View Full Version : Anyone have success switching child from Adderall XR to Concerta?

MrsMoMo
01-14-15, 10:32 AM
Today is my almost-8 year old's first day taking Concerta. He was dx with ADHD 2 years ago and has taken Adderall XR since he was diagnosed. It worked well to control the ADHD symptoms over the past 2 years but the side effects were recently becoming a problem (anxiety, irritability, emotionless at times, hyper-focusing, less sociable, bad mood for no reason). Not every day was like this but we were seeing these side effects more and more. We had also increased him from 10mg to 15mg last Spring and being only 45 lbs it may have been too much.

So now he has started on 18mg Concerta, which if I understand right, would be about roughly 10mg of Adderall which is fine with me as he's not a big kid.

I noticed the potential side effects listed are very similar to Adderall XR, which is not surprising since they are both stimulants, but I am hopeful that Concerta will bring out less anxiety than Adderall XR. If you have an experience to share, would love to hear from you. I'm nervous/scared but optimistic in changing my son's medication but know I'm doing this to find the best fit for him so that he can be happy and healthy.

peripatetic
08-08-15, 07:58 PM
So sorry to just now see your post. Likely it hasn't received any replies here, but might in the children's treatment section, so I'll move it there for you.

dvdnvwls
08-09-15, 01:26 AM
The problems you described with the Adderall sound like a simple case of the dosage being a bit too high, so I'm thinking "Why didn't they just reduce the Adderall a little?" - but most likely there were other factors to consider in this decision.

The two drugs, while both stimulants, work somewhat differently from each other. It will certainly not be just the same thing all over again. Just do your best to notice what's happening after the switch, both good and bad, so that you have good information to work with in future discussions.

ccom5100
08-12-15, 01:50 PM
Possible side effects are very similar with all the types of stimulant meds, especially those you mention. My ds could not take concerta because of those same side effects, but when we coupled it with the non-stimulant, guanfacine, the combination worked well and each med counteracted the negative side effects of the other.