View Full Version : I've got to quit drinking.

mrzyphl
01-01-15, 12:24 PM
I've been a consistent binge drinker all my life. I'd have up to 5 drinks in the space of 2 hours (mostly wine) and up to 9 in an evening.
For the past 10 years I've been drinking almost everyday. I think my record is almost 20 days straight drinking and 5 days not drinking.
Mostly I take one day off a week and just drink leftovers another night (1 or 2 glasses).

I always thought being an alcoholic meant having no control over how much you drink. Because I always reached a point where I just
didn't want anymore I didn't think it was true for me. Then I thought why don't I stop at one drink instead of 3 or 6?
So yeah, I've got a problem. I've resolved to change my behavior numerous times but my ADD brain keeps telling me there
is some magical point in the future where I don't drink anymore. This has got to stop NOW!

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to give advice and share your own experience.

Abi
01-01-15, 01:30 PM
Sometimes you need to reach rock bottom. I drank like 6 cocktails with multiple mixed spirits a bunch of beers, smoked indoor and popped benzos and opioid. I got so sick I thought I was going to die.

I've been sober two weeks now.

Wowwowwow
01-01-15, 01:57 PM
Sometimes you need to reach rock bottom. I drank like 6 cocktails with multiple mixed spirits a bunch of beers, smoked indoor and popped benzos and opioid. I got so sick I thought I was going to die.

Took me telling a cop I was going to **** him up bad ! That does not work threatening cops! Got me of the mesclin! Which made the world a really safer place! Thank god for temper! :yes:

mrzyphl
01-01-15, 02:20 PM

Good for you Abi, two weeks is a good start! I read your thread just before posting this one. I was wondering how you were doing.

I don't think I've got a rock bottom. Just a long slow march to the grave unless I wake up. The only way my drinking has physically
affected me is being overweight. I've never had a hangover or even heartburn. The only thing is on the nights I don't drink I have a very restful sleep.

Wowwowwow- Wow, sounds like that cop saved you from yourself. I hope you thanked him. :)

tomsawyr
01-01-15, 02:53 PM
You don't have to hit rock bottom. You have to be sick and tired of your habit. Ironically, meth got me off booze. I'm not recommending that. I eventually got off the pipe. What happened, though, was I fell in love with another kind of high. Today I like to feel on top of things.
You can quit. The cheapest route is going to AA. Just don't get stuck there. Those people are toxic. You learn things in AA that cause you to relapse, in my opinion. The best part of AA or NA is sitting in a circle listening to people's victories and failures. It changes you. Don't buy the line that you are "always an addict." That you should never drink again is not the same thing as always being an addict. Thinking of yourself as an alcoholic is important at first, because you are *moving away* from alcohol. But after a few months or a year, you should be *moving towards* something. Alcohol is in the past, and so should be AA. Thinking of yourself as having a permanent disease is just to call yourself defective, and reminding yourself or your wasted life every day just depresses you. Depressed people who think of themselves as defective are more likely to use. You shouldn't have to think "I was so bad, but now I'm sober and grateful." You are just grateful for no reason whatsoever.
But I'm rambling. Quit drinking. You can do it.

dvdnvwls
01-01-15, 04:05 PM
I think it must be very common for people who have successfully quit drinking to make up good reasons after the fact, or to latch onto good reasons (again after the fact) that they've heard from others, for why they've succeeded. There aren't many other ways I can think of to explain the existence of all those different philosophies and methods.

I don't think focusing on hows and whys and having a method is necessarily productive, though I'm sure it can be for some. I think the true reason that a lot of people successfully quit drinking might just be "I really felt like I needed to quit, so I quit". Some who succeeded might think that wouldn't sound very convincing in a discussion, so they might feel pressured to come up with a more interesting-sounding explanation.

Skyf@ll
01-02-15, 07:02 PM
The reason alcohol is so hard to give up for some of us because it is every much of stimulant as it a depressant.

Take away all the bad stuff and we've got a cure for ADHD.

dvdnvwls
01-02-15, 07:36 PM
The reason alcohol is so hard to give up for some of us because it is every much of stimulant as it a depressant.

Take away all the bad stuff and we've got a cure for ADHD.

I disagree with this idea in every way. Alcohol does sort of feel stimulating in some sense, because it takes away some of your inhibition - but that isn't a real stimulation, and it doesn't make nearly enough difference to call it even a partial "cure" for ADHD.

Skyf@ll
01-02-15, 08:08 PM
I disagree with this idea in every way. Alcohol does sort of feel stimulating in some sense, because it takes away some of your inhibition - but that isn't a real stimulation, and it doesn't make nearly enough difference to call it even a partial "cure" for ADHD.

Is that right? well why do people drink alcohol in the first place? Is it just for the hell of it?

Alcohol is a "stimulant" and also a way of self medicating whether you like it or not, look it up if you don't believe me.

I think your maybe missing the point. I said if you take away all the negatives you have a good positive.

dvdnvwls
01-02-15, 08:14 PM
Is that right? well why do people drink alcohol in the first place? Is it just for the hell of it?

Alcohol is a "stimulant" and also a way of self medicating whether you like it or not, look it up if you don't believe me.

I think your maybe missing the point. I said if you take away all the negatives you have a good positive.

I agree that if you could magically take away all the negatives of alcohol (which obviously you can't) then you'd be left with a positive. That's obvious such that it hardly needed stating. I disagree with your idea that the positive you'd be left with would come anywhere even slightly close to a cure for ADHD.

Skyf@ll
01-02-15, 08:34 PM
I agree that if you could magically take away all the negatives of alcohol (which obviously you can't) then you'd be left with a positive. That's obvious such that it hardly needed stating. I disagree with your idea that the positive you'd be left with would come anywhere even slightly close to a cure for ADHD.

I'm not talking about black magic here. All I was saying that wouldn't it be great if you got all the positives and none of the negatives from drinking alcohol?

People drink because its a self-medicating way of relief and feels like a "temporary" cure.

But yes to be classed as cure you wouldn't need to continue to do it.

I'm merely talking about a theory.

I'm not a doctor presenting a possible cure. I'm only saying if only....

It was a bold statement and never knew it would be taken so serious. If you want to be serious yes there is no "cure" just like there is no cure from cancer and there never will be.

dvdnvwls
01-02-15, 08:56 PM
I'm not talking about black magic here. All I was saying that wouldn't it be great if you got all the positives and none of the negatives from drinking alcohol?

People drink because its a self-medicating way of relief and feels like a "temporary" cure.

But yes to be classed as cure you wouldn't need to continue to do it.

I'm merely talking about a theory.

I'm not a doctor presenting a possible cure. I'm only saying if only....

It was a bold statement and never knew it would be taken so serious. If you want to be serious yes there is no "cure" just like there is no cure from cancer and there never will be.

I mean what I said in a stronger way than you took it. I'm saying... IF all the disadvantages of alcohol could be magically removed (which they can't), and IF I then drank a lot of alcohol every day, my ADHD would hardly be better at all.

Skyf@ll
01-02-15, 09:03 PM
I mean what I said in a stronger way than you took it. I'm saying... IF all the disadvantages of alcohol could be magically removed (which they can't), and IF I then drank a lot of alcohol every day, my ADHD would hardly be better at all.

Each to there own. For me personally it makes me feel more ambitious and positive and happier and more relaxed. But yeah some people just get aggressive and want to fight everyone. I'm not talking about you personally.

Aggressive without a drink, but never with.

Laserbeak
01-03-15, 05:05 AM
I drink way too much too, but I'm a bit different in that I pretty much sip it slowly all day long, not binge.

I don't get "drunk" even though I'm on multiple psychoactive drugs including narcotics and benzodiazepines. I have not "blacked out" in years, except once when I got a new prescription from a doctor that was just Rx not a controlled substance, but did have mental effects. I haven't taken any more of them obviously.

I have come up with high liver enzyme blood tests, but the doctor doesn't think it's high enough to indicate my liver is dying. Although of course, as a good doctor, he tells me to cut down on drink.

So that's my story, hopefully it is helpful in some way.

dvdnvwls
01-03-15, 06:19 AM
Each to there own. For me personally it makes me feel more ambitious and positive and happier and more relaxed. But yeah some people just get aggressive and want to fight everyone. I'm not talking about you personally.

Aggressive without a drink, but never with.

ADHD is far more than that, and more complex. If you feel more ambitious and positive, that's nice - but your ADHD is far from solved, even momentarily.

Skyf@ll
01-03-15, 06:56 AM
Temporarly, not a cure, problems not solved, think positive, in theory #chalkandcheese

:)

sarahsweets
01-03-15, 08:28 AM
I have been sober for 2 years and yes I did it with AA. When you go to as you don't have to buy into everything you just show up and take what works for you. It worked for new, in fact it saved my liver and my life.

mrzyphl
01-03-15, 02:25 PM
I don't believe ADHD played any role in my drinking. I didn't really like alcohol until I was 25 or so.
I went on a bit of a binge when I was 27. When I moved in with my girlfriend at 28 I only got drunk once in 3 years.
The next 10 years I only drank 2 or 3 times a year. These past 10 years I've become more and more frustrated with my social life.
I just began to stay at home more and drink quite content in my own company. I don't think that not drinking will make my life any different, just a bit healthier.

dvdnvwls
01-03-15, 03:37 PM
Temporarly, not a cure, problems not solved, think positive, in theory #chalkandcheese

:)

Look... at first you said that if we could take away the bad stuff about alcohol then it would be a cure for ADHD. Now you're saying it's not a cure and the problems are not solved - but to think positive anyway. That seems to be the best recommendation that alcohol's proponents seem to be able to make, when pressed for details. Well, in that case it's just as easy (and less expensive) to buy a crappy self-help book and skip the drinking. :)

HADDaball
01-04-15, 12:02 AM
There is no magical time.

All the best with it.

sarahsweets
01-04-15, 08:35 AM
I just reread my post and once again I didn't preview it and had words replaced so I sounded like a moron. What I meant to say is you don't have to believe everything you hear in AA. Some people just show up and it helps. I put alot of work into my program and it's really paid off.

mrzyphl
01-04-15, 11:23 AM
I just reread my post and once again I didn't preview it and had words replaced so I sounded like a moron. What I meant to say is you don't have to believe everything you hear in AA. Some people just show up and it helps. I put alot of work into my program and it's really paid off.

Your post made sense to me. My Vow is not to have another drink until I lose 20 pounds then I won't have another until I lose 20 more.
I'm 80 pounds from my ideal weight. I think I should lose 3-5lbs a month just by not drinking.
If I find myself falling back into my old patterns I won't have any option but to seek help in AA.

I'm off to a good start. I had a half glass of wine with dinner Friday and Saturday night and I've got a half glass left for tonight.
After that the only thing going in my wine glass is ice water.

HADDaball
01-05-15, 04:34 PM
My Vow is not to have another drink until I lose 20 pounds then I won't have another until I lose 20 more.

I'm off to a good start. I had a half glass of wine with dinner Friday and Saturday night and I've got a half glass left for tonight.

???

Forgive me for saying this, but it looks like your intentions and actions are out of allignment.

Are you aware of this?

mrzyphl
01-11-15, 06:12 PM
???

Forgive me for saying this, but it looks like your intentions and actions are out of allignment.

Are you aware of this?

Yeah, that didn't make sense did it. I've got a weird way to rationalize things. I had a third of a bottle left on Friday
and didn't want to throw it out or swig it down all at once. I thought it would be nice to have a small glass with dinner.

Anyway, I lasted 4 days and bought a bottle Friday night. Weekends are hard. Now I'm stopping all over again.

Twiggy
01-11-15, 07:56 PM
I have quit drinking alcohol a month ago.

How: I just stopped one day and never had a drink ever since.

It really isn't hard to quit if you truly want to quit.

I do have plenty of alcohol in the fridge, but it's only for friends. Not for me.

soonyx
01-13-15, 09:40 PM
I've been a consistent binge drinker all my life. I'd have up to 5 drinks in the space of 2 hours (mostly wine) and up to 9 in an evening.
For the past 10 years I've been drinking almost everyday. I think my record is almost 20 days straight drinking and 5 days not drinking.
Mostly I take one day off a week and just drink leftovers another night (1 or 2 glasses).

I always thought being an alcoholic meant having no control over how much you drink. Because I always reached a point where I just
didn't want anymore I didn't think it was true for me. Then I thought why don't I stop at one drink instead of 3 or 6?
So yeah, I've got a problem. I've resolved to change my behavior numerous times but my ADD brain keeps telling me there
is some magical point in the future where I don't drink anymore. This has got to stop NOW!

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to give advice and share your own experience.

Did the excess drinking ever get you in trouble with friends, family or work?

TheRealMonty
01-16-15, 05:28 AM
Admitting your problem is step one to quitting alcohol. It's not too late for you to get back on your life. Think how your life can be amazing without alcohol. You are not the only person who have face this problem, they also survive and surpass it. If others can do, you can do it too especially when there is AA and other programs centers (http://addictiontreatmentcare.com/) who are dedicated to give you comfort, support and treatment. I wish you luck! You definitely can do this.