View Full Version : Should I take Wellbutrin? Help me decide.

lacaminante
01-08-15, 02:38 AM
Hi all-

Unsurprisingly, I am super indecisive. I can't for the life of me decide wether or not to take the Wellbutrin prescription I just got from my doctor. I'll give you some info and maybe you can help :)

I am a 28 year old female grad student. I have adhd and have been on adderall for a long time. I take 10 mg IR 3x a day. I have also had depression on and off for my whole life. Both conditions run strongly in my family. When I was a kid I was on antidepressants (don't remember exactly what, but not Wellbutrin) and I hated them. However, my depression has gotten worse lately and I am looking for some way to change my unhappy and untenable situation. I went to my lovely and wonderful psych today and she recommended that I try wellbutrin. She said there aren't many side effects and I could keep taking the adderall at first but may be able to cut that out if the Wellbutrin really helps. I left feeling pretty hopeful.

Then I decided to do some research :o I've now gotten myself scared about possible side effects and possible withdrawal symptoms if/when I want to stop taking the meds. I've tried to get off adderall a couple of times but the lethargy has been too much and I havent stuck with it. My concentration is terrible even with the adderall. I'm not getting things in on time at school and I'm having a hard time even just going through the basic steps of life, so I really need a solution.

I am also planning on starting Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) soon, which I hope will help me get out of this rut. (If I can get my act together to make the appt and call insurance- ugh).

Any words of advice? Do you think its worth trying it, or should I just try the CBT first?
:thankyou:

anonymouslyadd
01-08-15, 08:29 AM
Wellbutrin has been a wonderful thing for me.

michaelaisabell
01-08-15, 10:06 AM
I also scared myself out of taking my WB.
My doc told me it will help "boost" my adderall because it works on dopamine and will help both my depression and adhd.
So I left with my script but when I searched for drug interactions it holds increase seizure risks with two of my meds :/ so of course I freaked myself out and now I'm scared to even try it.
Also doesn't help that my sister had crappy results on it. She said it made her just want to sit around and watch tv all day.

Let me know if you decide to try it and let me know how it works for you please :)
I will do the same ;)

add_me
01-08-15, 11:27 AM
Hi all-

Unsurprisingly, I am super indecisive. I can't for the life of me decide wether or not to take the Wellbutrin prescription I just got from my doctor. I'll give you some info and maybe you can help :)

I am a 28 year old female grad student. I have adhd and have been on adderall for a long time. I take 10 mg IR 3x a day. I have also had depression on and off for my whole life. Both conditions run strongly in my family. When I was a kid I was on antidepressants (don't remember exactly what, but not Wellbutrin) and I hated them. However, my depression has gotten worse lately and I am looking for some way to change my unhappy and untenable situation. I went to my lovely and wonderful psych today and she recommended that I try wellbutrin. She said there aren't many side effects and I could keep taking the adderall at first but may be able to cut that out if the Wellbutrin really helps. I left feeling pretty hopeful.

Then I decided to do some research :o I've now gotten myself scared about possible side effects and possible withdrawal symptoms if/when I want to stop taking the meds. I've tried to get off adderall a couple of times but the lethargy has been too much and I havent stuck with it. My concentration is terrible even with the adderall. I'm not getting things in on time at school and I'm having a hard time even just going through the basic steps of life, so I really need a solution.

I am also planning on starting Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) soon, which I hope will help me get out of this rut. (If I can get my act together to make the appt and call insurance- ugh).

Any words of advice? Do you think its worth trying it, or should I just try the CBT first?
:thankyou:

Of all the anti-depression meds, Wellbutrin actually makes me feel good. I don't get the nasty side effects like I did from other ADs. I take Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, and have no complaints. Yes Wellbutrin is worth a try.

lacaminante
01-14-15, 10:18 AM
As an update- I've been on Wellbutrin for a week with no terrible side effects. I have continued taking Adderrall so far. I did get some headaches the first 2 days I took it but nothing too bad. My doctor said it could take up to 3 weeks until I would feel the full positive effects, so I'm holding off judgment until then.