View Full Version : Anyone in us on dex?

michaelaisabell
01-11-15, 11:52 PM
I was thinking about trying dex cuz I have some side effects from my adderall like sweating, sometimes jitters, increased heart rate ( at yimes)
But I looked at my prescription plan and dex is not covered.

Adderall, ritalin, metadate, straterra, intuniv are all covered but dex is not listed.
I know concerta is not listed and I was able to get it but idk if the dex would get covered.
Is this med just not used much in the states?

dvdnvwls
01-12-15, 01:26 AM
I was thinking about trying dex cuz I have some side effects from my adderall like sweating, sometimes jitters, increased heart rate ( at yimes)
But I looked at my prescription plan and dex is not covered.

Adderall, ritalin, metadate, straterra, intuniv are all covered but dex is not listed.
I know concerta is not listed and I was able to get it but idk if the dex would get covered.
Is this med just not used much in the states?

My unsubstantiated opinion: It appears that some legislators are trying to get Dexedrine removed from the market, and that some doctors and insurers are willing to try to make that happen.

namazu
01-12-15, 01:54 AM
I've taken it, and didn't have any problem finding it or getting it filled.

My insurance had fewer restrictions on stimulants than yours seems to, though.

If you could get Concerta approved, you may also be able to get dextroamphetamine approved with a compelling letter from your clinician. Hard to know without trying.

For what it's worth, regular dextroamphetamine (instant release) is available in generic form.

Jenn1202
01-12-15, 04:25 AM
I'm on Dexedrine and my insurance covers it. Are you sure your insurance doesn't cover generic dextroamphetamine/dexamphetamine? You could always just call them and ask and check if there's some way to get it covered.

Jenn1202
01-12-15, 04:31 AM
My unsubstantiated opinion: It appears that some legislators are trying to get Dexedrine removed from the market, and that some doctors and insurers are willing to try to make that happen.

Why would they do that if it causes less side effects than other amphetamines (just curious)?

TygerSan
01-12-15, 11:40 AM
Look for coverage of generic D-Amphetamine salts or something similar.

It may also be because you're an adult, you need a preauthorization for Dex like you do for Concerta; some of the stimulants are still off-label for adult use because the Drug Companies haven't bothered to do the requisite studies to get them officially approved for adult use.

dag nab it
01-14-15, 10:14 AM
Adderall's side effects are awful, so I cannot understand why Dex isn't used more. Perhaps you want to check the medication list again - perhaps it is called "Zenzedi" or dexamfetamine sulphate, instead of dextroamphetamine.

Dex is available. However, generally pharmacists must order it from the wholesaler and do not keep it in stock. Perhaps some don't want to fill it because they don't want to be stuck with partial bottles.

daveddd
01-14-15, 10:17 AM
i hear very little about it in the US, not sure why

j_dubs
01-15-15, 05:08 AM
Adderall's side effects are awful, so I cannot understand why Dex isn't used more. Perhaps you want to check the medication list again - perhaps it is called "Zenzedi" or dexamfetamine sulphate, instead of dextroamphetamine.

Dex is available. However, generally pharmacists must order it from the wholesaler and do not keep it in stock. Perhaps some don't want to fill it because they don't want to be stuck with partial bottles.

I agree with you, if you aren't taking it as a daily medication (not advocating abuse of prescription drugs btw) it doesn't really matter, but if you are it becomes quite awful.

I remember one night I felt quite sick, sweaty, and dizzy from it, never happened again but after a while I'd take my dose and just feel the side effects and not any therapeutic benefit.

I believe it is the L-amp that is mostly responsible for this.. But I HIGHLY doubt it will be removed from the market, otherwise why would Zenzedi with its tremendous dose range just hit the market? Seems to me this is a play to get dextroamphetamine more in the playing field...the name "Dexedrine" just has so much stigma behind it, after all it's not like we're dealing with the old school 1960s-1970s mix of racemic amp/barbiturate combination pills like Dexamyl or Biphetamine-T.

And plus, demand is intense. I'd rather see hardcore synthetic opiates removed but no way that's going to happen either. Afterall they are coming out with a APAP-free hydrocodone :lol:

I'm taking the Wilshire 10mg generic this month (same as brand name Zenzedi) and I reckon they only do this because there's no patent on 5 and 10mg tabs, but they could hold the patent for any other dosage range. Sneaky. The plot always is thick with legal amphetamines....

aeon
03-15-15, 06:53 PM
I am prescribed Dex and I have never had a problem getting a prescription filled among the small number of pharmacies I have used.

Once or twice I have had to wait a couple of days for a shipment to come in, but in general, 15mg spansules of Dex are readily available. (Barr, Mallinckrodt, Amedra, Actavis...it will be one of them for a while but it changes eventually and I only know once I pop off the cap.)

sarahsweets
03-16-15, 04:39 AM
I am back on dex and Ive noticed that I dont get the side effects I got with adderall.

FocusPocus10
03-20-15, 04:15 PM

Some people have more sides from dex some from addy. L-amp has its ups so to speak.

Flory
03-20-15, 10:22 PM
Dex is the one !

Pilgrim
03-23-15, 03:04 AM
That's what I think. I've been getting quite fluey lately though.

Hyperman87
03-24-15, 08:33 AM
Since Vyvanse is just Dexedrine,well my body turns(Vyvanse) into plain ole' Dexedrine(Dexamphetamine) um... Yes I am! :lol: I remember what original " Dexedrine" was like & I can tell you that Vyvanse is equivalent(or identical) in effect to Dexedrine. Much smoother than Adderall or Ritalin to me. Adderall was too strong just like Ritalin.

http://www.uacap.org/uploads/3/2/5/0/3250432/stimulant_equivalency.pdf