View Full Version : Klonopin vs Ativan for Amphetamine related Anxiety.

Spektur
01-01-15, 09:33 AM
Ativan or Klonopin? Which is more effective when used with dexedrine and adderall? By effective I mean does not impair cognitive abilities or nullify the benefits of the amphetamines.

I'm curious as to what others opinions are because I've tried both and I'm on the fence, they each have their pros and cons. I need to make a decision on which in two weeks. Here are my opinions however I'd like to hear what others think about the two and if klonopin is worth sticking out.

I take them for whatever condition causes someone to be anxious all of the time, not sure if its General Anxiety, Social Anxiety, or Panic Attacks. Basically I'm anxious and angry all day, so I tend to keep to myself. Fortunately my line of work affords me minimal human contact, however I'm starting to annoy myself too, haha, hence the benzos.

Ativan -

I was taking ativan for a year while taking both dexedrine and adderall. The ativan was ok, it works great for panic attacks and general anger issues. However it doesn't last as long as I'd like so withdrawals would kick in daily. It seemed like a very effective temporary fix.

Also ativan did not mess with my dexedrine or adderall in terms of reducing their effectiveness. I could feel both the ativan and the amphetamines so that they worked in harmony, seemed like a win/win, no amphetamine side effects and no benzo stupor. Though like I stated, I would have to take the ativan periodically throughout the day or start to feel withdrawal symptoms.

In this scenario the amphetamines edged ativan in terms of what I could feel more. I was clear headed, energized, yet still calm and relaxed.Klonopin -

I just started taking Klonopin in the wafer form yesterday after I told my doc that I'd like to try Klonopin since it lasts longer. She warned me that it would make me tired and would probably negate the effects of my amphetamines. I was like whatever, I still want to try it.

Klonopin seems a lot stronger than Ativan, like it makes its presence known, so much so that my amphetamines seem useless. I love the fact that it lasts most of the day and I'm calm and relaxed. However it makes my dexedrine and adderall feel like sugar pills. Basically I get tired and quiet.

In this scenario Klonopin clearly dominated the amphetamines. I feel calm and relaxed all day, my mind is clear. However I find myself having to take more dexedrine or adderall to combat the general malaise that klonopin creates.

Conclusion

Could this simply be a dosage issue? I currently take 30mg of dexedrine extended, 20mg of adderall extended and 2mg of klonopin per day, the ativan was also at 2mg per day.

I doubt she'll up my amphetamine dosage because it took forever to get her to 50mg of mixed dexedrine and adderall. Do I try klonopin at lower doses or is this basically its nature? Like will klonopin always trump amphetamines in any scenario?

So is it simply too much klonopin, not enough ativan, or do I need to try something else. I heard xanax is a bigger pain than ativan in terms of how long it lasts, never tried valium.

I really wanted to like klonopin because I've heard such good things about it, however I don't like that it cancels out my amphetamines so much.

Ativan seems weak in comparison, like seriously weak, klonopin blows it out of the water for relaxation, however I still get all the benefits of my amphetamines with the occasional tension between doses.

P.S. Thanks for reading through, if you've made it this far you have truly conquered your ADD. I've segmented it for ease of readability and reduction of "wtf I'm not reading that.":D

Little Missy
01-01-15, 09:49 AM
It is a personal preference thing. I've tried them all and discarded most for various sorts of reasons.

Xanax and the short term it provides works best for me and it also seems to be a very good marriage with the Adderall I am taking.

I am relatively content.

marielynne
01-01-15, 10:11 AM
wow. I'm amazed that there are doctors out there prescribing both stimulants and benzos to the same patients. we don't do that in our clinic. and we don't prescribe xanax or any immediate release stimulants. our psychiatrist finds that there is a much higher risk of abuse in both of these scenarios. we have a very good reputation and our patients are overall doing very well. you may be counteracting your stimulant with the benzo. seems like with a long acting stimulant the effect is more smooth and there isn't the jitteriness or anxiety problems. good luck to you.

Spektur
01-01-15, 02:22 PM
wow. I'm amazed that there are doctors out there prescribing both stimulants and benzos to the same patients. we don't do that in our clinic. and we don't prescribe xanax or any immediate release stimulants. our psychiatrist finds that there is a much higher risk of abuse in both of these scenarios. we have a very good reputation and our patients are overall doing very well. you may be counteracting your stimulant with the benzo. seems like with a long acting stimulant the effect is more smooth and there isn't the jitteriness or anxiety problems. good luck to you.

It's a fairly common practice, they go hand in hand. Granted they don't hand them out like candy the first time they meet someone. Only thing that might shock me nowadays is if I waltzed into a doc's place and got painkillers on top of that mix. Otherwise, amphetamines and benzos are par for the course.

Besides, I find no pleasure in benzo or stimulant abuse, my brain's too much of an A-hole to let me enjoy myself, nothing really phases me anymore so I don't get addicted to things. Anyways, it took like a year of putting up with my doc's coddling before I got that mix, some get it quicker.

Laserbeak
01-03-15, 04:20 AM
I'll say what I always say to questions like this.... neither!

Use a long acting benzodiazepine such as Librium or Valium. They are more effective for long term use as well as being less addictive.

Spektur
01-03-15, 10:44 AM
I'll say what I always say to questions like this.... neither!

Use a long acting benzodiazepine such as Librium or Valium. They are more effective for long term use as well as being less addictive.

Ok, I'll talk to my doc about those. So far klonopin has clearly overpowered my dexedrine and adderall, practically rendering them useless. It feels too relaxing and not in a pleasant way. Also they're not the greatest for panic attacks or hulk smash type rages. They take too long to work and then when they do I can barely stay awake.

Yet I'm still not convinced that ativan is the best fit either, so I'll ask about Librium and Valium. I already know Xanax won't be up for discussion based on my doc's disposition.

Spektur
01-07-15, 05:04 PM
Ok so now that I've grown more accustomed to the klonopin I'm noticing new side effects. It no longer knocks me out but rather it's causing me to have insomnia. Which is pretty confusing considering the nature of a benzo. There's been numerous occasions this past week where if I have to be up at 5:30 and still can't feel asleep by 2, I just say screw it and don't sleep.

Needless to say a couple of all nighters per week puts you into a dream state of mind. I'm not sleepy, yet I'm not fully present. I never had this problem with ativan, however I now see that ativan was way weaker and prone to lapses in coverage where I'd be generally anxious.

I hope there's something inbetween the two that won't mess with my amphetamines. Hopefully Librium or Valium fits that description because I'm not touching ssri's or snri's, or whatever else newly created sideffect fest they keep trying to peddle simply because they're supposedly not addictive.

Karamo
03-12-15, 03:31 PM
It is a personal preference thing. I've tried them all and discarded most for various sorts of reasons.

Xanax and the short term it provides works best for me and it also seems to be a very good marriage with the Adderall I am taking.

I am relatively content.

Woah! This is scary though. Alprazolam is one of the most addictive bensodiazepines out there and DEFINITELY not something for the long term.

My friend got withdrawal symptoms from Xanax after having taken 0,5mg a day for two months to combat the anxiety at night caused by dexedrine wearing off. He would get minor motor deficits (very minor, but still noticable when he'd play the guitar et cetera), increased anxiety and malaise.

The thing with Xanax is that it works wonders on the anxiety and unease in the short-term but eventually starts to CAUSE these symptoms when it wears off as a person gets addicted (it eventually happens to everyone, even on a low dose). This usually means that the dose is increased to 1mg, then 1mg two times a day et cetera. Eventually you will get to a high enough dose that your cognitiion starts to get affected in a way that's very noticable for people around you (while you will feel "normal"). It can be everything from a very short latency when searching for words to pronounced aphasia and loss of vocabulary.

My mother is prescribed 2mg Xanax, three times a day and she's a vegetable now compared to how she was when she was only on 5mg Oxazepam (Oxascand, Sobril etc) a day. But she doesn't notice this herself - she says she is "more smarter than ever". It's very sad.

Xanax is EXTREMELY effective short-term and that's how it should be used, but maybe that's what you meant? :3

sarahsweets
03-13-15, 04:43 AM
Karamo I agree with you for the most part. I stopped taking xanax awhile ago because of the jump in dose that I seemed to require, and because I was starting to feel way too good taking it. My addictive personality was walking the tight rope with that drug and I am just not cut out for taking something like that responsibly. Thats just me though, and not necessarily the Op of course/

Maurice
03-13-15, 11:10 AM
Ativan or Klonopin? Which is more effective when used with dexedrine and adderall? By effective I mean does not impair cognitive abilities or nullify the benefits of the amphetamines.

I'm curious as to what others opinions are because I've tried both and I'm on the fence, they each have their pros and cons. I need to make a decision on which in two weeks. Here are my opinions however I'd like to hear what others think about the two and if klonopin is worth sticking out.

I take them for whatever condition causes someone to be anxious all of the time, not sure if its General Anxiety, Social Anxiety, or Panic Attacks. Basically I'm anxious and angry all day, so I tend to keep to myself. Fortunately my line of work affords me minimal human contact, however I'm starting to annoy myself too, haha, hence the benzos.

Ativan -

I was taking ativan for a year while taking both dexedrine and adderall. The ativan was ok, it works great for panic attacks and general anger issues. However it doesn't last as long as I'd like so withdrawals would kick in daily. It seemed like a very effective temporary fix.

Also ativan did not mess with my dexedrine or adderall in terms of reducing their effectiveness. I could feel both the ativan and the amphetamines so that they worked in harmony, seemed like a win/win, no amphetamine side effects and no benzo stupor. Though like I stated, I would have to take the ativan periodically throughout the day or start to feel withdrawal symptoms.

In this scenario the amphetamines edged ativan in terms of what I could feel more. I was clear headed, energized, yet still calm and relaxed.Klonopin -

I just started taking Klonopin in the wafer form yesterday after I told my doc that I'd like to try Klonopin since it lasts longer. She warned me that it would make me tired and would probably negate the effects of my amphetamines. I was like whatever, I still want to try it.

Klonopin seems a lot stronger than Ativan, like it makes its presence known, so much so that my amphetamines seem useless. I love the fact that it lasts most of the day and I'm calm and relaxed. However it makes my dexedrine and adderall feel like sugar pills. Basically I get tired and quiet.

In this scenario Klonopin clearly dominated the amphetamines. I feel calm and relaxed all day, my mind is clear. However I find myself having to take more dexedrine or adderall to combat the general malaise that klonopin creates.

Conclusion

Could this simply be a dosage issue? I currently take 30mg of dexedrine extended, 20mg of adderall extended and 2mg of klonopin per day, the ativan was also at 2mg per day.

I doubt she'll up my amphetamine dosage because it took forever to get her to 50mg of mixed dexedrine and adderall. Do I try klonopin at lower doses or is this basically its nature? Like will klonopin always trump amphetamines in any scenario?

So is it simply too much klonopin, not enough ativan, or do I need to try something else. I heard xanax is a bigger pain than ativan in terms of how long it lasts, never tried valium.

I really wanted to like klonopin because I've heard such good things about it, however I don't like that it cancels out my amphetamines so much.

Ativan seems weak in comparison, like seriously weak, klonopin blows it out of the water for relaxation, however I still get all the benefits of my amphetamines with the occasional tension between doses.

P.S. Thanks for reading through, if you've made it this far you have truly conquered your ADD. I've segmented it for ease of readability and reduction of "wtf I'm not reading that.":D

Never cared for Klonopin myself. The withdrawals from Xanax is many many days of zero sleep.

I use Valium 5mg. Sometimes one during the day. And definitely two at bedtime. Of course unless you titrate off Valium, you'll be sleepless for days on end.

Best of luck to you!

GCTB74
03-16-15, 07:03 AM
Klonopin lasts all of/most of the day for you? And others? Is it supposed to?? I just started on it (And just wrote a HUGE rant about my experience!) and it DEFINITELY does not last all day...or half a day...or even a few hours! The 2 times it worked it lasted an hour or MAYBE 2? Now it doesn't work at all and I take 3 pills at once (a Milligram and a half)

Is it supposed to work all day??? I wish! If I keep taking it will the tiredness subside? Will it last longer IF I even feel the effect at all.

Killface1981
05-02-15, 10:40 PM
Valium still has a stigma from the 80's and Bret Easton Ellis novels or something. The longest acting benzo they give for ADHD is usually Klonopin until you say you don't like it. And they try Ativan or maybe Xanax(extended release.)

I currently get Ativan with Dexedrine and Wellbutrin. I wish I hadn't complained about Klonopin though I think it's worse for you in the long run. Valium would be awesome.

sarahsweets
05-03-15, 07:35 AM
Let me just say, that as I said previously, I am not cut out for benzos for a variety of reasons. Just because your practice doesnt prescribe both, doesnt mean that its the best way to manage patients. ADHD often comes with conmorbidities like GAD, SAD or other anxiety issues and some people need real help to function. And yes, there are risks to taking IR meds like adderall anbd xanax but the risks are exactly the same with ER meds like adderall xr and Klonopin. The longer acting part does mean SH*T if you have your heart set on abusing them. And people can be counteracting their meds one way or another if the balance isnt there but that doesnt mean it has to do with immediate release medication. All controlled substances should be managed closely but not with the assumption that humans are by nature meant to abuse them.

omygaudio
05-03-15, 08:05 PM
Its tricky to find a right benzo and right dose of a benzo for the purpose of ameliorating anxiety caused by stimulants. Like you mentioned some dull out the stimulant's effectiveness and some don't last as long as needed. And its even trickier because you can develop a tolerance to benzos much faster than stimulants. It becomes potentially dangerous when you are experimenting with titrating a benzo on top of a stimulant. The GABA receptors are regulated very aggressively because they are paramount to modulating PNS/CNS potentials/polarization.

Even if your stimulant is very specific in blocking dopamine reuptake or releasing dopamine, increasing dopamine means increasing norepinephrine/epinephrine because they are metabolites of dopamine.

Benzos effectively supercharge your GABAA receptor, causing rapid signaling of Cl ion, and reverses membrane potential as well as preventing new action potentials from firing. This has an immediate sedative/anxiolytic effect but it also prevents your dopamine from working properly.

Have you tried an α2A agonist like Guanfacine/Clonidine? These are also frequently prescribed with stimulants to counter side effects as well as having therapeutic qualities for ADHD (less pronounced for some).

Most of the α2A receptors in the PNS are pre-synaptic (autoreceptors) so they actually work against norepinephrine/epinephrine. It is for this reason that α2A agonists are sympatholytic and anxiolytic (which in your case is highly desired). Whereas most α2A receptors in the CNS are post-synaptic receptors which increase norepinephrine in the brain (which is the basis for α2A agonists mechanism of action for ADHD).

MrPwrplnt
05-21-15, 12:48 PM
I find that Ativan works great for mild ticks I had before taking any type of Amp for ADHD. It also seems to be very fast acting with in 10-15 mins my ticks subside and so does anxiety. I took Klonopin for 1o years along with 80mg x2 of Methadone and it also worked fine. It's a toss up for I like them both and can't stand Xanax because of its awful withdrawal's. My old Doc. took me off Klon. cold turkey one fine day and I thought I would die. However I didn't no withdrawal's whatsoever!! I haven't tried any other benzo's on Amps besides Ativan 2mg x day. I'm currently taking Adderal 20mgx2 and Dextrostat 10mgx2. Seems to be working ok but not exactly like i'd hoped.

mindfulness
07-28-17, 02:30 PM
Hi, I think a lower dose of Klonopin would be more effective than the dosage you might have previously been on. For example, .5mg is tried and true, however, even half of that, 0.25mg works wonders. Too much of a good thing can dampen the effects of amphetamines.