View Full Version : Adderall relieves my social anxiety??

BoyzX2
01-16-15, 06:59 PM
I am new to Adderall - this is day 7. Last year I tried Concerta (first time ever on meds) and 1 week in I had super anxiety and racing heart. It took me a whole year to come around to the idea of trying meds again.

Adderall has been wonderful - seems to be a really good fit. Can't believe how pervasive the ADHD has been in my daily activities...

Question 1: I am experiencing relief from some mild social anxiety and also from some little phobias I have. I had no idea that the meds would help in those areas and I am pleasantly surprised. But is this normal!?

Question 2: My IR tablets are not lasting as long as they were the first few days. Eventually does the tolerance top off? In other words, if I find the right dosage should I be able to stay on it with good effect for years on end or will I inevitably always need an increasingly larger dose to keep up with tolerance?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Lee Anne

Pilgrim
01-16-15, 07:29 PM
I think you have the right drug. To feel more confident like this is quite normal.
In the future you will experience tolerance. A better way to put it is that your body is not as sensitive to it.
Upping the dosage is not the answer. Sometimes you need to just stay on a certain dose.
If you have any euphoric feelings these will subside.
You are looking for symptom relief.

Raye
01-18-15, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I agree with Pilgrim, it sounds
like the right med for you.

personally, before stimulant meds
I've been a real introvert my entire
life. but with adderall I find myself in
a better mood because I feel
a lot better. so its a lot easier for
me now to talk to people and
hold conversations.

I believe when you feel decent inside, it shows
on the outside.

If your dosage seems to be wearing off too
quickly,I would talk with your prescribing
physician. because IMO stimulant duration
is different for different people.

The right dosage for you will only control
symptoms, and IMO should keep u feeling
normal.

The tolerance issue is something to
discuss with your doc.

daveddd
01-18-15, 10:42 AM
yes its normal to help social anxiety and phobias, they are based on emotional regulation

adrenal helps with emotion regulation

daveddd
01-18-15, 11:35 AM
stupid auto correct adrenal=adderal

BoyzX2
01-19-15, 07:29 PM
Okay - thanks! the emotional regulation seems to be the key. I'm just not overacting to things as much. Usually I have an over the top fear of driving in bad weather - the roads were icy yesterday and I was completely calm. My husband is sooooo grateful.

Today was a bit rougher - not sure if it was just a difficult day with two kids at home(one of course who has ADHD!) - OR I am really developing a tolerance quickly. Seemed like my last dose only helped for about 3 and a half hours today. Sort of bummed and sad about it.

Taking 5mg twice a day and it is just not cutting it. Started waiting till 10am to take the first dose so I can get through dinnertime. Think I need 5mg at least 3xs a day or a higher dose.

Pilgrim
01-19-15, 07:53 PM
My 2 cents. Look at your diet. I eat as many vegetables as I can. Also at least 300 grams of lean protein.
Exercise and little to no caffeine.
Preservatives and additives eliminate as much as you can.

If you want tremendous performance eat well. And meditate if you can.

sarahsweets
01-20-15, 05:12 AM
Even though adderall is not meant to treat mood disorders or bipolar I find that it does help me with bipolar and adhd.

unholycow
01-28-15, 05:41 PM
I found that for the first 2-3 weeks of taking adderall, my social anxiety was gone. For the first 2-3 months, it was lessened. Now it's back to normal. But I'm still better at getting things done than I was before taking adderall. Enjoy a brief holiday from social anxiety, but don't count on it lasting.