View Full Version : 24 Hour Lasting Concerta?

DevanBraden
12-17-14, 11:05 PM
So, my prescriber just wrote me a script for 24 hr lasting Concerta and it's on its way in the mail. I jave been trying to find information on this medication, but have found nothing about it lasting 24 hrs. Is anyone on this or have knowledge on this? Or did my prescriber lie to me?

dvdnvwls
12-18-14, 12:04 AM
I believe this means you take it only once every 24 hours, not that it actually lasts that long. You probably wouldn't want it to last through the night while you wanted to sleep.

DevanBraden
12-18-14, 04:35 AM
But I asked her, "This is the one that lasts 24 hrs?" The reason I am being put on it is cause I asked for it cause I have a friend who takes them and she said they are the ones that last 24 hrs. So I have had two people confirm this, and one of them can get in trouble for lying to me. Not that I would do anything about it lol.

sarahsweets
12-18-14, 05:34 AM
Concerta does not last 24 hours.

DevanBraden
12-18-14, 05:59 AM
So then she lied to me? I will go down tomorrow and talk to her I guess.

michaelaisabell
12-18-14, 11:45 PM
Concerta does not last 24 hours. For some reason some doctors are under this impression.
My dr thought it lasted 24 hours until he looked it up. (Family doctor)

namazu
12-19-14, 12:14 AM
So then she lied to me? I will go down tomorrow and talk to her I guess.

As michaelaisabell said, your doctor may have been mistaken, rather than telling you the wrong thing on purpose.

Strattera (a non-stimulant) stays in your system and works 24/7 -- but it can take a while to build up in your system before it starts working, and in general it doesn't appear to work as well as the stimulants (while they last).

Concerta typically lasts in the 8-12 hr. range, and then its effects are gone until you take another dose. Many people only take it once every 24 hrs., which is the recommended dosing, though for other people they need something to cover the rest of their waking hours.

Yes, it would be a good idea to talk to the doctor to be sure you're both on the same page about the prescription and what to expect from the medication.

DevanBraden
12-19-14, 05:23 AM
Well that is legitimately disappointing. I won't be able to talk to my actual prescriber until next month, but I can have her nurse relay messages. My friend saying that it works for her for 24 hrs must be a psychological thing.

michaelaisabell
12-21-14, 11:34 PM
Well that is legitimately disappointing. I won't be able to talk to my actual prescriber until next month, but I can have her nurse relay messages. My friend saying that it works for her for 24 hrs must be a psychological thing.

Usually people don't need their meds to last 24 hours and since they are stimulants and can interfere with sleep you will want it to be worn off by the time you go to sleep.

Optimal you will want your meds to last you long enough to get through your day.
For me that is 12 hours. I take my first dose ( I'm not on concerta) at 7 am and it lasts me till noon-1pm then I take my second dose which gets me through till about 6pm.

By this time I have gone to school, done my homework, helped my kids with their homework, run any errands I have, gone to appointments, etc and started dinner.

If my meds lasted me longer I would not be able to sleep well.

I notice that meds will interfere with sleep for a few hours after tge meds have lost worn off.

So my last fuse wears off where I lose my attention span and such around 6pm but they would still interfere with my sleep if I tried to go to bed before 9-10pm

michaelaisabell
12-22-14, 09:59 PM
Also the way some insurance has things listed might confuse ppl.
I noticed today that In my insurance formulary list it has generic adderall extended release labeled as

Amphetamine salts sr (24 hour)
This is misleading since there is no 24 hour version of adderall. I just means that's it's meant to be taken once a day.

Babylon5
12-24-14, 04:47 PM
My doctor said it lasts 12 hours.

Pilgrim
12-24-14, 04:52 PM
For me I got 8 hours of symptom relief.

Why can't they make Dexamphetamine in that little pump pill?

Jenn1202
12-29-14, 05:37 AM
It lasted 11-12 hours for me.

marielynne
01-01-15, 09:41 AM
There are not any 24 hr stimulants that I know of. I am a nurse in an outpatient psychiatric clinic. the longest acting stimulant I am aware of is vyvanse.

also be aware that there have been some problems with generic concerta not being bioequivalent to the brand. Meaning it may not give you the effect the doctor intended for it to give you. we're seeing it is less effective and patients are complaining it is not working. a prior authorization can be sent to your insurance company to make them pay for brand in this case.