View Full Version : Financial aid

lucylove1990
12-18-14, 02:59 AM
I will try to keep this as short as possible!

So I'm 24 years old. I have dropped out of college probably 6 times now. The last time I was at a community college and I was failing all my classes anyway. I was working 50-60 hrs a week and couldn't handle the school load. I got an email saying I wouldn't be eligible for financial aid anymore and that I had taken the maximum amount of courses and didn't satisfy academic standards.

I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until last year. I feel like now that I have my medicine figured out I could probably handle college. I lost my job a few months ago because I was in the hospital for a month. I'm not able to find a job right now. I was considering going back to school since I sit at home all the time wasting my life away. I figured I might as well give it one last try.

But is there any way to appeal the financial aid decision? Since I don't have a job I really can't pay for it. My husband offered to take out a loan but I won't let him. With my history of failing and dropping out I will not let him waste the money. I want to give it a try and I want to do good. I'm tired of failing! But I don't want to disappoint him and waste his money if I can't pass the classes. I would be more than willing to get a work study job to help with the cost. Is it even worth contacting the financial aid office? :/

MrsNewton
12-20-14, 01:12 PM
There are several ways to appeal it, the first step is via your financial aid office. You have to provide documentation as to what your extenuating circumstances were, get an academic plan and stick to it. They don't have to approve it, but usually will if you have documentation.

It could be that they suspended you for not completing over 67% of the hours you attempted, which happens a lot.

The other thing they can do is suspend you if you have reached over 150% of the credits needed for graduation, for example, taking 90 credits for a degree that requires 60.

The second scenario is the more serious, I would guess your situation is probably the first. Check with your FA office and get the paperwork started, you'll be so relieved when it's done. :-)

dvdnvwls
12-20-14, 03:29 PM
Going to school and having a job at the same time is - for you - probably just a disaster waiting to happen. The history of failing means if you do end up going for it you will need to stick to school only and eliminate all ideas of work until you finish school successfully.

MrsNewton
12-20-14, 06:10 PM
I agree, it sounds like school should be your main focus, and there's nothing wrong with that!

You know what didn't work before, now you just need to figure out what does work, find study habits that you can stick to, and plug away. Feel free to message me, It took me a long time to go back to school and I'm finally going to finish up one degree while working on the next, If I can be any help to you I'd be glad to.

lucylove1990
01-02-15, 01:43 AM
I agree, it sounds like school should be your main focus, and there's nothing wrong with that!

You know what didn't work before, now you just need to figure out what does work, find study habits that you can stick to, and plug away. Feel free to message me, It took me a long time to go back to school and I'm finally going to finish up one degree while working on the next, If I can be any help to you I'd be glad to.

Thanks so much. I am getting tested for dyslexia next week as my dr thinks I have that also. I am waiting to get the results before I attempt to go back or talk to the school so I am prepared.

MrsNewton
01-05-15, 09:51 PM
Just checking in. How did you make out?