View Full Version : Extreme Thirst, very hungry

BellaVita
01-01-15, 07:41 AM
So...

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on these issues.

(I know, you'll probably say go to the doctor, and I will if needed, but I've had these issues for a while so just wanna see if anyone knows anything)

I'm very thirsty often. I have to chug lots of water because of the extreme thirst I experience.

And yeah I don't just take "little sips" when I'm thirsty, I feel the need (cuz I'm so thirsty) to drink like almost 1 liter...I pee once or twice every hour.

I used to drink like 22 bottles a day, but at one point I drank so much that it caused electrolyte imbalance and I ended up in the hospital.

I've been checked for diabetes when I was younger, so I don't think it could be that.

Also I am hungry ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. I have to eat every 2ish hours - if I go 4 hours I get dizzy and shaky and feel like passing out.

My appetite has gone up, I'm eating sooo much (thankfully I have fast metabolism so weight is okay) but seriously....I'm tired of feeling like I'm STARVING all the time.

I've had that problem since I was a little girl, and so my mom had me bring snacks to school and the teachers would let me eat them throughout the day cuz I'd get shaky and black out if I didn't eat.

Could I just be hypersensitive?

Do you think it's some sort of blood sugar issue?

Also I'm not on stimulants at the moment and I'm like this whether or not I'm on stimulants anyway.

I'm also just kinda interested in medical stuff so wondering if you all know anything about this.

Little Missy
01-01-15, 09:20 AM
hmmmmm, I'm of the school that says: Eat when hungry and drink when thirsty.

But, maybe you should see a doctor. Yet, I also am not a doctor fan so...:confused:

marielynne
01-01-15, 09:25 AM
It sounds like classic symptoms of diabetes or hypoglycemia. In any event, this is not normal and sounds like a metabolic problem. You should absolutely see a doctor and get a work up to rule out anything serious.

willow129
01-01-15, 10:12 AM
yeah I was thinking hypoglycemia too, I have a couple of friends who are hypoglycemic and they start feeling really terrible when they haven't eaten every couple of hours too. The thirst could have to do with this? Not sure.

marielynne
01-01-15, 10:17 AM
how long has this been going on? i don't think hypoglycemia presents with increased thirst. i'm a nurse and not a doctor though. try to find an internist who specializes in endocrinology so you don't get a run around by primary care doctors.

HADDaball
01-01-15, 09:03 PM
Could be high blood sugar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia)

Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

Trev92
01-02-15, 01:04 AM
I would agree that it could be diabetes or perhaps just a period of hypoglycemia. Might need to do a fasting blood glucose....but honestly at your age, it seems....unlikely that you would spontaneously start showing symptoms NOW. But it could happen. Here's my primary theory:

You are thirsty but even after chugging water your body kicks in the hunger reflex. This MIGHT be because your body is still acidic after all that water due to a lack of sodium and potassium and other electrolytes. So it makes you hungry so you'll eat those minerals it needs to balance itself. Next time reach for a nice Propel (sugar free, loaded with vitamins and electrolytes) and see how you feel. I have a sneaking suspicion that after fifteen minutes the dry mouth and hunger will disappear. Just a guess.

BellaVita
01-02-15, 01:25 AM
hmmmmm, I'm of the school that says: Eat when hungry and drink when thirsty.

But, maybe you should see a doctor. Yet, I also am not a doctor fan so...:confused:

I'm not a doctor fan either after my recent bad experiences with them. :(

BellaVita
01-02-15, 01:28 AM
how long has this been going on? i don't think hypoglycemia presents with increased thirst. i'm a nurse and not a doctor though. try to find an internist who specializes in endocrinology so you don't get a run around by primary care doctors.

Hi, thanks for your responses.

This has been going on for a 2-3 years...I mean, as in these last 2-3 years is when it picked up more.

I am actually diagnosed with Crohn's disease and GERD, wondering if it might have to do with those.

Thanks for the tips.

If it matters, I am 21 years old and healthy weight and eat a vegan diet.

BellaVita
01-02-15, 01:34 AM
Could be high blood sugar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia)

Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

The last time they tried to prick my finger, the blood kept coming out watery so they couldn't test it. (Pricked it 8 times)

I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

Lizzie80
01-02-15, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the link, will check it out.

The last time they tried to prick my finger, the blood kept coming out watery so they couldn't test it. (Pricked it 8 times)

I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

Hey, Bells. You mentioned you eat vegan. Do you make sure to take in adequate amounts of protein and fat? I am hypoglycemic. Not super severe, but enough that I have to modify carbs and eat plenty of fat + protein to prevent nasty sugar peaks and valleys. I'm not anti-vegan, but I also have fibromyalgia (I.e., sensitive stomach can be the norm.

A year ago I cut out muffins, sweets, anything whole wheat, corn...heavy starches. Within a few days, ALL stomach issues went away. My energy skyrocketed. Anytime I cheat, bam! Pain, fatigue, hunger picks up, insatiable thirst. I'm not gluten-intolerant or anything, either. You're considerably younger than me, so you may feel less extreme issues. But blood sugar and digestive issues have interesting connections. I would experiment...add in more protein and healthy fat (a coconut oil supplement can help a lot), cut carbs, eat every 3-4 hours. I aim for 20-30 grams of protein at each meal, and work out 1 hour a day.

BellaVita
01-04-15, 11:01 PM
Thanks Lizzie! I do eat lots of beans and protein items...

Thanks so much for the helpful information, I shall take a closer look at my diet.

BellaVita
01-04-15, 11:01 PM
Guys, this is the story of my life right now...

http://i59.tinypic.com/bj71nq.jpg

Lizzie80
01-04-15, 11:47 PM
Thanks Lizzie! I do eat lots of beans and protein items...

Thanks so much for the helpful information, I shall take a closer look at my diet.

NP, Bells. Don't forget about quinoa- 8 grams of absorbable protein per serving, gluten-free, extremely flexible with lots of recipes out there on the Internet...it's an awesome food!

I exercise 5-6 days a week, and my body lets me know instantly if what I'm eating is healthy or not. Which I've come to see as a good thing! :) I'm a big believer in eating plenty of nuts and nut butter. The fat, protein, nutrients, and general feeling of satisfaction from eating something a little bit richer are all essential. Generally, if I do eat fruit (other than citrus, which I eat alone for Vitamin C to get into my system undeterred), I pair it with protein. It helps lessen the blood sugar spikes, and also gives the nutrients in the fruit or starch the essential fat and protein for absorption. Without fat or protein, the carbs don't have much ability to translate into "nutrition" in our bodies...in other words, we'll be hungry again in no time, as our body feels like it's gotten no nutrition in. (A favorite post-workout snack of mine: Brown rice cakes with peanut butter and a touch of honey or a few drops of maple syrup...Yum.) :D

If you don't already do so, drinking coconut or almond milk is also important. I'm not big on soy milk because a) I'm allergic! :D and b) it seriously messes with estrogen and other hormones in many people. It is not necessarily digestion-friendly, either.

I know it's a pain, but you might want to have Vitamin D levels checked, too. If you don't get much sun and don't supplement with extra D, a lack of drinking milk can make that deficiency probable. There's a general tendency to be low on D for people living in the northern hemisphere, an epidemic as I understand it, since sunscreen really came into vogue ca. 1980. (Yes, I'm old.) My levels were low when I got them tested. I upped the milk intake, took a Vitamin D supplement, and stopped being so afraid of the sun. (I'm über-pale, as in "I need the palest shade of foundation on God's green earth, and that might not be light enough for me" white. Vanity meant staying out of the sun, as I dislike getting wrinkled. Then I realized aging was inevitable anyway, and got over myself.) Vitamin D deficiency can up levels of fatigue, ennui, food cravings... Get some sun whenever you can, no sunscreen or face makeup on. 10-20 minutes is fine. I go for a quick walk sans makeup or sunscreen (scaring the neighbors no doubt, as I need to wear makeup like I need air to breathe), and call it a day on that. It works!

BellaVita
01-05-15, 12:39 AM
Yes I drink plenty of almond milk. It helps settle my stomach when my GERD is acting up.

I didn't know that about soy and hormone imbalances.

Yeah, when I lived in Missouri they wanted to check my Vitamin D and thyroid....never got the chance.

I don't get much sun where I am, cold and rainy all the time. It's a big difference for me because I used to live in Florida! :eek:

Hahaha I'm the same way, very white need the palest of concealer/powder.

I have a feeling my B12 is low, been experiencing fatigue and haven't had a shot in quite a while...last doctor denied me a shot even though my previous doc had been giving me shots for months. (And had them growing up given by my Mom who's a PA)

It sucks cuz I feel so much more awake and alert when my B12 is up.

And the reason I need shot form is because I don't absorb it through pills and such because my Crohn's of the ileum prevents that.

Pilgrim
01-05-15, 01:52 AM
Could it be the medication?

BellaVita
01-05-15, 02:16 AM

The only med I'm on currently is Trazodone, which I've been on for around 8 years no problems.

Lizzie80
01-06-15, 09:32 PM
Yes I drink plenty of almond milk. It helps settle my stomach when my GERD is acting up.

I didn't know that about soy and hormone imbalances.

Yeah, when I lived in Missouri they wanted to check my Vitamin D and thyroid....never got the chance.

I don't get much sun where I am, cold and rainy all the time. It's a big difference for me because I used to live in Florida! :eek:

Hahaha I'm the same way, very white need the palest of concealer/powder.

I have a feeling my B12 is low, been experiencing fatigue and haven't had a shot in quite a while...last doctor denied me a shot even though my previous doc had been giving me shots for months. (And had them growing up given by my Mom who's a PA)

It sucks cuz I feel so much more awake and alert when my B12 is up.

And the reason I need shot form is because I don't absorb it through pills and such because my Crohn's of the ileum prevents that.

Yes, soy can be a MAJOR source of problems. Particularly in women. Vegans and vegetarians tend to rely on it more, for obvious reasons. (I don't count the more traditional forms like tempeh in my rant, but you may still need to try eliminating all soy for a bit, see how you feel. Slowly add back in little by little allergen-causing foods, to try and see what may be causing you problems.) I don't want to make assumptions about your diet, and I have no idea what your heritage is. I know for myself, I totally lack the enzyme for processing soy, particularly if it has been made into one of those new funktified forms like soy protein isolate. I have no Asian heritage in my blood whatsoever, and my vague understanding is that plays a part. Similarly, many people of Asian descent lack the enzyme for processing lactose (or dairy, period). That is my very unscientific explanation.

Adrenal fatigue is something to look at. Soy plays a part in that for some people. http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/allergens-soy This little quiz might help you determine if adrenal fatigue is part of your battle. http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/take-the-adrenal-fatigue-quiz From experience, I highly suggest nipping issues like this in the bud while you're still young and feeling relatively energetic and healthy. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all. I've just been down the road of, "I eat healthy, I exercise, why do I still feel like crap?", seeing my health get derailed. Had I known these things at your age, I would have been better off, so I'm paying it forward, Bells. :)

Soy protein isolate is...crap. Just avoid it, if you don't already. Even if you have no allergy to soy. I got adult acne from eating a Luna bar every day, worse than when I was a teen. As soon as I stopped eating them, my skin went back to normal. (Sorry for anyone who likes this stuff, but...) http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/08/the-dirty-little-secret-hidden-in-much-of-your-health-food.aspx

I'm sorry you have Crohn's. I had so much stomach/intestinal pain at one time. There were two or three days a week for a few years on end there where I would just be doubled over in pain, wondering what I did to deserve it, praying for that to end! Miserable. I start every day with a protein shake, and that made a big difference. No f-ing muffins or anything. I loved them, but oy vey, they were NOT worth the pain or the calories. Sugar and me just don't mix, not the refined stuff anyway. I love it, but it does NOT love me. And protein...girlie, I don't know how you live without it! I love, love, love eggs, chicken, burgers, turkey, milk...but that's me. I'm German and Scots-Irish and could happily eat meat and poultry and dairy till the end of time, but throw soy or sugar at me and I'll wilt! My latest thing is sweet potatoes. Yum, yum, yum. I FINALLY got my mother out of her white potato affinity, and I'm so happy for it! Bells, get lots of sunshine, lots of exercise (weight-training is truly awesome for ADDers because of its effect on dopamine, but that's a whole other post!), lots of fruits and vegetables and quinoa! Take good care of yourself, girlie! :D I'm rooting for ya...Please let me know if there's ever anything I can do to help.

-Lizzie

Laserbeak
01-07-15, 03:34 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... but guess not here. For others, speedy drugs (Adderall, Ritalin) can make you thirsty, but they usually suppress your appetite.

Jenn1202
02-04-15, 02:28 AM
22 bottles of water a day?? I would get tested for diabetes insipidus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus) (water diabetes) and hyperthyroidism (http://www.patient.co.uk/health/hyperthyroidism-overactive-thyroid-leaflet) ASAP! Diabetes insipidus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus) is very different from type 1 and type 2. It has to do with the inability to retain fluids and it often makes people drink ridiculous amounts of fluids. It's possible that feel hungry and dizzy if you go a few hours without eating because you're washing out your electrolytes with all the fluids that you're drinking. Unfortunately many doctors have never heard about this condition, so if anyone ever tells you it's all in your head get a second and a third and a fourth opinion until you find the right doctor.

You may want to call ask a doctor as soon as possible how to safely drink the large amounts of fluids that your body requires, because it could be dangerous and possibly deadly if you don't do it right.

How long have you been having these symptoms? Are you on new meds? Medications can make you hungry. I feel like I'm starving all the time when I'm on Dexedrine or Adderall. You mentioned that you're not on stimulants, have you recently stopped taking stimulants? This can cause problems too, especially if you stopped cold turkey.

You mentioned that you have Crohn's, have you asked your GI about this?

Hyperman87
03-04-15, 06:10 PM
The only med I'm on currently is Trazodone, which I've been on for around 8 years no problems.

Trazodone is a tetracyclic antidepressant,right Bella? :) Are those similar to Tricyclic antidepressants?