View Full Version : ADD + OCD should cancel each other out and make me perfect, right?

OhLookABunny
12-28-14, 06:42 PM
I asked my doctor this once and she just laughed. My reasoning was that with ADD I forget a lot of things whereas with OCD I can't get my mind off things. Too bad it doesn't really work that way, eh? :umm1: Well, and I have other anxiety disorders into the mix as well so I guess even if it were true it probably wouldn't apply to me. Darn the luck! :doh:

Sometimes too the OCD just makes me brood over the dumb things the ADD made happen! :mad:

Greyhound1
12-28-14, 11:11 PM
I asked my doctor this once and she just laughed. My reasoning was that with ADD I forget a lot of things whereas with OCD I can't get my mind off things. Too bad it doesn't really work that way, eh? :umm1: Well, and I have other anxiety disorders into the mix as well so I guess even if it were true it probably wouldn't apply to me. Darn the luck! :doh:

Sometimes too the OCD just makes me brood over the dumb things the ADD made happen! :mad:

I wish the title of your thread were true. I would be so perfect. Instead of perfect it works pretty much for me as your last line says.

BellaVita
12-29-14, 02:20 AM
I wish the title of your thread were true. I would be so perfect. Instead of perfect it works pretty much for me as your last line says.

Yep.

Also this: ADHD makes me spend extra long on things.

Then OCD makes me spend extra long on things to make them perfect.

This = I spend extra hours on things during the day that shouldn't take that long, thanks to ADHD and OCD together.

sarahsweets
12-29-14, 08:10 AM
On the surface it sounds like that should be true but with ocd no one can control what they obsess about. For some some its constant washing of the hands or numbers.

OhLookABunny
12-29-14, 10:56 AM
My particular flavor of OCD has been less of the "C" and much much more of the "O." In other words, I'm not a hand-washer that much - I suppose there are some behavioral aspects, but they are secondary.

No, my big bugbear is intrusive, obsessive, irrational yet hard to get rid of or dismiss "bad thoughts." The big one is fear of "losing it" when I get a panic attack. And the panic attacks have their own triggers. Weirdly enough, the triggers themselves have morphed over the years - or sometimes I can have triggers at either extreme of a spectrum. For example, driving in too heavy traffic on a hot glarey day is anxiety-provoking. But driving late at night when the streets are deserted is also anxiety-provoking - for different reasons. In the former, I fear the claustrophobia and the danger of a crash, I guess. In the latter, it's being spooked and too alone with my thoughts. And maybe a tad of crime depending on what neighborhood I have to go through - but it's mainly internal.

My "bad thoughts" have run the gamut over the years - I was 6-1/2 when my grandpa died and it was the first funeral I attended and I think I was anxious over my mom's grief. That coincidentally happened to be the year I was being prepped for First Confession and First Holy Communion so I was educated about sin and Heaven and Hell and such. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to this day to be Catholic - but it's possible the instruction back then was a bit overwhelming - or at least for a super-sensitive kid like me. So I would start fearing I'd committed a sin, and I'd get intrusive thoughts that were negative about God. Later, in college, I went through a period of "scrupulosity" which is basically OCD about religious or spiritual matters.

Well, I found a priest who was an expert at helping people with that and so things got better, and my image of God improved from a "zap you with lightning" image to a loving, merciful Father. But around that time the general panic attacks and agoraphobia started. Those were more about everyday life and trying to move into an adult career but bringing my anxiety baggage with me and my naivete' and inexperience being assertive with people. I was trying to teach - and not good at bearing the weight of being an "authority figure." I wasn't diagnosed with ADD (which was probably one big factor in my lack of confidence; there were others) until my 30s.

Then I had a panic attack while driving and that was the gateway into agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is somewhat misunderstood by a lot of people. It's not so much about not wanting to leave your house, though there are a subset of agoraphobics who are that way. But really, the overarching issue is that you don't want to do whatever things are your triggers unless you can find a way to feel emotionally safe while doing them. Often having a safe person - compassionate, not pushy, etc. is a way to feel safe and be able to do more things.

When I feel unsafe and started to panic, the OCD will kick in and start telling me things like I'm going to go crazy or even be tempted to do something unsafe like drive off a bridge. I can't stand to be anywhere near an open balcony high up, or on a prolonged elevated highway or highways in general - things like that. I know consciously that I'm not suicidal but I fear I'll be unable to resist. The anxiety escalates into a full-blown panic attack.

I take a lot of "comforts" along with me when I go somewhere - backpack with my cell phone chargers - I have two cell phones in case something happens to one :o - projects to occupy my mind if I get stranded, Bible and prayer books, even a small stuffed bunny. And always a water bottle. My getting ready to go routines would certainly look obsessive to most people. Part of that is being prepared for being "stuck" in a panic trigger situation, and the rest is ADD-anxiety about not forgetting anything, which would make me furious and upset later. :doh::mad:

So basically I'm a mess, LOL. :rolleyes:

acdc01
12-29-14, 04:14 PM
It seems to me they do cancel things out sometimes and other times makes them doubly as bad.

I don't have OCD but my dad has OCD/ADHD.

I'm always amazed that he always remembers to do certain routine chores every day (he's compulsed to do them) that I can never remember to do ever.

But he's also always organizing the garage cause he feels compelled to do so even though people always ask him not to. They get made cause he forgets where he "organized" everything to so it's really disorganizing, not organizing.

Maybe I'm seeing things, but it does seem like many of the successful business owners on this board have both OCD and ADHD instead of just ADHD.

OhLookABunny
01-07-15, 06:02 PM
It seems to me they do cancel things out sometimes and other times makes them doubly as bad.

I don't have OCD but my dad has OCD/ADHD.

I'm always amazed that he always remembers to do certain routine chores every day (he's compulsed to do them) that I can never remember to do ever.

But he's also always organizing the garage cause he feels compelled to do so even though people always ask him not to. They get made cause he forgets where he "organized" everything to so it's really disorganizing, not organizing.

Maybe I'm seeing things, but it does seem like many of the successful business owners on this board have both OCD and ADHD instead of just ADHD.

I wanted to be an entrepreneur but had wrecked my finances so badly - plus I don't know if I could handle the "managerial" part. But if I had enough seed money (know any rich benefactors? :D ) I could hire the management part out and just be the one-woman think tank.