View Full Version : What does it feel like after meds?

Leann8806
01-10-15, 11:28 PM
Anyone want to share their before and afters?
I haven't been prescribed anything and I am anxious to know what it will feel like to think normally. :)

Pilgrim
01-11-15, 02:35 AM
A bit more focused. A feeling of being glad to be able to do things. Better memory.

dvdnvwls
01-11-15, 03:36 AM
Not better motivated

Not smarter

If hyperactive, then hyperactivity is very noticeably reduced

Better able to focus on a task long enough to really get it done

Seeming smarter and more focused to others (this is a surprisingly big help - when others are more confident in you, everything goes a bit better).

Of course that's not everything, but it's a start.

BellaVita
01-11-15, 04:12 AM
Not better motivated

Not smarter

If hyperactive, then hyperactivity is very noticeably reduced

Better able to focus on a task long enough to really get it done

Seeming smarter and more focused to others (this is a surprisingly big help - when others are more confident in you, everything goes a bit better).

Of course that's not everything, but it's a start.

David, I never knew....

dvdnvwls
01-11-15, 04:40 AM
David, I never knew....

Probably just as well. :)

BellaVita
01-11-15, 04:42 AM
Probably just as well. :)

It's okay I still love you as a woman :)

No wonder we get along so well....

To the OP:
Maybe try not expecting anything, that way you won't be let down and you may be pleasantly surprised.

dvdnvwls
01-11-15, 04:43 AM
It's okay I still love you as a woman :)

Haven't you always been a woman? Or am I missing something? :giggle:

psychopathetic
01-11-15, 10:51 AM
It's okay. I love you as a woman too Dvd! <3
:giggle:

Elizabeth83
01-11-15, 04:55 PM
for me I have noticed a lot of improvements. I feel so much more confidence in my abilities, my thoughts, speaking, actions, etc. I'm normally pretty introverted, but while medicated I feel like I talk too much. It's not so bad and it doesn't seem to drain me as much as it does w/o medication. I am more energetic and bright, friendly, outgoing, quick witted... I can say that It is a great helper to me, but it will not fix me. I don't take it every single day. I have tried dextroamphetamine 15mg xr by Teva. I do not have any side effects besides a headache and fatigue when the drug is wearing off.

tinybike
01-18-15, 10:52 AM
It's been really subtle for me, but I'm also on my first trial of medication and it's not quite working well enough (it is the perfect dosing for day-to-day, just not enough to compete with schoolwork).

The biggest difference is that I can think "Oh, I should make that phone call" and then instead of walking away and forgetting about it forever, I just.. make the phone call. My thoughts go in a straight(er) line. It's just a little easier for me to organize the path that makes sense around the tasks I have to do, if I really want to do them. I'm less anxious about forgetting things because I can remember that I've gone through my checklist, yes, the entire checklist, and no, I didn't leave a burner on, and yes, I locked the door. That's pretty much it.

I can also sit in a chair without fidgeting too much! That's important not because fidgeting is bad, but because other people notice/comment and it makes me feel better not to be doing it.

Aimie29
01-18-15, 11:27 AM
I have been taking medication for 4 months, I "just do" in stead of think about doing things, which does help me me accomplish more throughout the day! I can notice when I am getting distracted and I currently working on behavioral modification. I do feel that it is has helped, but medication is only 10% of the solution. I have had ADHD my entire life and went undiagnosed til just after my 27th birthday. I have developed very unhealthy habits and coping mechanisms, that are very hard to break.

I have noticed that I get hyper focused a lot, not sure if it is do to medication or if I am just able to notice it now!

Cdnstargazer
03-08-15, 03:15 PM
I remember the first time I took Ritalin.

I was a mess. My boss had spoken to me about being more engaged at work, listening to others etc. My partner was at her wits end, having to repeat things to me constantly, remind me of Apts, dates, housework chores etc and we fought a lot.

My brain was a mess and I would go from one task to the next trying to accomplish several things at once but not finishing anything. I could never remain motivated even when it came to my passion (photography ) and would surf the Web with 6+ browser tabs open at once Again, accomplishin nothing but wasting time quite well.

Last year I was waiting for my diagnosis which the psychologist stated it looked like ADHD but he needed another week to go over my full assessment. I went to my GP, told him what the psychologist said, told him my relationship and work life were suffering and I was given a weeks worth of Ritalin.

Within 5 minutes of taking it, my stomach began clenching in an almost nervous way, it wasn't that bad. I went about attempting chores. 15 minutes later I realized that I was actually getting quite a bit done at least compared to what my usual would be, which was to leave organized piles everywhere. My partner used to comment "Just put them away! "

I was quite happy to learn that I wasn't stupid, that I just had faulty wiring that needed a bit of outside help.

For now, I use medication as a tool to turn off the unnecessary channels and thoughts in my brain so that I can focus at work, with my partner, in my relationships and in everyday life. Medication is not the cure but it can help an awful lot if you have ADHD. :)

sarahsweets
03-10-15, 04:26 AM
For me, it was as if I had been climbing a mountain with no oxygen. Meds were like my oxygen and allowed me tp breath deep.

Chicky75
03-10-15, 02:05 PM
My experience has been like Aimie's - I just do things instead of sitting and thinking about doing them. And I seem to notice how long things take more, too, which was always something that would stop me from starting things before. Now I can realize that putting my clothes away is really only going to take five minutes, so I'll just do it. I also feel like it's easier to break tasks up into smaller steps.

I'm on Strattera and Wellbutrin now, but have tried Adderall in the past. With Adderall, I could focus more, but it made me really tense and anxious and didn't help me get started on things. The meds I have now are MUCH better for me.

Daydreamin22
03-10-15, 04:52 PM
I was on Adderall and it wrecked my life. Then I was on bipolar meds Bc they thought I had it due to the way I was acting on Adderall, and it just put me down and out. Now I'm in recovery and off of all meds. This was lie a five year long ordeal. Turns out I don't have ADHD. Was misdiagnosed by the best place in the us. Sucks. Just be careful of side effects and make sure you don't get caught up with professionals who are so pro med that they ignore the potential harm they can do.

sarahsweets
03-13-15, 04:32 AM
Try not to let the fear of meds scare you away from treatment.

MrsNewton
03-17-15, 11:24 AM
The biggest changes for me were:

Decreased impulsivity - I can walk by things in the store now instead of buying them, less likely to interrupt, (sometimes).

My brain seems to go slower, so I can focus on one thing at a time instead of many.

I can concentrate on one thing for much longer than I ever could without meds.

I do get side effects, which are dry mouth, weight loss and I find myself pursing my lips a lot. Weird, I know.

spunkysmum
03-17-15, 11:50 AM
I do get side effects, which are dry mouth, weight loss and I find myself pursing my lips a lot. Weird, I know.

I lick my lips a lot. Especially if I haven't taken meds for a day or two and go back to them. Actually I guess I do purse my lips too, and exhale through them like I'm whistling.

Cdnstargazer
03-19-15, 02:40 AM
Before meds: I was a scattered mess.I would start numerous tasks at once and never fully complete them both at work at home. I couldn't prioritize tasks and errands in levels of importance- they all needed to be done at once in my mind. Driving was treacherous because I'd be thinking of numerous things While trying to focus on the road and other drivers around me.. This would lead to near accidents with other cars (and no I wasn't texting and driving ).

When I was medicated: They thousands of thoughts in my mind decreased. I was able to survey my surroundings, and calmly decide what needed to be done first and then I would work on that task until it was complete. I was able to logically decide what was the most important task and tackle that first. I was able to hold conversations without interrupting. I was able to drive calmly and focus on the other cars and surroundings around me which began to make driving feel safer for me and others. Coworkers began commenting that I was a team player and a hard worker which I had never experienced before-which lead to an increased self esteem.
My life has changed a great deal due to medication for my condition. Is it cured? No. But I can start to live up to my potential. :)

WeezerB
09-02-15, 05:54 PM
When I first started adderall about a month ago, I started on the weekend so my husband would be home incase something happened...and something did happen! I felt the most energy I had felt in years I got all kinds of things done. Almost like I turned green and grew super hug muscles or like I was super woman or something. It amped me up and allowed me to stay focused in the mist of all I was trying to do. After the first 3 days that feeling wore off and I started to question if life was really this good. Before I was on edge and mad most of the time. Adderall helped to get my head in the game. At last I could use 2 hands and multitask. I would not trade my 20mg a day for the world. It is a great aid in my life :) don't be nervous all will work out fine and if not you dr will do the best they can to find something that does work for you!

agentmargo
09-15-15, 04:55 PM
I feel more "chill" in a lot of ways. I can remember things MUCH, MUCH better, and I feel like the world has slowed down for me to pay attention to what's going on. Before, it was like things moved too quickly for me to make sense of them--when in reality, it was ME that was moving too fast to take in information. The biggest change is I have a choice in what I want to do or say, since my impulsivity is much reduced. I also am able to start things because I know I can focus long enough to see it through.

I'm also better at math. It was weird, I took a MENSA test a couple weeks ago (it didn't tell me how I did...I passed with either an 87% or 90% score, I can't remember...LOL!! :o). I began the 30-minute test getting several answers in a row wrong (mostly math). Then, 10 minutes in, I took my short-acting Adderall. By the end of the test, I had stopped making any mistakes and my ability to solve math problems doubled (I could do 2 problems in half the time it had taken me before the Adderall). I literally could see the drug working before my eyes.

Other fun unexpected effects: My handwriting improves, I make fewer typing errors, my handwritten words are spaced evenly (I always ran out of space at the end of my sentences, as far back as 3rd grade, which to me indicates I have a really hard time planning ahead, a classic ADHDism), I can make decisions quickly without overanalyzing them, and yet ironically I can anticipate important details more easily. It's been great for me!!

kelsiebree15
09-17-15, 03:14 PM
I just started my Adderall. Its day three. I am 24 and found out I am add after many attemps to figure out what was wrong with me. I was diagnosied with everything under the sun but was not telling my doctors the real problems becasue i didnt no that this is why I was dealing with all of it becasue i thought it was normal. I wish i could explain to people how its made me see clear. I can think. I feel so much better about myself. I feel happy again. I have to deal with my childhood though. its like my mind was so crazy i never had to deal with it even though i thought maybe i did because i didnt think nor talk about it. Now i see the add just made me not deal with it. I am just so upset because my family doesnt think its add and becasue of my fauiled attemps to fix me they think they just through something at me. I try so hard to explain how it makes me feel more less see and they say its cause I am high. I have so much going i just dont no if i should stay on it. i have never been addicted to anything or never did drugs thats not me. I have never in my life have seen this clear or better. They think I just need to go do something and I will come out of it not true. They didnt really see how I worked because I made it work for me I did complain because i thought thats how you suppose to be. I addreall has let me be me. I think it is my life saver. My sister says well whats normal how do you no u are just high. It makes me so upset cause to think i even have to take a pill to fill this way for the rest of my life to feel like my life is going right. its given me back so much in just a few days but its like when a baby opens it eyes for the first time. i have so many feelings because i swear i have never felt this happy and in control ever in my life. I just need to talk to someone. I didnt want to get addicted. I dont want to have to take this everyday just to feel this clear. I must sound like I am high. I just cant explain to anyone because they didnt live in this head or my life. I just made it all work even when I was crying inside. I was brought up to act as if life is fine even when u are falling apart.

Jenn1202
09-18-15, 02:58 AM
In general (when the meds work properly):
Significantly less internal distractions. I can actually stick to one thought instead of getting lost in my thoughts when I'm trying to study or solve a problem. This really helps with attention and high level processing.
Better short term memory.
The ability to read and comprehend without skipping around al the time and without having to read each line a bazillion times.
My thoughts are more organized.
Mental clarity
I don't mind doing boring things as much as before
My work is more organized (but still cluttered/disorganized..).
It's easier to get started on work.
I can enjoy my work.
I can enjoy things that require high levels of processing and attention instead of getting a headache.
Less daydreaming about doing other things while attempting to get something done.
Getting things done faster, better and more efficiently when needed.
The ability to get started on thing early and actually do something instead of staring at it until the last minute.
I don't need as much stress to get things done.
Better planning ability
More motivation
It's easier to get started on things. Ritalin and Adderall actually push me to get started, but Dexedrine... not nearly as much...

Adderall specific (especially on the first few days):
Significantly more motivated
Very calm
Motivated enough to do very boring chores like cleaning (getting started and doing the chore continuously for hours)
I'm relatively friendly (unlike Ritalin that often made me a bit zombified)

Faithh
09-22-15, 01:00 AM
Lol, I hated Ritalin. It made me feel glued to whatever I was doing and unable to decide what to focus on. I was also grumpy.
Adderall works much better for me in every respect: motivation, attention, organization... I just wish it would last longer... I have to re-dose more frequently than the average... Fast metabolism?

But after being in Adderall for even a few days, I don't ever want to be without it. To recognize how much you really did not notice before is somewhat disturbing. Like you can see how people saw you... And it was not pretty. I second pretty much every positive statement about stimulants above: yes, yes, and damn it, YES!

Some of the frustrating statements I have also experienced... Just recognize that is why there is more than one medication available. Everyone's biochemistry is just ever so slightly unique.

I've started to notice something else. I am more "mature". Meaning maybe I don't feel as happy-go-lucky as I used to (because I'm not oblivious), so unfortunately I have to learn new coping skills. ADHD allows you to zone out of things that bother you. Not a chance of than happening with your attention span improved. You will not forget what you are frustrated about, and you will need to learn how to deal with being more aware of things you might rather zone-out of.

whitehusky3
11-13-15, 06:30 PM
I've started to notice something else. I am more "mature". Meaning maybe I don't feel as happy-go-lucky as I used to (because I'm not oblivious), so unfortunately I have to learn new coping skills. ADHD allows you to zone out of things that bother you. Not a chance of than happening with your attention span improved. You will not forget what you are frustrated about, and you will need to learn how to deal with being more aware of things you might rather zone-out of.

Since starting medication, this is something I have noticed too. I used to have a coping mechanism to laugh at things when they were hurting me emotionally. My immediate response to someone saying something mean (whether intentional or not) was to laugh and joke about it without really letting it sink in all the way. Now that I'm on medication, I don't joke around as much and I'm noticing a lot more things. Like my co-worker isn't the nice person I thought she was, and she actually gets stressed out easily and says mean things frequently without thinking. I'm noticing my other co-worker that I used to avoid because I didn't think I could trust her is more along the lines of someone I want to associate with. She's calmer and thinks carefully about what she wants to say. I used to think her being so quiet and thoughtful meant she couldn't be trusted. Boy, was I wrong! She's very nice and polite. Medication made me notice all this and I'm thankful for it.

ToneTone
11-19-15, 06:07 PM
I can think better ... I can plan better ...

Indeed it's funny ... but on medication, I find myself often saying, "I wonder what would be a good way to simplify this task? ... or that task?"

I don't think I EVER asked that question before ... I'm not sure my brain was clear enough to ask that question.

So now, I constantly look for easy ways to do things... short cuts ... I'm a teacher and the ability to plan and the ability to think of ways to simplify my work and simplify my organization has been tremendously helpful. Turns out that is what highly organized people do ... they look for ways to make it easy to do the work they need to do! They look for ways to remind themselves of tasks they need to do ...

It's so funny: I am always stealing from my highly organized students. I am amazed at what they do ... how they plan .. how they get sleep ... how they take care of themselves ...

By the way, your reaction to meds will be unique ... Most of us try different meds and different dosages of meds ... it's a process ... and different meds may convey different effects.

Example: on Concerta I am Mr. Energy ... I mean I am fully energized and that energy and motivation allows me to get more good stuff done ...On Vyvanse, I'm Mr. "Let me step back and think about this" ... which gives me a different type of organization in the world ...

Good luck ... the key is to find a good doc and to report back your reaction to the meds in specific detail and then work with the doc in making adjustments ...

Tone

Funky1
11-19-15, 06:52 PM
I'm still new at this, still trying to find my medication "sweet spot," but I'm starting to notice my brain slowing down much more. Already noticing less impulsiveness, and more motivation, though my concentration still is a bit cluttered at times. I do find myself doing a lot more internal planning, thinking things through more, but I'm also becoming keenly aware that I want to look beyond the meds and learn some coping skills and strategies to better organize my life. Still a long way to go, but at least I'm finally on the road!

Dimirah
03-15-16, 07:06 AM
You all have such positive effects from taking the medication. Today was my first day on Zenzedi and to be honest I just didn't feel any change. My eyes seems a little more awake, but reading, staying focused, the million thoughts running through my head, none of that got better. going to try again tomorrow, but I wonder if there is something else I can try or how do I know the medication just isn't right for me?

sarahsweets
03-16-16, 02:54 AM
You all have such positive effects from taking the medication. Today was my first day on Zenzedi and to be honest I just didn't feel any change. My eyes seems a little more awake, but reading, staying focused, the million thoughts running through my head, none of that got better. going to try again tomorrow, but I wonder if there is something else I can try or how do I know the medication just isn't right for me?

You have to give it more than a few days.

KellyS
03-16-16, 09:53 AM
Anyone want to share their before and afters?
I haven't been prescribed anything and I am anxious to know what it will feel like to think normally. :)

mostly depending on what you are being prescribed. if it something that would help you then normally, you would feel better nearly in an instant. but if it is something that won't work for you then... I guess you got it. Before I have been prescribed meds I was much worse than after... I don't encourage anyone to take meds, I just want to say that sometimes they are helpful whereas there are other people who find them harmful, people are different...

KellyS
03-16-16, 11:33 AM
Before meds: I was a scattered mess.I would start numerous tasks at once and never fully complete them both at work at home. I couldn't prioritize tasks and errands in levels of importance- they all needed to be done at once in my mind. Driving was treacherous because I'd be thinking of numerous things While trying to focus on the road and other drivers around me.. This would lead to near accidents with other cars (and no I wasn't texting and driving ).

When I was medicated: They thousands of thoughts in my mind decreased. I was able to survey my surroundings, and calmly decide what needed to be done first and then I would work on that task until it was complete. I was able to logically decide what was the most important task and tackle that first. I was able to hold conversations without interrupting. I was able to drive calmly and focus on the other cars and surroundings around me which began to make driving feel safer for me and others. Coworkers began commenting that I was a team player and a hard worker which I had never experienced before-which lead to an increased self esteem.
My life has changed a great deal due to medication for my condition. Is it cured? No. But I can start to live up to my potential. :)

pretty much explained it all. amazing forum with amazing people here :)

roxy1983
05-25-16, 05:02 AM
Honestly? I started taking meds at 21 and before it feels like your brain is a web browser with a million tabs open. You try to focus on one but it disappears and more keep popping up. It's a traffic jam in your brain! From the outside though I looked daydreamy and lazy and could never get anything done.

After - I went is this what everyone else's brain feels like? It's wonderful. I went from working all day and only getting 1-2 things done to 17-18. The difference is night and day.