View Full Version : Intuniv & night waking!

Champsmom
01-08-15, 05:26 PM
My 9-year-old son (ADHD - Hyperactive/Impulsive) started Intinuv 3 weeks ago. For the past 2 weeks he has been on 2mg at night (around 7:30pm). While his ADHD symptoms have drastically improved, his sleep has become a terrible problem. He consistently wakes up 2-3 times per night, often for an hour or more at a time. I have read that this "middle insomnia" can be an issue in rare cases.

I just don't know what to do. Do I try giving it to him in the a.m., knowing he'll probably be exhausted all day at school? Do we try another med with it? He tried Focalin XR initially for about a month. He was extremely emotional, weepy and irritable, so we took him off.

Any advice?

zette93
01-08-15, 09:22 PM
DS always took Intuniv in the morning, as I figured he needed impulse control more during the day. Sleepiness wasn't an issue after the first 3 days. Worth a try...

ccom5100
01-08-15, 10:56 PM
I would try it in the morning. It's already been in his system for 3 weeks, so it shouldn't make him sleepy. Try the switch on the weekend, just to be sure.

Laserbeak
01-09-15, 02:04 AM
Yes, try administering in the morning instead, if it continues to be a problem after a few weeks of doing that, for an adult, I'd recommend some sort of sleeping pill, but none of them seem to be FDA approved for children. There is a 7.5 mg capsule of temazepam available, which is an extremely small dose (I take 30mg a night) so a doctor might write it off label for a child if the wakings continue, as that is what it is supposed to stop, although it also induces sleep as well.

ccom5100
01-09-15, 10:54 AM
Another option would be to switch to Tenex (which is the short-acting version of Intuniv). It is also much more reasonably priced because it is an older med. My grandson takes 2 mg/day of Tenex. He takes 1 mg in the am and 1 mg in late afternoon or early evening.

tripleE
01-09-15, 02:31 PM
Yes - my daughter had the same problem. Some weird dreams I think as well. She's not a great sleeper, but the night waking with Intuniv was brutal.

We switched to a morning dose instead and it solved the problem.

She has a low fat bfast in the mornings and we encourage her to stay hydrated through the day (which she sometimes actually does).