View Full Version : Are these symptoms?

Terowyn
12-24-14, 06:36 PM
I have a very hard time following a conversation or reading/listening to long sentences. I am also diagnosed Bipolar and posted in that section, but I've noticed that these problems persist even when I'm not depressed.

When I watch TV sitcoms, like The Big Bang Theory or Seinfeld, I'll find that I get lost in many of the conversations the characters are having. If I try to read a sentence or paragraph that's too long, I'll get completely lost halfway through it. I don't think I'm explaining this well, but hopefully you'll understand.

So are these classic symptoms? I keep fearing that this is a result of brain damage from concussions I've had (6 total, 2 from being jumped and hit in the head multiple times).

If you had any similar issues, did medication help?

anonymouslyadd
12-24-14, 06:46 PM
I have a very hard time following a conversation or reading/listening to long sentences. I am also diagnosed Bipolar and posted in that section, but I've noticed that these problems persist even when I'm not depressed.

When I watch TV sitcoms, like The Big Bang Theory or Seinfeld, I'll find that I get lost in many of the conversations the characters are having. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well, but hopefully you'll understand.

So are classic these classic symptoms? I keep fearing that this is a result of brain damage from concussions I've had (6 total, 2 from being jumped and hit in the head multiple times).

Yes, medication helps me with conversations and movies. Although, I still have to fight in order to pay attention. In other words, the medication gives you the ability to focus longer, but it's an effort to use that ability.

I would find an online questionnaire for ADD to give you a better idea of your symptoms and those found with ADD. In some cases, Bipolar and ADD symptoms overlap making a diagnosis more tricky.

Issues with ADD embody, inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity. ADDers have problems with short term memory and memory recall. ADDers have a difficult time finishing things, leaving many projects unfinished. There are others, too.

Terowyn
12-24-14, 06:49 PM
I've actually already been diagnosed ADD, probably should've mentioned that >.>

I'm just being treated for the bipolar disorder before the ADD (pretty sure I'm the inattentive or combined type)

I was just wondering if these symptoms are normal for someone with the disorder

Edit: I also made a copy of this topic in another section of the forum, I realized that it's probably more suitable for the inattentive sub-forum

michaelaisabell
12-25-14, 12:30 AM
Yup classic adhd symptoms.

Batman55
12-25-14, 01:01 AM
(Sorry, this is my second thread with the same content, but I realized that this sub-forum is probably more appropriate)

When I watch TV sitcoms, like The Big Bang Theory or Seinfeld, I'll find that I get lost in many of the conversations the characters are having. If I try to read a sentence or paragraph that's too long, I'll get completely lost halfway through it. I don't think I'm explaining this well, but hopefully you'll understand.

So are these classic symptoms? I keep fearing that this is a result of brain damage from concussions I've had (6 total, 2 from being jumped and hit in the head multiple times).

In the bold print: These are definitely symptoms. None of us can speculate on causation, but these are certainly classic symptoms of ADD-I. I have all of them.

About reading: I can't even get through most novels anymore without giving up, because the short term memory problems means I have to re-read much of it... or suddenly I lose my focus... or I get bored... or otherwise I don't get the "meaning" of what is going on and have to stop and think about it.

If a book is complicated or boring, it can take me longer than 6 months to get through it, although I just read a few pages per day because that taxes my brain so much, I just have to stop. Non-fiction written in a clear and concise style, no "subtext" or layered meaning, it's a lot different... I can get through it much faster.

add_me
12-26-14, 12:38 PM
I can't sit though a movie, I'll get bored and just stop following the story line. I'll sit and try to remember the name of the actors in the movie, so that too will distract me from the story line. If I watch a simple light sit com before I fall asleep, I have a hard time remembering the episode the next morning.

Terowyn
12-27-14, 01:56 PM
How effective has medication been at reversing these symptoms?

michaelaisabell
12-27-14, 03:05 PM
How effective has medication been at reversing these symptoms?

That varies greatly from person to person

Terowyn
01-03-15, 04:22 PM
Hmm, okay. Can untreated ADHD feel like it's "brain damage"? If you had no idea that you had ADHD, could you possibly resort to thinking there's something seriously wrong with your brain?

I'm sorry that I'm sounding redundant, and kind of asking the same questions more than once, but I'm constantly freaking myself out. I can't watch the news or the simplest movie, and I keep thinking that I'm permanently damaged in some way or another. I can't even follow a simple conversation.

fracturedstory
01-03-15, 08:25 PM
That's how I feel a lot of the time. I was very proud of myself last night for reading a few pages of a Doctor Who story book, but this morning even with the nutrients (Omega 3) I'm still finding it hard to focus. It's like I wasted all my energy and focus into just a few pages of a book.

I can focus on the news when I'm interested enough to. I usually watch 3 different news programs before the information sinks in though. With movies I need it to be absolutely quiet and to have snacks on hand, so I'm doing some kind of movement which helps me focus better.

Pilgrim
01-04-15, 12:33 AM
Hmm, okay. Can untreated ADHD feel like it's "brain damage"? If you had no idea that you had ADHD, could you possibly resort to thinking there's something seriously wrong with your brain?

I'm sorry that I'm sounding redundant, and kind of asking the same questions more than once, but I'm constantly freaking myself out. I can't watch the news or the simplest movie, and I keep thinking that I'm permanently damaged in some way or another. I can't even follow a simple conversation.

ADD I guess can feel like brain damage. An off label use of Stimulints is a severe head injury.
But not in your case.
Medication helps a lot to focus and filter. But it's not a magic bullet. Just a tool.
Goodluck

Greyhound1
01-04-15, 12:48 AM

I felt a sense of relief to be diagnosed ADHD. Before then, I was convinced it was much worse after years of confusion and wrong treatments. So for me, it felt like brain damage or a host of mental illness'.

My diagnosis made all the weird pieces of me fit together. Finally, a lot of things in my life made sense.

Terowyn
01-07-15, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should just accept that my brain is probably fine and it's the ADHD. That's what my doctor seems to believe as well.

I know it's different for everyone, but has medication helped you guys when it comes to reading and listening to people? And to what extent?

Fuzzy12
01-07-15, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should just accept that my brain is probably fine and it's the ADHD. That's what my doctor seems to believe as well.

I know it's different for everyone, but has medication helped you guys when it comes to reading and listening to people? And to what extent?

Yes, it has hugely helped me with both reading and listening to people. I still struggle to start reading but once I do when medicated, it's easier to not lose focus.