View Full Version : Emotions and Words

BellaVita
12-29-14, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure if some of you remember the "what do you think in?" thread, where we discussed what we think in. (Words, images, etc...)

I have this thing, where I feel emotions when I see words. I can't really describe the emotion, but I identify words and define them in my head based on the feeling they give me. (Which is what allows me to use words correctly)

Also, I can't say certain words and dislike hearing certain words because they cause an unsettling response inside of me, like trigger anger or feeling uneasy.

I get instant rage when I see some words.

Anyone similar?

Is there a scientific term for this attaching emotions to certain words? Defining words by the emotions they cause?

Words = feelings = definition of word IS the feeling

Does everyone experience it but just not talk about it? Or do only some people experience it?

This is also why I feel more connected to someone and emotionally attached when they type words to me instead of hearing their voice.

It's like each word causes an emotional reaction in me, like seeing someone's name I love causes warm loving feelings inside of me. And so I associate seeing their name typed out with love.

Words comfort me, words are the world I exist in.

stef
12-29-14, 05:01 AM
Bella ! :grouphug:

This is exactly my relation with words. Also I have "taste synesthesia" so certain words actually have a "flavor". I don't know how many people experience these kinds of things, but I totally understand you!

SB_UK
12-29-14, 10:54 AM
lawyer rage
private medicine rage
fossil fuel rage
car rage
class rage
money rage
salesman rage
advertising/marketing rage
plastic rage
nuclear power rage
professional sport rage
soap opera rage

SB_UK
12-29-14, 10:59 AM
summary

rage against the machine

Wowwowwow
12-29-14, 12:39 PM
It's the pictures that get me,it's like the largest part of stimulating me in any way!

Little Missy
12-29-14, 07:23 PM
lawyer rage
private medicine rage
fossil fuel rage
car rage
class rage
money rage
salesman rage
advertising/marketing rage
plastic rage
nuclear power rage
professional sport rage
soap opera rage

huh, sounds pretty ragey

mildadhd
12-30-14, 12:39 AM
Interesting,

I don't claim to completely understand, but I have things besides words (maybe words as well?) that I have attached certain secondary and tertiary emotion and thoughts to, I want to think about the connections more...

We feel emotions in the lower subcortical area. (Affective consciousness)

We think about emotions in the higher neocortical area. (Cognitive consciousness)

We are born with the ability to consciously feel basic emotions.(instinct)

We are not born with the ability to consciously think in specific words, languages. (Learned)

Preverbal non verbal emotional communication occurs through sight, sound, smell, touch, etc, before we have the ability to emotionally communicate in specific words.

Does words with the same meaning, but in different languages, have the same effect?

Example:

hello, bonjour, guten tag, etc...

P

SB_UK
12-30-14, 05:57 AM
huh, sounds pretty ragey

ju$t 1 ba$ic rage

mildadhd
12-30-14, 09:34 AM
ju$t 1 ba$ic rage

RAGE is a raw basic primary emotional affect. (Instinct)

But anger due to experience with money is secondary and tertiary emotion.

P

BellaVita
01-02-15, 01:54 AM
Interesting,

I don't claim to completely understand, but I have things besides words (maybe words as well?) that I have attached certain secondary and tertiary emotion and thoughts to, I want to think about the connections more...

We feel emotions in the lower subcortical area. (Affective consciousness)

We think about emotions in the higher neocortical area. (Cognitive consciousness)

We are born with the ability to consciously feel basic emotions.(instinct)

We are not born with the ability to consciously think in specific words, languages. (Learned)

Preverbal non verbal emotional communication occurs through sight, sound, smell, touch, etc, before we have the ability to emotionally communicate in specific words.

Does words with the same meaning, but in different languages, have the same effect?

Example:

hello, bonjour, guten tag, etc...

P

They all produce a "feeling" inside of me which counts as the definition, yes.

Each word produces a different and unique feeling.

stef
01-02-15, 04:39 AM
They all produce a "feeling" inside of me which counts as the definition, yes.

Each word produces a different and unique feeling.

Exactly!
These are all simple greetings - but they are immensely different to me.

Guten Tag - i remember visiting Germany, the streets and houses, getting coffee in the morning! it is totally different from Bonjour to colleagues, which is completely different to saying hello to an American friend!