View Full Version : I can't follow conversations

Terowyn
12-19-14, 06:29 PM
I'm currently in a depressive episode of Bipolar Disorder (I'm diagnosed bipolar and ADD). I have a very hard time following simple conversations, whether it be in real-life, or a sitcom on TV. For example, my parents were telling me about how a car accident they got into occurred, and I got lost after one sentence.

I know depression can mess with your concentration, but is this normal for someone with co-morbid ADD? It honestly feels like I'm severely brain-damaged or something.

I'm not being treated for the ADD yet, as my psychiatrist wants to treat the Bipolar first.

Corina86
12-20-14, 03:14 PM
Depression can increase some ADHD symptoms (like lack of concentration or poor working memory). Sadly, this is normal. I think your psychiatrist is doing the right thing by treating the bipolar first, because most ADHD medication can increase the manic symptoms during the manic phase. Hope whatever he's giving you for the bipolar disorder will start helping you soon!

dvdnvwls
12-20-14, 03:20 PM
Being depressed can be very distracting, and at the same time it dulls your perception.

fracturedstory
12-21-14, 04:03 AM
For me, bipolar depression can slow down my cognitive functions. I have somewhat of a speech disorder and my god does it ever get worse when I'm depressed. I couldn't even remember the word 'armor.' And I'm not sure if 'amamaments' is how you pronounce armaments.

Terowyn
12-24-14, 06:41 PM
Thank you guys :)

I have problems with speech while I'm depressed as well. When I'm not depressed, I speak fluently, but when I'm depressed, I tend to stutter or have problems getting words out without sounding like an idiot.

It's just really scaring me because of a bunch of concussions I've had in the past, and it feels like the description for receptive aphasia (basically brain damage that makes it hard for you to understand speech and writing).

Abi
12-24-14, 06:56 PM
The latest research shows that cognitive impairments in bipolar persons persist in euthymic (ie. Non depresed, non manic) phases as well.

As such these symptoms can be wholly attributed to bipolar and do not necessitate an additional adhd diagnosis.

Some research has shown that memantine (namenda) can help with cognitive deficits in bipolar.

Terowyn
12-24-14, 07:38 PM
I did read about cognitive impairment in euthymic patients, which is kind of depressing in itself.

As for the ADHD diagnosis, my psychiatrist seemed pretty confident about it. I also have all the ADHD symptoms, but I'm still a little bit confused as to whether or not I have co-morbid disorders. I was also on Vyvanse for a bit, which honestly helped a lot with socializing.