View Full Version : Anyone here who takes precurors? tyrosine, phenylalanine etc

noradd
01-01-15, 09:41 PM
I have a book about adhd from Charles Parker. He talks a lot about taking amino acids which are precursors to neurotransmitters. Unfortunately he does not say which ones he means and he also doesn't talk about safety. For example tryptophan must not be taken when you're on a serotonergic antidepressant! This means trypto is already out of the game if you take antidepressants. The other 2 precurors I know are tyrosine and phenylalanine. But I don't know if taking them is safe and allowed when you're on stimulants. I mean if you serotonin syndrome from mixing tryptophan + ssri then what if you get dopamine syndrome from mixing other precursors with stimulants?

Corina86
01-02-15, 06:38 PM
There is no dopamine syndrome- you might feel high, psychotic or manic if your dopamine is too high (this is what happens when people take too much stimulants). It all depends on what dose you're taking. If you want to give it a try, start with a small dose and see how you feel.

noradd
01-06-15, 04:34 PM
So this means unlike serotonin you can't die from having too much dopamine?

But then what about malignant neuroleptic syndrome? This also has something to do with dopamine.

Corina86
01-07-15, 01:23 PM
I didn't say that you can't die from having too much dopamine. I suppose too much of anything can kill you. But, assuming you slowly and gradually increase the dosage of whatever medication you're on, rather than overdose on it from the first trial, you'll probably have other symptoms that will indicate that your dopamine levels are too high: feeling high, manic, psychotic, panicked, shaky etc. If you reach this point, it means you're taking too much stimulant (or whatever it is you're taking). My point that any medication should be increased very gradually and you always check for possible interactions between medications (same with supplements).

If you feel your dose of stimulant isn't helping you enough, I guess you can try a small dose of tyrosine. If you're already on a high dose of stimulants, it might be risk. I took tyrosine without stimulants and it did absolutely nothing.

Jongeman
01-15-15, 04:21 PM
Supplements I'd consider (which I use (irreguraly) for my ADD-inattentive are (after a lot of trial and error and expert medical advice) (BTW currently started Dexamfetamine so now only taking the fish oil, want to check the meds. effects):

L-Tyrosine (stimulates dopamine)
Mucuna Pruriens (stimulates dopamine)
Adaptonyl (haven't tried this one, but my medical professional adviced this combined with the Mucuna Pruriens works best)
Ashwagandha for energy
Gaba for calming
Theanine for calming
Fish oil omega 3 (with EPA:DHA ratio of at least 2:1, EPA should be highest) 1000mg 2x day
Vitamin B supplement

And check your vitamine D. It's hard to get it from supplements, they are not really effective. So the only alternative is being outside more, and search on google which foods contain vit. D.

I only take the Fish oil every day. The others when I feel like it, and only one at a time. So I don't take these all the time and mixed.

There's my share, hope it helps ^_^

I'd advice you to simply experiment with it. And only if your on stim. meds for at least 6 weeks. After that your system is accustomed to the meds and you can properly test the added value of supplements.

And indeed, look out if you're taking SSRI's. It seems you cannot combine these with a lot of things. But I don't take them so I don't know a lot about it.

Cheers.