View Full Version : Thinking of going back to school...

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 05:02 AM
I was great in high school, took tons of AP classes, had mostly As and extremely high SAT and ACT scores, but I went to the University of Florida and I hated Florida, got in with the wrong crowd, had my own problems, etc., etc., etc. so never finished.

I read an article today that 2 years of Community College may be made free, so I wondered, what is considered a community college in NYC? I found that there are quite a few good ones!

I'm currently looking at John Jay College of Criminal Justice for a major in Computer Science focusing on security and forensics (but also including all the programming, etc.). It's very close to my apartment and I should be able to get a good rate as an in-city student no matter what.

Sounds like a good degree to have, I think computer security is going to be a big thing going forward, look at the Sony Pictures thing.

namazu
01-10-15, 05:07 AM
Would you be looking at a bachelor's or a certificate?

Start looking into whether any credits you earned at the University of Florida might transfer, which would save you time and possibly money.

Also start getting paperwork together for the disability office -- even if you don't anticipate needing any accommodations, it's good to have that stuff on file just in case.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 05:13 AM
Bachelor of Science, yeah I have tons of credits just from my AP classes plus the U of F.

Ok, good idea re: disability stuff.

Thanks!

namazu
01-10-15, 05:19 AM
Bachelor of Science, yeah I have tons of credits just from my AP classes plus the U of F.

Ok, good idea re: disability stuff.
Yep, cash in those credits!

Re: disability stuff, in addition to the ADHD stuff, you might also want to provide documentation for your arm injury, in case you end up temporarily unable to write/type and need to record classes or enlist a note-taker or scribe.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 05:30 AM
From AP classes in high school I have: Calculus BC (5), Physics (5), Biology (5), American History (4), 2 English classes both 3s (I was never good at English, but that's a passing grade). I think that's it.

From UF I had Economics A, Astronomy A, Statistics B, Assembly Language Programming A, Scheme C (that language sucks), French C (that language sucks too :lol: ), and a bunch of F's because I never went to class even for the tests.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 05:37 AM
oh I got a 5 in AP Computer Science forgot that

namazu
01-10-15, 05:37 AM
For what it's worth...

Students transferring into a CUNY bachelor's program from a non-CUNY bachelor's program will be required to complete 12 College Option credits.

On transferring into a CUNY college, that college will determine whether any of the courses the student took before transferring fulfill (or partially fulfill) any of the College Option requirements.

If the student later transfers to another CUNY college, that college will respect the initial CUNY college's decision about how many College Option credits were fulfilled before the transfer.

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited and recognized institution of higher education and who transfer to a CUNY college will be deemed to have automatically fulfilled the College Option requirements for a CUNY degree.

[...]

AP Credits

AP credits will continue to transfer in as "courses taken" in the form of college credits. AP credits may (or may not) fulfill Common Core requirements as designated by colleges. Students should check their college's requirements to see whether their AP credits may count for Common Core credit. If a college allows an AP credit to count toward a Common Core requirement, a score of 4 or 5 is required.

You'll probably need to talk to an actual person in the John Jay advising office to figure out which credits from UF will transfer and what they'll count towards.

Laserbeak
01-10-15, 05:45 AM
For what it's worth...

You'll probably need to talk to an actual person in the John Jay advising office to figure out which credits from UF will transfer and what they'll count towards.

Yeah. Well this idea is in its infancy. If I actually make it there it won't be until next fall at the earliest.