View Full Version : Xanax vs Ativan, which is better?

noradd
12-27-14, 04:45 AM
I have only taken ativan 1mg so far. Never any other benzo.
1mg ativan isn't really strong or noticable. So I wonder how does
xanax compare to ativan? Is it stronger or weaker? Do you need more
xanax or less xanax?

Abi
12-27-14, 05:21 AM
Equal per mg, but xanax works faster and wears off faster.

Do you have more of a generalised anxiety condition or panic attacks?

Peachy87
12-27-14, 06:07 AM
I was only prescribed Xanax once in my life. And it was horrible. If you are in the middle of a panic attack, it's a life saver. But if you suffer from anxiety (me) xanax just made me loopy and tired. I take Klonopin. And that works wonders bc it doesn't make me sleepy and takes away my anxious feelings. But be careful with the xanax. My mother many years ago had a doctor prescribing her WAY too high of a dose, and she became addicted to it eventually and when she flushed them and decided to stop, it was the scariest thing id ever see. She had to be put in the hospital for like. A week to detox off it bc she was hallucinating and thought people were trying to hurt her. Being 17 years old and seeing that and having your mother ask you to listen to her sweatshirt because it was talking to her, really had an impact on me, still to this day. So the only time I will ever take Xanax is when I have to fly bc it scares the crap out of me. Sorry for the ramble and probably off-topic story, that's just my experience with Xanax. What is Ativan? I'm figuring a benzo, but how is it diff from valium, klonopin, Xanax etc.?

Abi
12-27-14, 06:14 AM
Ativan is a slow acting benzo most similar in half life to Klonopin.

Peachy87
12-27-14, 06:34 AM
Ativan is a slow acting benzo most similar in half life to Klonopin.

Ahhhh. Thank you thank you. :)

noradd
01-06-15, 04:37 PM
I have GAD, rarely panic attacks.

Is ativan the better choice for me? I was just thinking maybe xanax is stronger. Cause I dont feel much when I take 1mg ativan. It's not really very strong.

Abi
01-06-15, 04:49 PM
Try upping your ativan to 2mg. Alternatively you can try 1 mg Klonopin or 2 mg xanax xr.

noradd
01-10-15, 11:17 AM
But if I take 2mg ativan prn then will this raise the change of addiction or getting used to it? Or doesn't it matter if I take 1mg every now and then or 2mg?

Abi
01-10-15, 11:19 AM
Don't take it prn for gad. Take it consistently twice a day.
You will technically get addicted and you may have to up your dose some years down the line, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

noradd
01-10-15, 11:24 AM
But my doc won't support this. I must only take it prn.
Docs are way too scared of benzos for daily use.

And since I read a study where it says benzos cause dementia I also wouldnt want to be on them all the time. This seems too risky for me.

My doc offered lyrica but I am too scared of it. I read a lot of bad things about it. I also tried 100mg daily and I felt like it made me forgetful.

Abi
01-10-15, 11:26 AM
Okay. Your choice.

noradd
01-10-15, 11:36 AM
Do you take benzos full time?

What would also scares me is what if I took benzos daily and they still wouldnt really help much? What then? I mean do they totally cancel out ANY fear?

Abi
01-10-15, 11:38 AM
I take 1 mg Klonopin 3 times a day.

They do not cancel out any fear but they help more than any other meds.

Abi
01-10-15, 11:40 AM
If benzos don't work you could try an ssri or maybe buspar or territory or some other me.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 02:51 PM
Neither, for long term use use Valium or Librium unless you want to use the extended release Xanax which is new and expensive.

noradd
01-10-15, 03:05 PM
SSRI do nothing for me. I was on 20 mg lexapro neither depression,ocd nor gad got better.

I don't know librium. Is librium safer than lyrica?
Could it be combined with stimulants and snri?
Cause that would be important for me.

I highly doubt that my doc would give me klonopin for daily use. I asked him about xanax and he also was against it.

Abi
01-10-15, 03:29 PM
Your doc is too conservative.

Fire him.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 04:16 PM
I don't know librium. Is librium safer than lyrica?
Could it be combined with stimulants and snri?
Cause that would be important for me.

Librium is a benzodiazepine, in fact the first one ever discovered. Valium is a simplified version of it. It can be mixed with stimulants, to "take the edge off" of them. It is not a stimulant, but a sedative and hypnotic drug. Klonopin is also a benzodiazepine, so they are in the same family of drugs (as well as alprazolam [Xanax]).

noradd
01-13-15, 03:42 PM
So basically librium has the same disadvantages of other benzos but on top of that also more side effects and interactions? Then why take it and not a newer benzo? I have a book where librium is not recommended because of the side effect profile. I thought librium wouldn't cause addiction or dependence like other benzos.

noradd
01-14-15, 06:52 PM
I asked my doc about librium. He just looked at me with a blank stare and then said that it's not any better than new benzos and that was it.
I guess being afraid is better than going on a benzo. Yay!

Raye
01-16-15, 07:49 AM
Xanax is a lot more potent IMO and as Abi
said, wears off more fast.

clydethompson
03-07-15, 04:20 AM
in my opinion xanax oddly enough. It felt more like it hit the mental blockage of thoughts which was my problem at the time. However the threshold for effects made it useless to me (two different occasions, ended at 6mg a day however with improved coping skills 2-3mg was fine).

Ativan seemed more like it focused on the body with light mental fuzzyness, didnt seem to help much in the social spectrum. However carrying a more relaxed body eased the mind a bit. I'd describe it as something between klonopin and xanax. Personally I thought it was horrible for the purpose, more like a buzz drug. I discontinued after two weeks (went to the 6mg xanax, less of a buzz more relief but greater mental haze-memory impairment).

Klonopin is by and large the safest to my knowledge- clear head and worked just as fast as xanax if I had a panic attack. Not as strong per say but also not quasi drunk all day. My personal favorite and safer than valium (allegedly) for long term.

Valium works, for a lot of things, but in my withdrawing opinion shouldn't be used long term. The anxiety doesnt go away if you cant learn to cope- or whatever may need to be done. Year and a half @20mg/day, down to 5mg after about 2 months. Most painfully all inclusive set of withdrawal symptoms far worse than describing them is worth.

If your choosing, why not consider a daily beta-blocker with Klonopin? Benzos shouldn't necessarily be felt on the daily... thats basically just socially acceptable (functional) drunkenness. I say this because my memory is gone for 2 years of my life (where you at early dementia?). Not worth feeling better exactly. If I do go back on benzos after I'm done withdrawing, it'll be klonopin.