View Full Version : Asking psychiatrist for more adderall (increased duration)

b01r0x
01-04-15, 09:52 PM
Hello. Just to provide a little background, I'm a 21 year old college student who was prescribed Adderall XR three months ago to help with focus issues stemming from anxiety/depression and possible ADHD. I started at 10mg, but my psychiatrist increased the dosage after I told him that the original dosage wasn't doing much. 20mg worked great. I explained this to my psych, and he felt that the symptoms and improvement I described indicate a concurrent diagnosis of ADHD.

Adderall XR lasts me around 6 hours before there's a noticeable decrease in focus and motivation. The problem with this duration is that I'm usually in class and doing work for a total of 10 hours/day.

Most recently, my doctor accidentally prescribed me 30 tablets of 20mg IR instead of 30 20mg XR. This hasn't been a problem over winter break, but I noticed these last me around 4 hours.

I'm wondering what a typical regimen of Adderall is for someone who suffers from ADHD. The medication has been really helpful for my energy and focus despite daily usage for a few months, so I don't feel bad asking for something that will be effective. However, it would be useful to know what's normal so I can get a better idea of what I should ask for. I was thinking of possibly asking for 30 of XR and 30 of IR so it lasts me the whole day. Is this unreasonable? What's usual...or better, what did you start at and find helpful?

Thanks guys!

sarahsweets
01-05-15, 05:17 AM
I take 20mg of xr 3 times a day.

Sickle
01-05-15, 04:10 PM
I take 30 mg of the IR 3 times a day..

Content ID
01-05-15, 05:21 PM
Your doctor should allow this since he's a psychiatrist and they're authorized to write for prescriptions in this manner.

Just make sure if you have health insurance that they will cover this quantity/amount call and see if you need a pre-authorization. It will save you lots of frustration.