View Full Version : Cymbalta and alcohol

noradd
01-13-15, 03:34 PM
I'm worried cause cymbalta can cause liver damages.
Does this mean you can't drink anything while on it?
That would suck cause I'm used to my pre-bed drink. :(

noradd
01-14-15, 06:50 PM
No one?

FocusPocus10
03-06-15, 06:14 PM
Don't drink on cymbalta. Just don't. Yes you will mess up your liver, that drug is toxic enough on its own! Combined you can feel it ruining your liver. Why are you on Cymbalta? It is the absolute worst SSRI/SNRI to mix with liquor. There are many safer alternatives - zoloft, lexapro, I'd go with zoloft if you can.

mosostow
03-07-15, 08:18 PM
My doc told me it's fine as long as it's in moderation. He said plenty of his patients continue to drink while on it and none of them have a problem.

That DOESN'T mean problems can't occur. The combination of alcohol and Cymbalta does put extra pressure on the liver and CAN cause damage... although while the odds are increased that doesn't mean they become astronomical. Don't have the exact stats though. Maybe check if there is a history of liver problems in your family.

But if you're talking about a drink or two before bedtime, it's highly unlikely you're going to run into trouble.

In the end you decide if you want to take the risk.

I continue to drink while on Cymbalta and I get my liver checked regularly for peace of mind, although people in my family have livers of steel. I'm more likely to get brain damage before getting problems there :)

Keep in mind though... I'm more of an occasional (once every month or two) drinker, and a few days after drinking I find that Cymbalta doesn't work as well, so take from that what you will.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, so check everything I've said with a GP or Psych.