View Full Version : antisocial PD vs psycopath

daveddd
01-16-15, 12:33 PM
a good explanation of the huge difference

a continuation of a conversation Fortune and I had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsTjWqhaO0

Fortune
01-16-15, 12:57 PM
That's Sam Vaknin, a diagnosed psychopath who for some reason wants to turn NPD into psychopathy. Or perhaps make psychopathy seem like NPD.

So like, his information is not automatically wrong, but be aware of the source.

daveddd
01-16-15, 01:04 PM
That's Sam Vaknin, a diagnosed psychopath who for some reason wants to turn NPD into psychopathy. Or perhaps make psychopathy seem like NPD.

So like, his information is not automatically wrong, but be aware of the source.

i know

his sources and information is always accurate though

i think there is a narcissistic psychopath

as opposed to the more common dissociative or vulnerable narcissist

Flory
01-24-15, 05:45 PM
Have you seen the documentary about him ? I think it was with an Australian film crew. It was interesting to see how his behaviour impacted upon them and the process of the documentary.

dvdnvwls
01-24-15, 07:55 PM
I'm never sure, listening to his comments etc, whether he has a peculiar and potentially useful level of insight and intelligence about his situation - or if he's just trying to make himself sound good and look good.

Pilgrim
01-24-15, 08:27 PM
I'm never sure, listening to his comments etc, whether he has a peculiar and potentially useful level of insight and intelligence about his situation - or if he's just trying to make himself sound good and look good.

I think he's being quite honest. But he likes talking about himself.
I find this quite fascinating.

Fortune
01-24-15, 08:55 PM
Have you seen the documentary about him ? I think it was with an Australian film crew. It was interesting to see how his behaviour impacted upon them and the process of the documentary.

I've seen it. I think it was called "I, Psychopath."?

BellaVita
01-24-15, 09:36 PM
I found his videos long ago. He describes my mother quite well in them.

@ dvd - I find his info to be good and accurate. However, I am no expert.

daveddd
01-26-15, 06:09 PM

i would consider myself fairly familiar with most models of personality disorders
(kohut, kern berg, linehan, hare, millon,masterson), I've never read or watched anything by vaknin that is not consistent with those basics

Maurice
01-26-15, 09:08 PM
i know

his sources and information is always accurate though

i think there is a narcissistic psychopath

as opposed to the more common dissociative or vulnerable narcissist

All psychopaths are narcissistic.

Maurice
01-26-15, 09:09 PM

My guess would be the latter.

BellaVita
01-26-15, 09:10 PM
Speaking of which....the reasons in his videos are the reasons I would rather stay with my Dad than my Mom. (Back when I still lived with him)

My Dad would scream and yell at me, throw things at me, sometimes hit me, but it was easier to deal with that than someone who manipulated me emotionally at a deep level.

My mom was an expert manipulator.

My Dad would abuse me for like 15 mins then forget about it, but my Mom would create this huge mess and put herself as the victim when *she* was the one at fault.

Oh, and she wasn't actually sad or anything when she cried. It was all acting. (She used to be a professional actress - Star Trek etc..) I would call her on it sometimes but that just made things worse.

It would really scare me how I couldn't predict her.

Fortune
01-27-15, 05:36 AM
i would consider myself fairly familiar with most models of personality disorders
(kohut, kern berg, linehan, hare, millon,masterson), I've never read or watched anything by vaknin that is not consistent with those basics

Really? Because at least some professionals I've come across have little good to say about what he's doing.

This guy is a psychopath, and has pretty much said everything he says and does is to get particular reactions. Take everything he says with a grain of salt, and if what he says sounds consistent with existing work there's a good chance that either you're missing something or he's telling just enough of the truth to be dangerous.

This is part one of the documentary about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvhKI6Kxew

daveddd
01-27-15, 07:32 AM
All psychopaths are narcissistic.

yea

but not all narcissists are psychopaths

daveddd
01-27-15, 07:41 AM
Really? Because at least some professionals I've come across have little good to say about what he's doing.

This guy is a psychopath, and has pretty much said everything he says and does is to get particular reactions. Take everything he says with a grain of salt, and if what he says sounds consistent with existing work there's a good chance that either you're missing something or he's telling just enough of the truth to be dangerous.

This is part one of the documentary about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvhKI6Kxew

interesting

honestly , I'm not really sure what you mean

I'm simply saying when he gives definitions of current things, they are accurate with proper sources

Fortune
01-27-15, 08:04 AM
What I mean is that when he talks about "malignant narcissists" he actually means psychopathy, and that he is consistently producing information that, if taken at face value, is to the detriment of understanding both NPD and psychopathy.

It is not difficult to find discussion of this and criticism of his work on the net. If you believe him wholeheartedly, you've been conned.

Little Missy
01-27-15, 08:04 AM
I tried to watch and listen to that video but I was so instantly repulsed and frightened by that man I had to turn it off in less than a minute.

Fortune
01-27-15, 08:05 AM
He gets worse throughout the documentary.

daveddd
01-27-15, 08:21 AM
What I mean is that when he talks about "malignant narcissists" he actually means psychopathy, and that he is consistently producing information that, if taken at face value, is to the detriment of understanding both NPD and psychopathy.

It is not difficult to find discussion of this and criticism of his work on the net. If you believe him wholeheartedly, you've been conned.

the video was about aspd vs psychopath

the narcissistic psychopath is pretty much excepted

daveddd
01-27-15, 08:37 AM
BTW, I'm no vaknin pusher, the video was just somewhere i was and it is accurate

and i don't really care much about opinions of people if they are using accurate sources

there is a lot of criticism of him on the internet, but oddly its mostly low level forum psycologists, i haven't seen any from anyone with a reputation in PD research