View Full Version : What is the opposite of a personality disorder?

mildadhd
01-08-15, 11:26 PM
What is the opposite of a personality disorder?

A personality order?

P

Greyhound1
01-08-15, 11:47 PM

A personality order?

P

A Non-Personality Order, perhaps.

Lunacie
01-08-15, 11:49 PM
There is no opposite. Just like ADHD is the far end of the normal spectrum,
personality disorders are the far end of a normal spectrum.

Day and night are not really opposites. There is some light in the darkest night
and some dark in the brightest day. That's also a spectrum.

mildadhd
01-09-15, 12:41 AM
A Non-Personality Order, perhaps.

Perhaps!,

Nonexistent Personality Order?

P

Greyhound1
01-09-15, 12:49 AM

Day and night are not really opposites. There is some light in the darkest night

They are considered Polar opposites

mildadhd
01-09-15, 01:18 AM

Existent Personality Disorder----------Nonexistent Personality Order----------Existent Personality Disorder

Perhaps?

P

SB_UK
01-09-15, 09:44 AM
the point is to be happy

- attaining the right defn of happiness

mildadhd
01-09-15, 09:48 AM
the point is to be happy

to sad(manic)-----------happiness-----------to happy(mania)

P

Lunacie
01-09-15, 10:45 AM
They are considered Polar opposites

Mirriam-Webster dictionary says this about "polar opposites":

: a straight line related to a point; specifically : the straight line joining the points of contact of the tangents from a point exterior to a conic section

and this:

: being at opposite ends of a spectrum of symptoms or manifestations

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/polar

Fuzzy12
01-09-15, 12:25 PM
I like personality order :D

Well, rather, having an ordered personality but that sounds more boring. It's high time that NTs got some weird and wonderful labels too!! :D

Wowwowwow
01-09-15, 12:26 PM
No personality......:yes:

Corina86
01-09-15, 01:21 PM
Perfect personality- no flaws, no quirks- an imaginary concept.

peripatetic
01-09-15, 01:45 PM
i'm assuming you mean "a personality disorder" as defined clinically? like, the opposite of meeting criteria for having a diagnosed personality disorder?

the opposite of disorder(ed) would be healthy or functional, i'd think. like a healthy, functional, personality as opposed to a disordered/destructive/dysfunctional one.

Baal Moom
01-09-15, 03:48 PM
Dead On the Inside. Or Redundant Person.

Fuzzy12
01-09-15, 04:08 PM
Sigh, I would have never thought that some day Id crave being dead inside or redundant....:o;)

Greyhound1
01-09-15, 05:02 PM

I think your link is to the word polar. Couldn't even find Polar Opposite on your link. Here is what I found.
Word: polar opposite
that which is conspicuously different in most important respects.
See also: Opposite
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

eclectic beagle
01-09-15, 05:14 PM
Pierce Brosnon with coping mechanisms. Or just Pierce Brosnon.

mildadhd
01-09-15, 09:30 PM
the point is to be happy

I made a couple of mistakes in post #8 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1712073&postcount=8).

to sad(manic)----------SEEKING/necessity----------to happy(mania)

I wonder PLAY/joy is also happiness.

(_____?_____)----------PLAY/joy----------(_____?_____)

LUST/sexuality and CARE/attachment also feel good.

Basic positive primary emotional response systems.

P

mildadhd
01-09-15, 10:29 PM

and this:

I could be wrong but I don't think that magnetic lines travel in straight lines?

Magnetic lines curve around the earth.

I'm not sure there are any straight lines in nature?

P

mildadhd
01-09-15, 10:58 PM
I like personality order :D

Well, rather, having an ordered personality but that sounds more boring. It's high time that NTs got some weird and wonderful labels too!! :D

I'm trying really hard not to start a thread titled...

"Famous People with Personality Orders"

P

mildadhd
01-09-15, 11:10 PM
No personality......:yes:

NP are so NT.

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 12:12 AM

It really is hard to imagine.

P

Greyhound1
01-10-15, 12:29 AM

That could get you in serious trouble if people thought it was true.

Probably safer to have a few flaws. Lol

mildadhd
01-10-15, 01:16 AM
i'm assuming you mean "a personality disorder" as defined clinically? like, the opposite of meeting criteria for having a diagnosed personality disorder?

the opposite of disorder(ed) would be healthy or functional, i'd think. like a healthy, functional, personality as opposed to a disordered/destructive/dysfunctional one.

I keep getting confused between opposite (verses) and opposite (homeostasis)?

Biometaphorical examples:

*low blood sugar (verses) high blood sugar

*low blood sugar-----------(homeostasis)Healthy Blood Sugar(homeostasis)--------high blood sugar

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 01:21 AM
That could get you in serious trouble if people thought it was true.

Probably safer to have a few flaws. Lol

Even some saintly people really got flipping tables angry.

(7 unconditioned emotional response systems)

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 01:52 AM
Dead On the Inside. Or Redundant Person.

Personality order in personality disorder?

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 02:04 AM
Pierce Brosnon with coping mechanisms. Or just Pierce Brosnon.

007 primary emotional response systems.

P

Greyhound1
01-10-15, 02:22 AM
Even some saintly people got flipping tables angry.

(7 unconditioned emotional response systems)

P

Perhaps, getting angry and flipping tables when it's appropriate is not a flaw. Perhaps, it's a perfect reaction.

dvdnvwls
01-10-15, 02:41 AM
It's similar to "What's the opposite of a hair style?" - which I guess is a hair "not-style", or in other words just some hair. Similarly, the opposite of a personality disorder is a personality "not-disorder", or in other words just a personality.

Or... maybe being bald is the hair "not-style". In which case... :)

No, that's a not-hair not-style. :)

psychopathetic
01-10-15, 02:43 AM
Okay...I'm officially too dumb for this thread.

>.<'

dvdnvwls
01-10-15, 02:44 AM

>.<'

Your logic is reversed - you're actually too thread for this dumb. :lol:

No, wait, that's not it... :D

BellaVita
01-10-15, 03:58 AM

>.<'

No you're not :)

daveddd
01-10-15, 09:03 AM
nerd alert

id believe the opposite of a PD, is someone who's learned to use healthy coping mechanisms to keep themselves at homeostasis and a state of well being

someone who has a solid and stable sense of themselves , learned throughout life from emotional learning of there values and goals

Fortune
01-10-15, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure some PDs could be direct opposites of each other.

mildadhd
01-10-15, 10:15 AM
We need to be careful not to get into a religion discussion but perhaps, getting angry and flipping tables when it's appropriate is not a flaw. Perhaps, it's a perfect reaction.

Excellent points.

Going to start a new thread in the new and unconventional ways of looking open science section, to avoid conflict with anyone that might find the thread chit chat dumb, or something like that.

I think I cursed this thread when I wrongly posted NT have NP.

My apologies to those with personality orders.

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 10:38 AM

Interesting.

Maybe "parts" could also possibly appear opposite in the same person?

Examples

Manic and mania?

Hyperactive and inattentive?

P

daveddd
01-10-15, 10:53 AM

this is definitely the case in attachment theory (not getting into cause here, just outcome findings

i also think it applies to add (if barkley theory stands as being primarily a disorder of emotional reg difficulties )

you have on one end of the "spectrum" over control (avoidant OCPD) where mechanisms are put into place to over control experiences, while this may appear less dysfunctional from the outside, it still interferes with the ability to use emotion and body signals for goal planning and future behavior

then the obvious under control (borderline) the "live wires" where instead of using emotion appropriately , they're acted out , in a manner that causes much dysfunction

i think a person can also alternate between the ends of the spectrum

mildadhd
01-10-15, 11:17 AM
this is definitely the case in attachment theory (not getting into cause here, just outcome findings

i also think it applies to add (if barkley theory stands as being primarily a disorder of emotional reg difficulties )

you have on one end of the "spectrum" over control (avoidant OCPD) where mechanisms are put into place to over control experiences, while this may appear less dysfunctional from the outside, it still interferes with the ability to use emotion and body signals for goal planning and future behavior

then the obvious under control (borderline) the "live wires" where instead of using emotion appropriately , they're acted out , in a manner that causes much dysfunction

i think a person can also alternate between the ends of the spectrum

Dr. Mate has been writing about ADHD and emotional regulation for years.

Does Dr. Barkley and Dr. Mate both write the same about ADHD and emotional self regulation?

If not what are the differences?

P

daveddd
01-10-15, 11:23 AM

Does Dr. Barkley and Dr. Mate both write the same about ADHD and emotional self regulation?

P

barkley focuses much on the outward presentation of ED

mildadhd
01-10-15, 11:31 AM
barkley focuses much on the outward presentation of ED

Interesting.

What do you mean by "outward presentation"?

P

daveddd
01-10-15, 11:48 AM

P

Interesting.

What do you mean by "outward presentation"?

P

low frustration tolerance

mildadhd
01-10-15, 12:17 PM
low frustration tolerance

Interesting

Low tolerance for frustration.

Lower capacity for emotional distress.

I would like to consciously store and unconsciously think about what I feel about the question, "What is frustration?", biologically.

Little by little, the more I store about the brain anatomy, the more I can picture in my MindBrain

Thanks

P

dvdnvwls
01-10-15, 02:38 PM
"Manic" is the adjective corresponding to the noun "mania". Saying that some person is manic is (exactly) the same as saying that that person is experiencing mania. Manic and mania are not opposites or parts of a spectrum but different ways of saying the same thing.

mildadhd
01-10-15, 09:39 PM
"Manic" is the adjective corresponding to the noun "mania". Saying that some person is manic is (exactly) the same as saying that that person is experiencing mania. Manic and mania are not opposites or parts of a spectrum but different ways of saying the same thing.

I was thinking...

manic depression---------SEEKING/necessity system---------mania

under arousal ---------Healthy Arousal--------over arousal

Because..

*The SEEKING/necessity system interacts with all 6 of the other primary emotional response systems.

**There are 3 other positive primary emotional response systems that feel good when Healthy.

-LUST/sexuality system
-CARE/social attachment system
-PLAY/joy system

**There are 3 other negative primary emotional response systems that feel bad when Healthy.

-RAGE/anger system
-FEAR/anxiety system
-PANIC/GRIEF/sadness system

When any combination of these 7 primary emotional response systems become chronically over-aroused and/or under-aroused, personality order may become personality disorder.

There are different types of depressions/anxieties.

Both good and bad feelings promote survival. (Working on examples)

P

mildadhd
01-10-15, 10:22 PM
Being aware that a Healthy Balance of a combination of these bad and good emotional feelings promotes survival, helps me understand some extreme feelings I experience better.

P

dvdnvwls
01-11-15, 03:13 AM
Ah... I think I get it...
"Manic depression" is an older or obsolete term for bipolar. The two "poles" of bipolar are

Depression <-> Mania

and NOT

Manic <-> Mania.

mildadhd
01-11-15, 01:01 PM
"Manic depression" is an older or obsolete term for bipolar. The two "poles" of bipolar are

Depression <-> Mania

and NOT

Manic <-> Mania.

Thanks,

"Overarousal of the SEEKING system may be mania."(-Paraphrasing Panksepp)

depression(underarousal)---------SEEKING/necessity system(Healthy Arousal)---------mania(overarousal)

The SEEKING/necessity system is 1 of 7 primary emotions and is complexly interconnected with all 6 other primary emotions.

I am focusing on the 7 basic psychological common denominators in all personality orders.

P

SB_UK
01-12-15, 07:25 AM
nerd alert

id believe the opposite of a PD, is someone who's learned to use healthy coping mechanisms to keep themselves at homeostasis and a state of well being

someone who has a solid and stable sense of themselves , learned throughout life from emotional learning of there values and goals

a healthy, functional, personality

balance

Personally I find that at the balance of low EEG sleep and high EEG wake is mid-EEG theta/alpha transition EEG daydream which I am happy in.

No personality disorders until I have to leave it.

SB_UK
01-12-15, 08:00 AM
The problem we might run into with supportin the daydream is that the criticism might be levelled at it - that it's not productive.
But the point is to be happy and not to be productive.
I think we all know that being productive has lead to human beings destroying the planet.

Perhaps we don't need any more producers and just need a set of people who're happy daydreaming away - doing whichever pursuits are compatible with daydream.

Strict rule - I can't speak and daydream.

Music, sport, cycle, repetitive processes ... ... but not speak - more so - can't even think using words using ideas which I don't originate. Just a feeling of tiredness - don't want to think about what somebody else has said - because they're not clear - not sure what they mean - and then 'stress' kicks in because of failure to know exactly what the appropriate response is.

So - I'd suggest that there's no personality disorders to be found in people who want to be in daydream and are allowed to be in daydream.

And ADDers are customzed to daydream - but of course society doesn't like us to be there.

So acquiring a certain type of mind.

SB_UK
01-12-15, 08:07 AM
The problem with productive.

Who's going to build the roads ?
Who wants roads <- answer

How're you going to get anywhere ?
Who wants to go anywhere <- happiness is a state of mind

What if we want a McDonalds?
Eat locally grown veggies - takeaway food kills you.

How do I get there without cars and roads ?
Walk

But what about nuclear physics and generating a nuclear fusion reactor ?
We know the basic structure of the atom and we don't need nuclear energy ?

Where do we get energy from ?
Sun (passive houses and for plants)

So - what you're basically saying is that pretty much all human beings are completely wasting their time and have been doing since the speciation of man ?
Yes

However - we'll take what human beings have found and can distil it into an understanding of reality - but ultimately all we're looking at is a fundamental shift away from man as God (reward system beating other people) and into man as equal (reward system helping other people).

And of course ! the ADDer hasn't reward system beating other people which is why we haveto take reward in a bottle in this society - and is customised to reward system helping other people.

SB_UK
01-12-15, 08:52 AM
The general point I'm trying to get to is that the personality disorder will not exist as the individual seeks to (and actually does) harmonise with natural systems - as opposed to fighting them.

Sci-fi teaches us that we're just round the corner from an alien invasion - not that we're a key part of 1 interconnected Universal web.

There's a tendency for the mind to separate things which cannot be separated out.

So - human beings are forever trying to fiddle with things - cut off limbs, genetically engineer, build yet another road, open up a new shipping lane ... ...

but if there were no wars there'd be no people with limbs which need cutting off, genetic modification is all about patent and not feeding the world, we don't need ANY roads and certainly don't need more roads - and why spend so much time/effort shipping 'stuff' around the planet when we can generate all we need locally - where all we need is almost nothing.

mildadhd
01-13-15, 09:49 AM
Strict rule - I can't speak and daydream.

I am not exactly sure if this is the same.

But last week I found an employer who tells me what needs to be done, then leaves me to get it done the way I prefer to do.

I also experimented with not getting into personal discussions and say as little as possible especially about personal topics not related to work.

So far my employer is really happy with my work, and I have been really happy with my employer for letting me do things the way I prefer.

The opposite of the different employers I had in the previous weeks, but I had to move on because they made me follow them around on a leash, controlling my every move. (Impossible to be happy)

Side note this has always been a problem for me, but I have also never been fired once, in all the jobs I have had.

Hopefully things keep going the way they are because I am much happier.

Like the day is almost on cruse control.

P

mildadhd
01-13-15, 09:54 AM

Depression <-> Mania

and NOT

Manic <-> Mania.

Dvdnvwls

What do you call the SEEKING primary emotional response system?

P

Flory
01-13-15, 10:07 AM
I feel like every single person on this planet shares some or all components of what would b considered a PD I don't believe for one minute as a species that we reach perfection however in the few with impairing and destructive symptoms I believe that's where you reach he point of it being clinically significant.

Little Missy
01-13-15, 10:11 AM
:goodpost:

Yowza! In a nutshell.:)

Lunacie
01-13-15, 11:23 AM
I feel like every single person on this planet shares some or all components of what would b considered a PD I don't believe for one minute as a species that we reach perfection however in the few with impairing and destructive symptoms I believe that's where you reach he point of it being clinically significant.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote that we're all along a spectrum in this as well.

daveddd
01-13-15, 11:28 AM
all psychology is basically dimensional human traits

SB_UK
01-14-15, 08:58 AM
Like the day is almost on cruse control.

P

That's my definition of happiness.

SB_UK
01-14-15, 09:02 AM
Coming off cruise control (road rage) - happens when there's some decision which needs to be made where there's no way of being sure what that decision should be

- road rage equivalent because of all the thoughts which then arise to resolve the problem.

Don't much like the mind in that state - prefer the 'empty' mind on cruise control.

Also noted connection between losing cruise control (daydream state of mind) and stress - manifests itself (as I observed) with dryness of mouth.

SB_UK
01-14-15, 09:25 AM
Here's a question -

'how are you?'

But how do I know ?

It's a little as though we're tasked with using words which mean nothing and so it's nicer in daydream/cruise mode since no word-based questions ?? which're ambiguous ?? arise

- or maybe none just arise.

Stevuke79
01-14-15, 09:30 AM

A personality order?

P

I love this!
I was going to say: proper mental functioning..

But that doesn't account for thing like chemical imbalances. So maybe it's "good coping skills".

Maybe the opposite of a personality disorder is the ability to cope with life in a healthy way?