last a long time and the toner is cheap (I buy my toner off amazon that is refilled by third party) I say go with a Brothers printer.

I have put those on all the computers where I work because they never give me problems.

Abi
12-17-14, 05:47 PM
I have an HP.

Try Canon if you're not happy with HP .

dvdnvwls
12-17-14, 05:58 PM
You're right that Apple (Mac) don't make a printer - they never have. It's true that years ago, they used to sell some under their brand, but those were all made by one of the major printer companies.

You do need to make sure that your new printer will work with a Mac. If it does, it will say so on the box. (You may also need to check about versions of Windows, if that machine is running a very old version or a super-new version of the operating system.)

Questions to consider:

Color ink, or just black?

Printing lots of photos, or mainly just documents?

Printing a lot of pages every day, or more occasional use?

... In other words, you want as clear an idea as possible of exactly what kind of jobs this printer is going to be used for, and how often.

And, very important, after you're interested in a certain model:

How much does the ink cost, and how often are you going to have to replace it? Try to estimate the total overall cost of having a certain printer for a year - the price of the printer alone doesn't show you that.

I think every major printer manufacturer has some junk models, especially the one at the lowest price bracket. Their marketing departments all tell them they have to make a piece of crap that sells for a super cheap price - this does two things for them - it gives them a low price to put on the advertising, and it allows the salesman to justify the more expensive one to you because it's supposedly so much better.

I chose by the reviews on computer magazine websites, and I wasn't disappointed.

TXJK14
12-17-14, 06:01 PM
BTW, Brothers works with Mac... Im a mac user so I have to check compatibility stuff as well.

daveddd
12-17-14, 06:02 PM
photos

occasional scanning, and copying

mediocre printing. with address labels being printed often

dvdnvwls
12-17-14, 06:07 PM
Ah, good to get that narrowed down... the scanning and copying means you need one of the "all-in-one" models, or whatever they're called.

If you print a lot of photos, then you'll want to get one that the reviewers say does a good job with photos. Some of the printers that do the best job on typed documents are terrible on photographs.

Traveler5
12-17-14, 06:12 PM
I like HP. Never had a problem. Brothers and Cannon are good too. I'd suggest you go to ConsumerReports.org to get information about what's really reliable.

daveddd
12-17-14, 06:17 PM
I like HP. Never had a problem. Brothers and Cannon are good too. I'd suggest you go to ConsumerReports.org to get information about what's really reliable.

impossible I'm adhd, can't research

Traveler5
12-17-14, 06:50 PM
impossible I'm adhd, can't research

:lol:

dvdnvwls
12-17-14, 07:26 PM
Hey Dave

I suggest you go to pcmag dot com, then click on "reviews", then click on "printers and scanners", and lastly click on "The 10 best printers". Surely one of the ones on that list would fit your needs and your budget.

Carol
12-17-14, 07:35 PM
After having to toss my last two printers after a year's use, I decided to buy printers at Walmart because of their "Care Plan," which adds about 12% to the cost and gives you two years of repair or replace coverage, including shipping. Usually, they'll give you a Walmart credit for the cost of the printer as soon as you return it (or they receive the returned shipping notice). Since it covers normal wear/tear and user damage, it seems worth it. Best Buys costs twice as much and they want to repair it.

I purchased a Canon online, it prints from my Mac, iphone, and ipad. My last Canon bricked, as well as my last Epson, so not recommending anything.

Louder Than Love
12-17-14, 09:54 PM
HP Envy. Most definitely.

Laserbeak
12-20-14, 02:47 AM
You're right that Apple (Mac) don't make a printer - they never have. It's true that years ago, they used to sell some under their brand, but those were all made by one of the major printer companies.

This is misleading. It's true Apple never made a laser printer from the ground up, they always used a basic engine from Canon usually, but they designed the motherboard that ran it and, along with Adobe, the software (PostScript) too.

The ancient ImageWriter dot-matrix printers were basically homegrown I believe, but of course still out of off-the-shelf parts from mainly printer manufacturers.

Now, of course, Apple is completely out of the printer business, they simply help basically any printer company that wants it to build their own Mac OS X drivers.

daveddd
12-25-14, 02:53 PM
bit the bullet

giving HP one more chance to redeem itsself with me

went with HP envy 7640 she loves it

can print pics right from her phone, cool stuff

Abi
12-25-14, 03:23 PM
Btw I never knew you were married :eek:

RobboW
12-25-14, 04:50 PM
We use a HP, it's noisy but generally reliable and has huge ink tanks, does a good job and is an all in one. Had it for 2 years or more, still going well. It's on our home network so everyone can use it. It replaced a previous HP which was also good. The only reason it was replaced was needing ink, so decided to get one with big tanks. Our kids use it for school stuff as well as our stuff.

I also have a Samsung colour laser, it's turned off and forgotten. Was terribly unreliable operating from network. Ran out of toner and couldn't buy it locally. Just a lemon.

Laserbeak
01-11-15, 04:26 PM
BTW, I have a Samsung multifunction color laser printer w/ scanner and fax capabilities now. It's great when it works, but I've had multiple issues with it. Luckily, the manufacturer does have an excellent repair program and I also got the extended warranty.

I'd also suggest getting more memory for it, as it seems to choke on complex PostScript documents.

midnightstar
01-29-15, 05:51 PM
I found Epson to be quite good, the ink costs a fortune though! The printer I had lasted about 5-6 years before it wore out and it wasn't cost effective to repair it.