View Full Version : Lamotrigine + Vyvanse

eyentp
01-12-15, 05:04 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2011, along with depression a few months after. As for my depression, I seem to be more atypical in symptoms which is more correlated with bipolar. Along with that, my father is bipolar I.

With that said, I generally have ignored the possibility of being bipolar. I've tried all sorts of stimulant medications, and they all seemed to work for 4-6 and then rebound ADHD would seem to appear. However, it was much more intense, involved flight of ideas, irritability, and a general "agitated" state.

Prior to all medication, I can recall periods of my life where I could fit the criteria of being hypomanic, but never manic. Irritability, and flight of ideas seem to have been a staple of my moods, combined with months of atypical depression.

Over the past month I had flirted with the idea that I may in fact be bipolar II, and that the stimulants would trigger mixed episodes. With that working theory, I brought it up to my psychiatrist and we both felt comfortable trying out lamotrigine. As of this writing, I'm on 50mg of lamotrigine, and 30mg of vyvanse.

Currently, I don't experience any side effects from the lamotrigine. I'm keeping an eye out for any rashes, but mentally I do seem better.

Has anyone been on a combination of lamotrigine and a stimulant before? What were your results?

If anyone has any questions for me, and my current combination, feel free to ask. I will try to update this thread and keep the community involved in my progress.

Sickle
03-04-15, 05:40 PM
I take Lamictal for bipolar I disorder (200mg) and have been from 60mg-120mg of Adderall but went back to 60 of the XR. It holds off my manic episodes but I am not a rapid cycler. I get PRN doses of Klonopin too. I think you are just fine. Lamictal is one of two meds approved for Bipolar I disorder, long term treatment. Most people try to claim it is only good for depression but it was all that worked for me.

Karamo
03-20-15, 07:52 AM
When my doctor ran out of ideas she suggested I tried a "mood stabilizer". I thought it was utterly laughable seeing as I've never been close to even hypomania. But I yielded and said that I'd only try Lamictal brcause it didn't seem to 'cut tops' as much as the other options as well as alledgedly not having as high incidence of "slowing down the head" and "making one tired".

So I was on it for a few weeks, got up to 100mg a day while also on Vyvanse 30mg a day.
There were two problems that caused me to quit the Lamictal; 1) I became more tired. I have overwhelming problems with hypersomnia as it is. 2) more importantly, I started to "lose words" at 50mg, having a very hard time finding the word that I wanted to use. Friends and family also noticed this because I was not my lightning speed witty self anymore. At 100mg it became too unbearable even if it did help my depression. I would sound actually 'stupid' when talking! 'Hey, good... Uhm... Eh... Mo...rning!!'.

So I quit there and then against my doctors will. When I saw my doctor next she said; "so what? If it made you less suicidal it worked and is a good medication. It's as if you want to be depressed."

*bleep* her! I will never, ever compromise my mind for a shot at curing my depression.

InvitroCanibal
05-13-15, 11:29 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2011, along with depression a few months after. As for my depression, I seem to be more atypical in symptoms which is more correlated with bipolar. Along with that, my father is bipolar I.

With that said, I generally have ignored the possibility of being bipolar. I've tried all sorts of stimulant medications, and they all seemed to work for 4-6 and then rebound ADHD would seem to appear. However, it was much more intense, involved flight of ideas, irritability, and a general "agitated" state.

Prior to all medication, I can recall periods of my life where I could fit the criteria of being hypomanic, but never manic. Irritability, and flight of ideas seem to have been a staple of my moods, combined with months of atypical depression.

Over the past month I had flirted with the idea that I may in fact be bipolar II, and that the stimulants would trigger mixed episodes. With that working theory, I brought it up to my psychiatrist and we both felt comfortable trying out lamotrigine. As of this writing, I'm on 50mg of lamotrigine, and 30mg of vyvanse.

Currently, I don't experience any side effects from the lamotrigine. I'm keeping an eye out for any rashes, but mentally I do seem better.

Has anyone been on a combination of lamotrigine and a stimulant before? What were your results?

If anyone has any questions for me, and my current combination, feel free to ask. I will try to update this thread and keep the community involved in my progress.

Ya, lamottigine works well but its a balance. Typically bipolar co occurs with adhd so a duel med approach seems ncessary to some and dangerous to others.

Bipolar is really a case by case basis. If you're young than it woukd be classified as primordial bipolar as mine was.

Lamotrigine can slow down the development of bipolar but it can't stop it. That's a general summary of what I read.

I use lamotrigine as a monotherapy but the episodes are still there. The difference is that it feels less severe. Both the highs and lows. I'm not sure yet if I want to keep taking any more stabilizers. I've found in conjuction with lamotrigine propanalol helps my stability by reducing my stress.

Stress is one of the key triggers in bipolar. Almost all the bp meds reduce cortisol at the brain stem region.

Taking that into mind, you can use lamotrigine in conjunction with exercise and diet and see how it goes.

A lot of it is wait and see unfortunately

Good luck