View Full Version : Time release with absorption issues

jthubbard67
01-14-15, 03:28 PM
I don't know if anyone will be able to help with this but it's worth a shot to ask.

A couple years ago I had gastric bypass surgery which changed the way my body absorbs nutrients, minerals and vitamins. I've been on Ritalin for years which is prescribed by my primary. I haven't been to a psychologist since my initial diagnosis.

I'm now want to see if I can find something that works better for me and I would like to use time release. I'm not sure how it will work given my absorption issues though. If anyone has any similar experience or knowledge please share.

Thanks!

roflwaffle
01-21-15, 04:31 PM
As long as you can eat with the time release Ritalin I think you'll be OK. That might be harder now, but there's nothing else I've heard about that would interfere with absorption after gastric bypass.

I had a couple links but lost them with an old token. If you'd like I can post them later.

LMS2015
06-16-15, 05:34 PM
You can try Vyvanse. I also had gastric bypass (3 yrs ago in October) and recently was started on vyvanse. My Dr....who is a psych who specializes in Gastric bypass etc....said that vyvanse is supposed to last 8-12 hours and will not be effected by the bypass because of how it is absorbed. With that being said...vyvanse only lasts about 4-5 hours for me. However there are MANY people for whom it only lasts 4, 5, 6, 8 hours and they don't have RNY. SO....it may work 12 hours for you, it may not...but it might be worth a try =)

sarahsweets
06-17-15, 02:53 AM
Are you sure about this? Vyvanse begins to work after it reaches the gut. It is marketed as an abuse proof sort of stimulant because you cant snort it and it doesnt do the whole blood brain barrier thing. I also had RNY and with any time release med, I have had to take it as if it was an ir because of how fast I break them down. For example, when I was on adderall xr, I had to take it 3 times a day about every 4 hours because the ir would be gone in about 2 but the xr never lasted the 8 hours.

You can try Vyvanse. I also had gastric bypass (3 yrs ago in October) and recently was started on vyvanse. My Dr....who is a psych who specializes in Gastric bypass etc....said that vyvanse is supposed to last 8-12 hours and will not be effected by the bypass because of how it is absorbed. With that being said...vyvanse only lasts about 4-5 hours for me. However there are MANY people for whom it only lasts 4, 5, 6, 8 hours and they don't have RNY. SO....it may work 12 hours for you, it may not...but it might be worth a try =)

Sickle
07-02-15, 01:16 PM
There's Daytrana. I take 20 mg of Ritalin with the 30 mg/9 hour Daytrana but I leave the patch on for 15 hours so I can sleep before it wears off and initially, Daytrana isn't the best because it takes a couple hours to get a good level but this helps me the most.

LMS2015
07-05-15, 12:40 AM
Are you sure about this? Vyvanse begins to work after it reaches the gut. It is marketed as an abuse proof sort of stimulant because you cant snort it and it doesnt do the whole blood brain barrier thing. I also had RNY and with any time release med, I have had to take it as if it was an ir because of how fast I break them down. For example, when I was on adderall xr, I had to take it 3 times a day about every 4 hours because the ir would be gone in about 2 but the xr never lasted the 8 hours.

Nope I am not sure at all =) That is just what the Dr told me. He works with Gastric Bypass patients and I was referred to him BY the bypass clinic, so I just assumed he was more knowledgeable than most Dr's who really don't have a clue about malabsorbing medicine after RNY. I can't remember exactly what he said...but apparently the cleavage of the lysine happens in the blood stream or something like that and does NOT depend on the intestine to be absorbed or delivered correctly. AGAIN...that is what HE told me....I have no clue. Vyvanse 60mg only lasts me 3-4 hours now. Every other medicine I take goes through me like you said, in 2 hours. Dr's do not like giving out repeated doses all day long.They look at RNY patients like everyone else because they don't understand and when you try to explain they get a raised eyebrow like you are trying to be sneaky or get extra meds. It's highly annoying. I am still in the process of trying to figure out what will work for me. My Dr. thinks I have delayed sleep phase syndrome because of results of a sleep study I did 2 years ago and he says THAT is why the vyvanse is not working. To top it off I also apparently have Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue which was discovered last winter when they were running tests for something else. So I really have ZERO clue as to what the hell. I would just like medicine that works and that lasts the whole day....apparently I would have better luck wishing for a unicorn :(