View Full Version : I think I have dyslexia

lucylove1990
12-18-14, 04:09 AM
When I was talking to the doctor at my last appointment she mentioned that she wants me to get tested for learning disabilities and she thinks I could have dyslexia.

I always thought dyslexia was reading words backwards. So I thought no I don't do that. But then I started thinking. How would I know if I did that? Sure I can read. But maybe I do see words differently than other people but that's just the way I see them and learned them so how would I know it's different than how other people see them? Then I read a little online and learned that dyslexia isn't just reading words backwards.

I took several online assessment quizzes and they all resulted in strong possibility of dyslexia. I have always struggled in school but never thought I could have a learning disability. I have just always felt stupid to be honest.

Could anyone tell me where to go from here? How do I get officially tested? Where do I Go for that?

Maurice
12-18-14, 10:32 PM
When I was talking to the doctor at my last appointment she mentioned that she wants me to get tested for learning disabilities and she thinks I could have dyslexia.

I always thought dyslexia was reading words backwards. So I thought no I don't do that. But then I started thinking. How would I know if I did that? Sure I can read. But maybe I do see words differently than other people but that's just the way I see them and learned them so how would I know it's different than how other people see them? Then I read a little online and learned that dyslexia isn't just reading words backwards.

I took several online assessment quizzes and they all resulted in strong possibility of dyslexia. I have always struggled in school but never thought I could have a learning disability. I have just always felt stupid to be honest.

Could anyone tell me where to go from here? How do I get officially tested? Where do I Go for that?

Yes, not just reading backwards. Also inverting numbers when writing them down. I knew a guy once that said he got very frustrated at stores. Because he would find something he thought costs $10.00 and when he went to check out the cashier told him $100.00 plus tax!

I was surprised that how many peeps that are ADD are also dyslexia. Sounds like it would be very frustrating to say the least.

I am pretty sure you need to see a pyschiatrist to go through a day of testing. One of those tests where there really aren't any right or wrong answers.

Best of luck to you!

dvdnvwls
12-19-14, 03:41 AM
Dyslexia is not just backwards reading, it's more like messed-up or difficult reading because printing looks different to you than it does to most others. If you find that you are very slow at reading, or if you notice that you tend to see printed material differently than others seem to see it - or if your doctor thinks you might have it - then it would make sense to get checked for it.

AshT
06-21-15, 07:16 PM

I don't really read backwards or see letters backwards and I have Dyslexia. The assessment person was surprised it hadn't been picked up.

What I do have trouble with is translating what I can see onto paper. So in primary school I would have backwards written e's and stuff. I could see it was backwards, I just couldn't translate it onto paper. I still, to this day, cannot draw curly braces: { } on paper.

Have you asked your doctor where she thinks you should get tested? I was in university at the time and they assessed me. Apparently the rate of having dyslexia and ADHD is 50%. I.e if you're dyslexic you have 50% chance of ADHD and the vice versa.

Divertente
06-22-15, 02:06 AM
I was finally diagnosed in my late 30's with dyslexia. Dyslexia wasn't a surprise for me as I struggled for years with reading starting from kindergarden. There are different kinds of dyslexia and degrees as you're learning so it will take time to sort it all out for you.

My philosphy on something this important is find the very best doctors you can afford.

At the time I had very good health insurance but unfortunately my insurance covered very little on the testing so I ended up spending a few thousand dollars out of pocket but it was worth it.

It takes time to find the right doctors and resources so take your time and keep looking until you know you got the best.

I recommend reaching out to the best and closest medical school or univerity near you and see who is doing dylexia research there.

I lived in San Francisco so I reached out to folks in the Stanford University Medical School and got referrals that way.

I think it's important to stay away from unproven testing techniques at this time... go with the hard science mainstream cutting edge doctors and maybe later try the other stuff.

dvdnvwls
06-22-15, 02:24 AM
Dyslexia is not just one symptom. The name "dyslexia" essentially means "difficult reading" or "messed up reading", and that's pretty much the truth of it.

Word shapes, letter shapes, reversals, confusions... in fact it doesn't even have to be language. I've met a person whose dyslexia severely affected his career in music. What all dyslexics seem to me to have in common is that between the page and the brain something goes wrong. It's not (AFAIK) a comprehension problem at all, but an anomaly in the actual business of reading.

stef
06-22-15, 10:56 AM
This is intriguing, my boss (whose son is dyslexic), has said to me several times that I have dyslexia, which I completely denied because I have no trouble reading, at all, I love words and I actually could read before school. but I inverse numbers and have a terrible sense of direction. or mix up nstructions etc and as dvd wrote "between the page and the brain something goes wrong". I have trouble writing the sign for euros ( € ).
also for example, I never know if it's Kayne West or Kanye West.

dvdnvwls
06-22-15, 01:31 PM
Dyslexia is also very obviously not an indicator of intelligence or skill. My dyslexic acquaintances include one of the finest musicians I've ever heard, and a little boy who couldn't get letters and numbers the right way around and who has since grown up to be a professor in mathematics. :yes: Dyslexia is certainly a problem (from mild to severe) in itself, but doesn't necessarily affect the person's entire functioning.

dvdnvwls
06-22-15, 01:36 PM
I have trouble writing the sign for euros ( ).Nah, you're just stingy. ;)

also for example, I never know if it's Kayne West or Kanye West.Wherever he goes, New York is in his heart. :) (KaNYe)

Abi
06-22-15, 01:57 PM
I can't write an ampersand &.

Not dyslexic though.

dvdnvwls
06-22-15, 03:09 PM

Not dyslexic though.

Anything that reminds people of a cursive E with a small t attached to it is good enough... doesn't have to look like &.

A backwards 3 with a cross-stroke through the end would probably work fine.

Abi
06-22-15, 03:11 PM
I use a backwards 3 with a vertical line through it.

Skyf@ll
06-22-15, 05:53 PM

Not dyslexic though.

I turned up at Toga party dressed as a goat.

Not dyslexic though.

dvdnvwls
06-22-15, 09:08 PM
Abi: this is maybe off topic, but definitely not meriting a new thread. :)

Most ampersands used in typeset fonts are an unnatural stunt in terms of writing with a pen. They're often a bit of a creative outlet for the type designer, since having an obtrusively fancy ampersand is more accepted than having one of your letters stand out in that way.

Look at the one in the Gentium font - you can do that one. Start at the bottom with the long straight upwards/backwards line, then curve to the right to start making the bowl.

But your backwards 3 with a stroke through might be more realistic as something for ordinary use.

BellaVita
06-23-15, 02:09 AM
Abi: this is maybe off topic, but definitely not meriting a new thread. :)

Most ampersands used in typeset fonts are an unnatural stunt in terms of writing with a pen. They're often a bit of a creative outlet for the type designer, since having an obtrusively fancy ampersand is more accepted than having one of your letters stand out in that way.

Look at the one in the Gentium font - you can do that one. Start at the bottom with the long straight upwards/backwards line, then curve to the right to start making the bowl.

But your backwards 3 with a stroke through might be more realistic as something for ordinary use.

You should be a teacher or something. :)

stef
06-23-15, 07:10 AM
I turned up at Toga party dressed as a goat.

Not dyslexic though.

I just got this now! :lol:

Divertente
06-30-15, 04:35 AM
15 Things To Remember If You Love A Person With Dyslexia

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/15-things-remember-you-love-person-with-dyslexia.html?ref=fbp&n=2

"Part of the problem is that the letters in the English language can have many different sounds. Think of the letter a. It can have five different sounds as in safe, apple, alive, acorn and wash. Now in Spanish, the letter a always has the same sound so that is why there is not nearly as much dyslexia among Spanish speakers or other languages where there are regular phonetic rules."