View Full Version : Hating food on Dexedrine/Adderall

Sydney228
12-31-14, 11:24 AM
I am currently prescribed 2 x 15mg Dexedrine ER every morning. I feel like Dexedrine definitely isn't the PERFECT med for me, but it is a heck of a lot better than all of the side effects I experienced on Adderall, and I am just too scared to try another med because I don't want to waste a month of "productivity" before my next dr visit if it doesn't work.

But anyways... I feel like when I take my prescribed dose, I literally hate food. My husband is an athlete and needs to eat a lot during the day, and I literally loathe the thought of cooking for him because I just have zero interest in food. I feel bad, I used to be such a foodie and love to cook and eat, now I feel like I lost all creativity and enjoyment in the kitchen. I normally will take half of my prescribed dose in order to at least have somewhat of an appetite a few times a week, but that mean that I get nothing else done and I am a total scatterbrain as a tradeoff.

Does anyone else have experience with the total loss of enjoyment with food? How can I find a good balance between eating and getting the benefits of my prescribed dose of Dexedrine? I usually eat breakfast before my morning dose, but lunch and dinner are a major struggle.

dag nab it
01-03-15, 11:17 AM
When you skip the Dex, does your appetite come back? If it does, on those days jot down things that would be good to eat in your "to do" notebook. Then later, when you are on the meds, use your Dex organizing skills to make food plans based on your written ideas and available ingredients. Remember, you don't need to eat all of that stuff yourself! Leftovers can be frozen for quick meals later.

I have a teen at home who is often hungry during the day. I do not enjoy fixing food - and neither does he. To reduce the "what can I eat?" dilemma I use:

Big Dry Erase Board in the Kitchen & Post-Its!

The far right section of the board has to do with food. [The rest of the board is library due dates and what needs doing today or within the next few days broken down by location.]

Based on what I have at home, I write stickies. Then later when I have to come up with the food, I'll know what to do! Here are some examples:

"banana/strawberry yogurt" (Overripe bananas mushed with frozen strawberries plus store-bought plain full fat yogurt. If I have enough ingredients for several snacks, I make check boxes and fill them as the portions are eaten - making progress! If I make extra, he'll eat the rest the next day if I top it off with some "fresh" plain yogurt)

"guacamole with tortilla chips" (packs of guacamole and chips from Aldi's)

"pasta and sauce" (both items already frozen in the freezer)

"rice and chili" (rice fixed in rice maker and canned chili topped with cheese. Another one is "rice kippers" which is spiced rice made in the rice maker, then mixed with sauteed onions, canned kippers and fried egg).

"cherry milk shake" (frozen cherries and milk and chocolate protein powder)

"lentil soup with spinach" (saute onions and spinach or chard before adding to canned soup)

"lo mein" (sauteed cabbage and carrots with garlic and ginger that is added to prepared boxed ramen or wider noodles. Can add shrimp or diced leftover meats from the freezer)

"baked beans and hot dogs" or "beans on toast"

"baguette with smoked salmon and cream cheese"

Make your own food choices, of course! As you can see these foods are not from scratch, but you could do the same with ingredient bases you prepare on your own with foods you want to serve. The trick is to list only the foods for which you have all of the ingredients ready at home.

This is also a great way to remember to use almost forgotten frozen foods and the cans that have been sitting in the pantry!

InvitroCanibal
01-26-15, 11:27 PM
I am currently prescribed 2 x 15mg Dexedrine ER every morning. I feel like Dexedrine definitely isn't the PERFECT med for me, but it is a heck of a lot better than all of the side effects I experienced on Adderall, and I am just too scared to try another med because I don't want to waste a month of "productivity" before my next dr visit if it doesn't work.

But anyways... I feel like when I take my prescribed dose, I literally hate food. My husband is an athlete and needs to eat a lot during the day, and I literally loathe the thought of cooking for him because I just have zero interest in food. I feel bad, I used to be such a foodie and love to cook and eat, now I feel like I lost all creativity and enjoyment in the kitchen. I normally will take half of my prescribed dose in order to at least have somewhat of an appetite a few times a week, but that mean that I get nothing else done and I am a total scatterbrain as a tradeoff.

Does anyone else have experience with the total loss of enjoyment with food? How can I find a good balance between eating and getting the benefits of my prescribed dose of Dexedrine? I usually eat breakfast before my morning dose, but lunch and dinner are a major struggle.

Take less

michaelaisabell
01-27-15, 12:39 AM
Maybe try taking 2/3 of your prescribed dose?

Matt329
02-04-15, 08:07 AM
Take before breakfast and wait 20 mins to eat. Strongest effects result from this but time it right or you won't want to eat those pancakes all
Of a sudden!

Cotter67
06-20-15, 11:16 AM
this is an issue for me as well, I just don't feel like eating at all, food just isn't appealing, tried whey protein but that contains stimulants that make me anxious, its difficult to do a food shop because I don't know whether im going to be able to eat it.

dvdnvwls
06-20-15, 11:48 AM
As InvitroCanibal pointed out, your dosage may be too high. Except if it's your first week or two on this medication, in which case wait a while before judging.

The essence of the situation is that you must eat a good meal at each meal time even if you don't want to. Having food already prepared is one of the best steps you can take.

Some people have taken this opportunity to say "If I'm going to have to make myself eat and plan it all, then it had better be healthier food than I've eaten in the past".

Cotter67
06-20-15, 12:32 PM
whey protein really bloats my stomach and I don't feel good after it, the though of preparing meals feels like a mountain too climb for me, I hate the thought of cooking.

dvdnvwls
06-20-15, 02:19 PM
whey protein really bloats my stomach and I don't feel good after it, the though of preparing meals feels like a mountain too climb for me, I hate the thought of cooking.

Then solve the problem some other way, like buying pre-made healthy foods. If the choice is bad fast food or nothing, the choice is very hard to make.

Little Missy
06-20-15, 04:38 PM

:lol: well, eventually your appetite does return!

sarahsweets
06-21-15, 07:54 AM
Hey, this isnt meant to be harsh but you just have to suck it up. You have to eat and it should be healthy. You may not want to but its a fact. Force yourself. If it still is an issue, maybe its the wrong med.

dag nab it
07-21-15, 06:13 PM
Ginger, Cure for Amphetamine-Caused Lack of Appetite?

Your appetite may be lower on dextroamphetamine in part because amphetamine inhibits gastric emptying - food sits in your stomach longer and thus it lessens hunger. I have an idea you could try to remedy appetite problems: add ginger to your meals. Ginger increases the rate of gastric motility (emptying of the stomach). Thus, theoretically, ginger should speed stomach emptying and increase your hunger - and appetite.

Note that ginger has some side effects - it reduces blood coagulation, reduces blood pressure, and reduces blood sugar (the last point could be related to faster gastric motility). So if you take any medications for related conditions, please check with your MD, first.

Forms of ginger: ginger tablets, powdered ginger, fresh ginger (I keep it in the freezer and grate as much as desired), ginger tea, and candied ginger (found in Chinese markets and in the produce section of some supermarkets, alongside the dried fruits, granola, etc.).

I'd love to hear other points of view on this!

sarahsweets
07-22-15, 04:25 AM
Thats interesting dag nab it, I have just the opposite going on. I have increased emptying.

sarahsweets
07-22-15, 04:30 AM
Hey, this isnt meant to be harsh but you just have to suck it up. You have to eat and it should be healthy. You may not want to but its a fact. Force yourself. If it still is an issue, maybe its the wrong med.
I also meant to say that protein shakes saved my life.

someothertime
07-22-15, 05:16 AM
Another option.... if it's at all possible for you.....

Wake up.....> excercise.......> breakfast........> ( 30min to an hour ).....> meds .......

I'd be very surprised that didn't resolve....... assuming dose is correct...... though i know how challenging it can be to do this without alot of things in place......

dag nab it
07-22-15, 09:40 AM
Thats interesting dag nab it, I have just the opposite going on. I have increased emptying.

What is emptying though? Is it the stomach or the intestines (bowels)?

Dex often stimulates a bowel movement at my end, especially in the a.m., about half an hour after taking it no matter whether I take it early or later in the morning. On the other hand, some people develop constipation from Dex.

Note there is a difference between gastric motility and intestinal motility. Too rapid gastric (stomach) emptying is called "dumping" and its symptoms can include dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, etc. On the other hand, too rapid intestinal motility is a different problem.

The rate of gastric and intestinal motility can improve or reduce the efficacy of Dex. Per my understanding, ideally the medication needs to leave the acid environment of the stomach quickly, but stay in the small intestine long enough to be absorbed. But that is another topic and another thread!