View Full Version : Tenex issues... ugh someone please help

NJBmom4290
01-04-15, 02:29 AM
We started DS on 1 mg Tenex (Guanfacine) about 3 weeks ago after an official DX of ADHD and numerous discussions with his PreK teacher. We began on .5 mg for the first week with no serious side effects. Bumping up to 1 mg made him sleep all day and incredibly whiny/irritable. We started giving .5mg AM/.5mg PM. He is fantastic during the day and stays awake but is beginning to exibit extreme anxiety at night ie. screaming, calling for us, fear of monsters, ants about every 10 minutes. I've moved a lamp near his bed for a nightlight, but unless he is in our bed or i'm in his, he wakes up at night terrified. :( He has done this for about 4/5 days now. Should this effect taper off? I'll be asking the Dr. as well. If it didn't keep him awake and scared at night I'd have no complaints....It's always something....:(
P.S. I tried giving him Melatonin like we did before the tenex. He fell asleep at 9:20 woke up at 10:30 and 12:00 so far. :( He's also sweating more at night

zette93
01-04-15, 03:25 AM
When my DS was in Intuniv, the adjustment period whenever we changed the dose was 3 days. I certainly wouldn't find night terrors and ants acceptable. I hope it goes away very soon, otherwise I would recommend looking into other meds.

sarahsweets
01-04-15, 08:18 AM
Is there a particular reason you haven't tried stimulants?

ccom5100
01-04-15, 12:40 PM
I think one of the side effects for guanfacine is nightmares. If it doesn't subside, talk with your doctor about maybe trying something else. My grandson takes tenex and in the beginning, he had vivid dreams, but it subsided after his system got used to the med.

NJBmom4290
01-04-15, 08:48 PM
Thank you guys
@sarahsweets - We wanted to try non-stimulants first because of his age (4). I started adderall xr myself during childhood, but I was 6/7. His case just doesn't warrant stimulants as a first choice- he's mostly extremely impulsive. We may end up trying them.

MrsMoMo
01-12-15, 11:32 AM
When my son was diagnosed at 5, our primary concern was with his impulsiveness. He wasn't all that hyperactive but tended more to act impulsively and be inattentive. He started on 5mg Adderall at 5 yrs old and it was great, made a huge impact on his impulsiveness and inattentiveness. He was never all that hyper to begin with but the low dose didn't affect his energy levels.