View Full Version : Cervical Malalignment and the reality hologram.

Kunga Dorji
01-16-15, 01:49 AM
Apologies for the length of this one- but it is the best I can do at the moment.
I am starting to see a good explanation for the intertwined problems of ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, issues with 3 D orientation and also loss of sensory integration. What follows is partially speculative and partially ties in with known information from the disciplines of neurology and manual therapy.

However, if anyone can read it all, any observations would be welcome :)

Most of us navigate our way through the world believing that what we see really is “out there” and exists exactly as we perceive it.
This is far from the truth, and, in fact we have no way of knowing, for instance whether even something as basic as our perception of the colour red is in any way comparable to someone else's perception of the same red object.
We take this for granted, but the distinction between what is perceived and what exists becomes more obvious when we consider various insects who can see colours that are beyond the range of our visual apparatus.
In fact, regardless of whatever reality exists “out there” outside of our heads-- we actually know nothing of it.
All that any of us consciously knows is knows is the sum total of all the sensory data presented to our our conscious minds by our sensory apparatus, and integrated and structured into a meaningful whole by our brains. To complicate matters even further there is a process by which the overwhelming majority of sensory data are excluded from conscious awareness by a highly refined subcortical gating process, which occurs especially in the thalami. This process of selection of sensory data relevant to consciousness is termed “sensory integration”.
The neurology of hologrammatic model of consciousness is well understood in neuroscience and is the main subject of the book “Self Comes To Mind” by the neurologist Antonio Damasio. As a curious aside, the same model is clearly referenced in one of the core texts of Mahayana Buddhism- The Heart Sutra.
In this “Self Comes To Mind” Damasio outlines the fact that one of the most important aspects of brain function is the mapping and cross referencing of all the various sorts of sensory data that our brain perceives.
One of the key anatomical structures responsible for the collating and cross referencing of this sensory input is a pair of brainstem nuclei called the superior colliculi.
Ref “Self Comes to Mind” Antonio Damasio
p67: “The superior collicilus is an important provider of those visual maps, and even has the ability to relate those visual maps to auditory and body-based maps”.
Page 83 “The superior colliculus has 7 layers. Layers I -III are the “superficial” layers, while layers IV through VII are called “deep”. All the connections coming into and going out of the superficial layers have to do with vision, and layer II, the main superficial layer, recieves signals from the retina and from the primary visual cortex. These superficial layers assemble a retinotopic map of the contralateral visual field.
The deep layers of the superior colliculus contain, in addition to a map of the visual world, topographical maps of auditory and somatic information, the latter hailing from the spinal cord as well as the hypothalamus. The three varieties of maps- visual, auditory and somatic are in spatial register. This means that they are stacked in such a precise way that the information available for one map for, say vision, corresponds to another map related to hearing or body state. There is no other place in the brain where information available from vision, hearing and multiple aspects of body states is so literally superimposed, offering a prospect of efficient integration. The integration is made all the more significant by the fact that its results can gain access to the motor system (via nearby structures in the periaqueductal gray as well as via the cerebral cortex).
Damasio then goes on to discuss the action that occurs when a lizard flicks out its tongue and catches a passing fly- and the fact that most of the critical relaying and cross referencing of information (including information about the lizard's hydration and energy status) occurs in the superior colliculus.
Now this model works well if there is a stable one to one relationship between the information entering the brain and the actual source of the information.
The presence of an upper cervical malalignment introduces two difficult elements-
As an example let us assume a minor forwards rotation of the right atlas articular process on the right occipital condyle.
This introduces false information into the brain (effectively informing the affected individual that the right side of his body is pointing to the right and not straight forwards).
This can be demonstrated reasonably straightforwardly by performing a Fukuda test: Instead of being able to march up and down on the spot with eyes shut the individual will drift forwards and to the right. Equally, the affected individual will tend to drift to the right when walking or swimming and sit in the right hand side of the lane when driving. They will also tend to erroneously throw to the right of their target if they can be encouraged to try (many people with this injury will be sufficiently ashamed of their poor co-ordination to refuse even trying to throw a ball).
Now ordinarily our brains can adapt to a distortion in the input information and reconstruct an effective hologram-- providing that that distortion remains stable.
A good example of this adaptability of brain function can be seen in this video at about 4 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxa85kUxBDQ
(Being Human: Perception and the Brain)
However- in the case of the man throwing the ball at the screen, he has the advantage of being given an acute distortion of his perception (in terms of the prism lenses he was asked to wear and then remove) and he had the added advantage of being told what had been done to him. Given the advantage of being told he actually started correcting his function quite rapidly. It is notable that towards the end of the experiment the prism glasses are removed and the subject has to re-adapt his motor behaviour to cancel out the correction that his brain had started to factor in.
However- the unfortunate individual with an upper cervical malalignment must battle with an unidentified mismatch between body position and proprioceptive input- and associated muscle spasm as the body braces to protect the spinal cord.
This situation is bad enough if that individual acquires an atlas malalignment in later life, but should the injury occur at birth or in infancy the malalignment can impact upon the whole of neuromotor and perceptual development, resulting in the syndromes that the orthopedic surgeon Heiner Biedermannn calls KISS ( Kinematic Instability with Suboccipital Strain) in infants and KIDD (Kiss induced Dyspraxia and Dysgnosia) in schoolage children. KIDD is clinically indistinguishable from ADHD.
(Ref “Manual Therapy in Children” Ed Heiner Biedermann).
Individuals with an acquired rotatory malalignment of the upper cervical spine have their situation complicated by spasm and guarding of the upper cervical joints, resulting in a fixed hyperextension of the C0-1 joint, a tendency to a sitting posture with thoracic kyphosis and forward head posture
(the orthopedic and autonomic consequences of which will be discussed in another post). However, of direct relevance to the theme of this article, the persistent forward head posture vastly reduces mobility of the facet joints in the upper cervical spine. Proprioceptive input from these facet joints and related musculature is one of the major sources of the stimulus that drives the operation of consciousness. In particular the resting tension of the suboccipital musculature is especially important. Suboccipital spasm causes an inhibitory post synaptic output from the cerebellum- which is forwarded back to these muscles and forward to the contralateral frontal lobe. Thus individuals with a right atlanto-occipital malalignment will suffer chronic suppression of left frontal lobe activity and be more prone to being right hemisphere dominant in their function. In itself this is one of the major drivers of the dysregulated impulsive emotionality of the ADHD individual.
Again as an aside from the main theme, the relative immobility of the upper cervical facet joints leads (via reduced proprioceptive input) to a decrease in endorphin production, upregulating the individual's sensitivity to pain.
So it can be seen that upper cervical malalignments can directly lead to a series of serious consequences impacting upon perception, attention and motor output.
Firstly there is a subtle balance impairment. This balance impairment (in conjunction with motor impairment) can be seen in the subtle clumsiness of most ADHD individuals (who are very prone to bumping into solid objects like doorways and the corner of tables), though some individuals manage to master particular tasks, and can make very fine, though injury prone, athletes. Often though these individuals will retain subtle clumsiness inother domains of function. The balance impairment will also often show up in a fear of heights and in falling dreams. It can be demonstrated by testing for Romberg's sign, and by assessing heel toe gait with eyes open and closed. (The worse gait with eyes closed clearly illustrates an underfunctioning vestibulocerebellar system and over reliance on vision to navigate through the world). These problems represent a direct and severe drain on working memory- an acknowledged problem in ADHD.
Secondly, there are perceptual issues as well- such as difficulty with 3 dimensional orientation, and confusion between left and right. Dyslexia may well be an expression of this problem. Individuals with significant malalignment issues also have great difficulty in mirroring activity when being taught new movements. This can be seen very well in activities that require high attention to detail- such as Tai Chi. I would argue that the great capacity of us ADHD individuals to lose things is, in part related to these perceptual issues, as is our notably higher risk of car accidents.
I would argue that in the presence of upper cervical instability the individual is presented with an ever changing variability in the correspondence of body position, proprioceptive information reaching the brain stem, balance information from the vestibular apparatus and visual input. The problem is made more complex by the tendency of affected individuals to hold the head tilted, further increasing the complexity of processing required to maintain the coherent “reality hologram” required to act asa template for motor output.
In this context the issues of sensory integration seen in ADHD (and in other psych disorders) become more comprehensible. It is arguable that much of the intolerance of many ADHD individuals for noisy or chatoic environments or for certain tactile, taste or odour stimuli simply reflects the functioning of a system struggling to integrate mismatched sensory information.
At this point it may be worth reporting my personal experience with my unstable upper cervical spine. When the spine is out of alignment for any period of time, I will develop a cluster of predictable symptoms- a predictable pattern of right sided muscular spasm and body pain, dysarthria, difficulty in challenging motor tasks such as reverse parking my car, and blurred vision in the right eye. I also will rapidly develop sensory integration issues- such as intolerance of noisy environments or tight fitting clothing.The blurred vision is particularly interesting, as with ongoing meditation practice I have developed the capacity to see directly that what I am seeing is a distortion of visual input- such that upright objects in my right visual field appear distorted – with their upper parts pushed to the right. This distortion is reversible in real time if I loosen, unlock and straighten my upper cervical spine, which I can now usually manage without the assistance of a manual therapist, thanks to my Qi Gong / Tai Chi training.
[The issue of reporting personal experience in a blog that aims to focus on scientifically verifiable data is a thorny one- but I hope that the readers will forgive me putting this observation “out there” in the hope that someone can point me in the direction of some already completed scientific research data on this subject. However, the intermittent dysarthria has been verified by my own physician].
The improvement in perceptuo-motor function following adjustment to the upper cervical spine is clearly demonstrated in Heiner Biedermann's book Manual Therapy in Children on page 170, which illustrates improvement in drawing ability in a 6 year old child over a 5 week period following a single adjustment to the upper cervical spine.
I note also recent work in which the issue of unstable gaze in ADHD (usually improved by stimulants) is discussed and proposed as a part of a diagnostic work up for ADHD.
ref: ADHD subjects fail to suppress eye blinks and microsaccades while anticipating visual stimuli but recover with medication
Moshe Fried a, Eteri Tsitsiashvili a, Yoram S. Bonneh b, Anna Sterkin a, Tamara Wygnanski-Jaffe c,d, Tamir Epstein e, Uri Polat a,⇑
Vision Research (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00426989)
Volume 101 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00426989/101/supp/C), August 2014, Pages 62–72
This phenomenon would certainly be at least partially explicable in the light of the issue of mismatching information being fed into the superior colliculi- which play a major role in regulating eye movement.
A further clinical observation relevant to the improvement in function on stimulants may be the simple one that individuals on stimulants and quietly engaged in an interesting task tend to hold a more upright posture- and so would tend to have unstable joints settle into place and reduce the mismatch of information entering the brainstem. Again, this is speculative, but it may well provide a further mechanism for the function of these medications.
Finally, I would note that where present, such cervical malalignments would also provide a very clar cut explanation for the dyspraxia/ Developmental Coordination Delay seen in about ½ of all ADHD individuals, and the lesser degrees of problems with co-ordination seen ain many others.

mildadhd
02-04-15, 11:57 PM
Integrating!

Learning lots, thanks.

I am a great catcher, can catch almost everything, but any accuracy in my throw to second base has always been very very unpredictable. :)

I need to reread everything again, thoughts appreciated.

Looking further into what goes on in the brain- stem, and in particular, the mid-brain, we see that the functions of this area include eye movements, responses to sight, hearing, attention, and body movements.

Within the mid-brain, a module called the tectum controls auditory and visual responses.

The tectum consists of the superior colliculi (visual receptors) and inferior colliculi (auditory receptors).

The tectum is a multi-layered structure, with the su- perficial layers being sensory-related, receiving in- put from the eyes and other sensory systems.

The deeper layers are motor-related, capable of activat- ing eye movements, amongst other responses.

Inside EMDR (http://www.drjamesalexander-psychologist.com/EMDR-Alexander%281%29-1.pdf)

P

Kunga Dorji
02-05-15, 07:05 AM
Integrating!

Learning lots, thanks.

I am a great catcher, can catch almost everything, but any accuracy in my throw to second base has always been very very unpredictable. :)

I need to reread everything again, thoughts appreciated.

P

Nice to see a taker" at last.

It is very hard to distinguish "attention" and "orientation".
Our attention system is biassed to drawing our attention towards that which is relevant to our survival.

However, in the West, we have forgotten that we have bodies, and that those bodies know how to take care of themselves.

We often see extraordinary aggression presented as normal behaviour (for example, consider any movie showing the way that military recruits are deliberately and repeatedly traumatised in their training in order to make them malleable. This is regarded as healthy behaviour and even honourable in our world.

Stephen Porges is very lucid here:
see "Somatic Perspectives in Psychotherapy"

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Understanding the prerequisites for feeling safe is a critical issue in the modern world. Our culture takes a paradoxical perspective in defining safety. We focus on words and cognitive representations and minimise bodily responses and feelings to define safety.

http://stephenporges.com/index.php/scientific-articles/publicationss/28-somatic-perspectives-on-psychotherapy-interview

Now this can play out in an interesting way if our "reality hologram" is distorted.

As you probably know I have an intermittent chronic pain problem related to the damage done to my spine as a result of years of crooked posture.

It is only in the last month that I have finally been able to deeply perceive that way this impacts on me personally:
If I enter an enclosed space (like a cheap Asian grocery store) when my neck is out of line- my whole spine tenses up.

This is not anxiety, just pain.
It is a great nuisance really as I have to do "hit and tun shopping" in these shops to get what I need before the pain issue becomes intolerable. Mentally I am calm. I don't feel scared or enclosed- but the pain is not something I choose to endure.

A close inspection of the problem throws up the following hypothesis-- my basic orientation system is unsure as to my precise location in space- so one part of my subconscious probably perceives my body as overlapping with the shelving!

However, this only happens when my system is already unstable.

Now the extension of this is directly applicable to ADHD- while the problem is going, I feel restless and irritable, and I have little patience with companions who wish to extend the shopping expedition.(Hyperactivity/Impulsivity anyone?- my intolerance of shopping hardly endeared me to my former wife- so it was clearly disabling- few things are more traumatising and disabling than a divorce).

Even more interesting- when the problem is settled and I am recovering, I am franky exhausted and quite dull and inattentive. All from derangements of my (subconscious) personal awareness of my spatial co-ordinates.

This really is rather seriously interesting.

SB_UK
02-05-15, 12:32 PM
I'm finding it hard to 'map' words ie all words appear to mean something dependent on what it is that is that is meant - that is - that words are carrying with them so much ambiguity that any given sentence requires a page of footnotes to make it make sense.

That's intended to be a take on this "All from derangements of my (subconscious) personal awareness of my spatial co-ordinates."

It's a bit like somebody telling you where they are with words - and one (me) not being able to position them on your map of where people can be.

Kunga Dorji
02-05-15, 11:58 PM
I'm finding it hard to 'map' words ie all words appear to mean something dependent on what it is that is that is meant - that is - that words are carrying with them so much ambiguity that any given sentence requires a page of footnotes to make it make sense.

That's intended to be a take on this "All from derangements of my (subconscious) personal awareness of my spatial co-ordinates."

It's a bit like somebody telling you where they are with words - and one (me) not being able to position them on your map of where people can be.

That may be an advantage to the Chinese system of ideograms- they are more open and less restrictive in meaning.

However, I am finding that using an informal mind mapping approach to ideas is helping me absorb and understand material better. This is working much better since I have been getting better spatial awarenesss and co-ordination through the Tai Chi.

SB_UK
02-07-15, 10:15 AM
Don't you ever wonder whether if we just about lived with enough basic real food (cf Unmanagable) (scientifically proven benefits to fasting/caloric restriction), natural crouching childbirth (cf KD -> no cervical vetebral deformation), no work other than to collect food (cf Peripheral -> proper child - parent interaction) ie if we had a modern 'primal' lifestyle - barefoot running/walking, no prescription medications etc etc - that we'd be better off ?

I'm struggling to think of 1 human innovation which currently has proven worthwhile.

Maybe something positive will come of the internet as a mobile entertainment device which'll serve to keep us together as a species.

Wars !! What complete silliness.

Little Missy
02-07-15, 11:09 PM
well, toilet paper is pretty nice to use.

mildadhd
02-08-15, 12:24 PM
"..In the early months, the most important communications between mother and infant are unconscious ones.

Incapable of deciphering the meaning of words, the infant receives messages that are purely emotional.

They are conveyed by the mother's gaze, her tone of voice and her body language, all of which reflect her unconscious internal emotional environment.

Anything that threatens the mother's emotional security may disrupt the developing electrical wiring and chemical supplies of the infant brain's emotion-regulating and attention-allocating systems.."

-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", P 70

Promoting eustress (homeostasis) for hypersensitive mammalian families. :)

P

mildadhd
02-08-15, 12:54 PM
Incapable of deciphering the meaning of words, the infant receives messages that are purely emotional.

-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", P 70

Example, laughter is a positive feeling preverbal form of mammalian emotional communication.

P

mildadhd
02-08-15, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OriFlkeTqbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYwTmaUQmoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v525UGbA448

mildadhd
02-09-15, 03:08 AM
This is a great link.

Deeper layers of colliculi:
●Constitute a basic motor system of the body
●Interact with visual, auditory, vestibular, somatosensory systems
●Interact with nearby PAG

PAG:
●Elaborates a visceral-type map of the body
●Elaborates all basic emotional systems except PLAY
●Elaborates pain

https://amirttl.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jaak_panksepp1.ppt

Kunga Dorji
02-10-15, 04:58 AM

Total tangent but-- better to use than not to use :)

mildadhd
02-10-15, 10:06 AM
Total tangent but-- better to use than not to use :)

Bottom up perspective?

P

SB_UK
02-11-15, 06:26 AM

That pretty much sums up human innovation.

I wonder how human beings survived without it ?
Or maybe we didn't and toilet paper was the single human discovery which made 10 billion grasping cosnumerists on the planet each eager to eat their neighbour's head possible.

SB_UK
02-11-15, 06:39 AM
One culture today still doesn’t want anything to do with toilet paper; it’s widely known that many in India (except for Westerners who visit) use the left-hand-and-bucket-of-water method. Most actually argue that using water is cleaner than using tissue paper (http://www.roadjunky.com/article/1768/the-left-hand-toilet-technique-and-spitting-world-hygiene), and consider using anything but water to be filthy.So India would present the idea that nothing that human beings have made is of any worth.

I'm afraid that I'd have to agree with them - personally I don't have anything that's not in the process of breaking. Human beings have introduced nothing but waste onto planet Earth.

SB_UK
02-11-15, 06:41 AM
Bottom up perspective?

P

Best bottom up
+
top down

if you want to be absolutely sure.

mildadhd
02-11-15, 09:55 AM
Best bottom up
+
top down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzyYhznZhM

mildadhd
02-11-15, 10:54 PM
Why does the urge to go to bathroom become more, as I get closer to home?

How does my body know I am a about block and a half away?

P

mildadhd
02-11-15, 11:21 PM

Panksepp's capitalization of 7 primary affects has helped me clarify the difference between preverbal and verbal tremendously.

To make a long story short.

I feel and think if everyone adopted Panksepp's idea of capitalizing the 7 preverbal primary emotional response systems SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, LUST, CARE, GRIEF/PANIC, PLAY, into their psychological vocabulary, the world would become much more balanced.

P

Emotion and language
Some reasons why human words lie to us about our inner world:
●Language emerged evolutionally as an especially effective way for encoding the relationships among external, not internal (so, not emotional) events
●One can verbalize only conscious content
●Transcription of experience into verbal symbols distort reality
●Our two hemispheres have different emotional and cognitive perspectives, and left hemisphere (that speaks to others) may be more adept in lying and less emotional

https://amirttl.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jaak_panksepp1.ppt

Kunga Dorji
02-12-15, 03:44 AM
Best bottom up
+
top down

Totally agree.
Mindfulness can be understood at one level as becoming aware of the symptoms (physical sensations) of bottom up stimuli and learning to respond to them by letting them pass rather than by reacting to them.
That is a top down strategy.

There is a degree of "bottom up too"- in adopting formal sitting posture one adopts a posture in which there is minimal input of posturally driven "bottom up signals"-- effectively one adopts, in Reichian terms, the body armour of an awakened person.

QiGong is more complex- as the exercises in themselves deactivate bottom up signals through the deliberate mobilisation of the body. However, the referent remains the awareness of a calm and clear mind. That is the same experience as the ADHD person gets from stimulants on a good day.

QiGong also helps alignment issues and this does help us operate ina more stable and predictable hologram. It effectively helps us eliminate some of the stressors caused by perceptual distortions.

mildadhd
02-14-15, 12:59 AM
I know very little and need to study more about the cervical malalignment parts of this thread discussion.

The link below reminded me of part of the hologram part of this discussion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lR7s1Y6Zig

mildadhd
02-14-15, 10:30 PM
Mindfulness can be understood at one level as becoming aware of the symptoms (physical sensations) of bottom up stimuli and learning to respond to them by letting them pass rather than by reacting to them.
That is a top down strategy.

(Please leave room for layman error)

I agree in awareness top down MindBrain neocortical tertiary level of control treatment strategies and that top down processes strengthen the bottom up subcortical areas, as the BrainMind/MindBrain becomes more mature.

I am equally interested in the psychology involved beginning from the bottom up primary process levels of control (emotional, homeostatic and sensory affects) when BrainMind affective consciousness is bigger than MindBrain cognitive consciousness in early childhood.

I have made a layman link between movement and the evolution of the primary emotional response systems.

But I never made the layman link between posture/not moving and possibly diminishing overactive affects.

Understanding all the topics in this thread is a life time of work, but that doesn't matter to me, because it is all so interesting.

Thanks for the introduction to all these thread topics.

P

mildadhd
02-15-15, 02:43 PM
Paraphrasing a part in a documentary on the show Passionate Eye.

Vision is naturally blurry in early infancy, infants first range of visual focus, is about the distance from a mother's breast to the mother's eyes.

P