View Full Version : New Years Resolution, Get Help!

Gregoire1
12-31-14, 11:07 AM
First post. I've never been formally diagnosed, but, after reading a blog last week, I now realize that ADD is a devastating disability and it's ruining my life.
I am an adult male, with close relatives with this disorder. I've always know I had symptoms, but just never connected the dots. It's costing me my marriage, threatening my job, and causing me so much anxiety, it's affecting my health.
I have no friends, am so disorganized, I can't do simple home repairs, manage our finances, or remember what anyone says to me. The resentment from my wife has reached its limit.

I've made an appointment with a psychiatrist for next month.

Can someone please tell me there's hope.

Unmanagable
12-31-14, 04:45 PM
There's always hope, it's just really difficult to find or recognize some days. You've found a great place to learn more and seek support. Wishing you the best in finding what works for you in helping to manage your symptoms. Welcome.

Dreamsage
01-01-15, 12:03 PM
Welcome! :grouphug:
Well, by personal experience, ADHD can be manageable. It just can eat a bit too much time and effort and energy, until you figure a way around the symptoms. Maybe a few years, even (depending on the symptom, person, approach e.t.c.) But it can be done more or less, and it's worth it. It transforms your daily life to the better along the way, and solves many problems.

I could hardly come across as a functional person till my 24. Now I'm 27 and, although ADHD is still here, I can't believe how much my life has changed, and how "normal" I feel! I still have social and financial troubles, but keep improving. Now I have a job, several good friends (who don't mind my condition either), and people willing to help with my dreams. Also, way less anxiety compared to before. Which also helps with having better control of life.
So, don't let it bring you down! It's a fight, and maybe not 100% solvable, but quite far from a life sentence :)

Gregoire1
01-01-15, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Unmanagable and Dreamsage, I guess I've kinda spiraled lately. (Been spiraling all along, just wasn't aware of it). If I could only concentrate!

I have an appointment, and it's a new year!

Dreamsage
01-02-15, 12:59 AM
There are a few tricks that help with concentration...for example, I listen to my fave music when I work. I also do some stretching and an hour of PC/videogames in the morning, with a cup of coffee. It helps me in starting the day with better dopamine levels and better concentration. And always find some quiet "alone time" later in the day, to think on stuff and pull myself together. And always try to find the fun part in every situation, it makes my "dopamine chase" much easier :)

You can find more concentrating tips in the forums, research until you find out what works best for you. It's our own treasure hunt, haha :D

tester
01-03-15, 07:54 AM
Hi Gregoire1, and welcome,
Yes, there is hope :) Congratulations on taking the first (and perhaps hardest step) of booking for a formal assessment... getting formally diagnosed is step one...

step two... and please don't shy away from step two... I caused my girlfriend (now beautiful wife) unnecessary heartache by fearing (and delaying) getting properly medicated... I can best describe the change from no medication, to proper medication with the following analogy...

I truly didn't realize how poor my eye sight was, until I got my first pair of glasses... and although I always knew my wife was a beautiful woman, I never truly realized how beautiful she was until I could see her clearly... the world became clearer

it's 5am, so i'll sign off now... good luck, and wishes for your success !!