View Full Version : Removing ADHD diagnosis?

Hml1976
01-09-15, 04:16 PM
Hi all. This probably isn't the right place to ask this but I'm hoping that all of your medical experience may be able to help me out.

My son was diagnosed with the hyper-impulsive type ADHD right at his 5th birthday (by a child psychiatrist) with the warning that we would probably be looking at classic ADHD shortly.

He's 8yrs old now and it's been clear to me for about a year that ADHD isn't really the issue. He has Tourette's syndrome and is showing some initial signs of OCD behaviors. He is no longer hyper. He is a little impulsive still, trouble with waiting in lines and occasionally keeping his hands to himself. But, he is extremely organized. Very neat in schoolwork, handwriting, clean room etc. Zero focus issues, straight A student, in gifted program. Socially he's kind of a loner but not strangely so. When I look at the criteria for ADHD he doesn't qualify.

When I take him to the pediatrician she always has advice for me on ADHD, handouts on organization, parent groups, etc. She treats the Tourette's as a secondary issue where really that's what has the largest impact on his life and I worry that some of the cleanliness and other stuff (he counts things, will tell you how many syllables your sentence has, things like that) are signs of OCD.

Whenever I try to explain my concerns she will say something like "well the main concern with Tourette's is usually ADHD and he's been diagnosed with ADHD." Ugh. I'm considering trying to get the ADHD diagnosis removed but I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't really mind that it's on his record (he certainly qualified for it when he was 5) but I'd like to switch the focus.

Any advice? Do I need to go back to the psychiatrist? Thanks!

zette93
01-10-15, 01:15 PM
It occurs to me that you could just switch physicians, and not tick off the ADHD box on the intake form. Although it will still be in the patient records if you transfer them, doctors don't tend to go back and look through those in detail. If you don't tick off the box, it won't be in the forefront of the doctor's mind, and they will probably talk about ADHD from the perspective that it is commonly co-morbid with Tourettes, rather than as a primary concern.

Lunacie
01-10-15, 01:36 PM
There isn't much a primary care physician can do for Tourette's,
except refer the patient to a psychiatrist or psychologist for therapy.

I wouldn't worry about getting the ADHD dx removed at this point,
but it sounds like a good idea to go back to a psychiatrist for more help.