View Full Version : Works better after eating proten bAr?

clayboy_123
01-16-15, 11:59 PM
Has anyone else had this experience? Medicine seems to work more consistently and longer when taken after eating a protein bar as opposed to a large meal or even on empty stomach ?

sarahsweets
01-20-15, 05:22 AM
I know this is true for vyvanse but I didn't know it was true for dexedrine.

InvitroCanibal
01-26-15, 11:23 PM
Ya, that makes sense.

To answer your question, here is the short version:

Eating food with your ir will extend the time to tmax by about 2 hours and reduce the sharp peak and drop. The plateau curve, when taken with food is almost the same as vyvanse fyi and it allows your residual blood plasma levels to equate to efficacy just as it should be.

The long version:

Doctors do not tell you this, but it is on the sheet you received with your meds. Basically it says that eating did not seem to correlate with efficacy...however it did increase the time it took to reach Tmax.

The reason that they said it did not change efficacy was because for a long time they were trying attribute blood plasma levels to efficacy. Therefore, eating did not change the elimination time but lengthened the time it took to reach t max.

We now know that Tmax is directly related to the meds duration.

Without food on average it takes 2 hours to reach T max, after tmax the med dips out of your system at around 25 percent every 4 hours.

However the reason why tmax is so critical is that after the system has been primed to a certain threshhold, it desensitizes to the med after tmax.

So the way to control a meds efficacy is to plateau the peak.

Vyvanse was supposed to be this solution as it was supposed to stay at a plateau, there by not having a peak and drop like instant release meds. However some doctors prescribe it like an instant release which is a no-no in terms of tolerance and doe.

It is why vyvanse is an instant release med just like any other except that it has a rate limited tmax.

This is also why eating food with vyvanse will improve the duration but not the efficacy.

I bring up vyvanse only because it is an example of a med that is instant release like all the others except it has a tmax that is extended by 2 hours.

Taking the dex ir with food will also extend its tmax by 2 hours.

In this way, less becomes more

j_dubs
02-18-15, 12:04 AM
Ya, that makes sense.

To answer your question, here is the short version:

Eating food with your ir will extend the time to tmax by about 2 hours and reduce the sharp peak and drop. The plateau curve, when taken with food is almost the same as vyvanse fyi and it allows your residual blood plasma levels to equate to efficacy just as it should be.

The long version:

Doctors do not tell you this, but it is on the sheet you received with your meds. Basically it says that eating did not seem to correlate with efficacy...however it did increase the time it took to reach Tmax.

The reason that they said it did not change efficacy was because for a long time they were trying attribute blood plasma levels to efficacy. Therefore, eating did not change the elimination time but lengthened the time it took to reach t max.

We now know that Tmax is directly related to the meds duration.

Without food on average it takes 2 hours to reach T max, after tmax the med dips out of your system at around 25 percent every 4 hours.

However the reason why tmax is so critical is that after the system has been primed to a certain threshhold, it desensitizes to the med after tmax.

So the way to control a meds efficacy is to plateau the peak.

Vyvanse was supposed to be this solution as it was supposed to stay at a plateau, there by not having a peak and drop like instant release meds. However some doctors prescribe it like an instant release which is a no-no in terms of tolerance and doe.

It is why vyvanse is an instant release med just like any other except that it has a rate limited tmax.

This is also why eating food with vyvanse will improve the duration but not the efficacy.

I bring up vyvanse only because it is an example of a med that is instant release like all the others except it has a tmax that is extended by 2 hours.

Taking the dex ir with food will also extend its tmax by 2 hours.

In this way, less becomes more

Thanks for this. Interesting. Sometimes I feel like eating when I take a dose messes with absorption in the stomach, but I try to sublingual (which is quite nasty especially these Mallinckrodt's) and sometimes I feel like if I eat during the day on it it can make me a bit yawny. But that might just be it wearing off. I started working a new job which is very physically active and I've been taking less and less dex per day and getting by. Sort of interesting, the natural endorphins and stuff make me feel great.

One more thing you might be able to answer, I have read oral is the best ROA, but what's an easier way to sublingual or get the most other than antacids? I have tried famotidine and baking soda, and the baking soda especially makes the side effects more pronounced. Don't do that anymore haha! But in general, I'm happy with the Mally's, super clean, and the Wilshire 10mg generic is nice to (Has a bit of that l-amp feel tho!) Would try core but can't find it.

And also, Vyvanse always felt real different than adderall or dextro IR...never had dex ER.../endrant

sarahsweets
02-18-15, 05:41 AM
Anytime I hear about someone potentiating or taking their med in a way not as prescribed I get a little wary. Did your doc tell you to take it under your tongue like that?

Thanks for this. Interesting. Sometimes I feel like eating when I take a dose messes with absorption in the stomach, but I try to sublingual (which is quite nasty especially these Mallinckrodt's) and sometimes I feel like if I eat during the day on it it can make me a bit yawny. But that might just be it wearing off. I started working a new job which is very physically active and I've been taking less and less dex per day and getting by. Sort of interesting, the natural endorphins and stuff make me feel great.

One more thing you might be able to answer, I have read oral is the best ROA, but what's an easier way to sublingual or get the most other than antacids? I have tried famotidine and baking soda, and the baking soda especially makes the side effects more pronounced. Don't do that anymore haha! But in general, I'm happy with the Mally's, super clean, and the Wilshire 10mg generic is nice to (Has a bit of that l-amp feel tho!) Would try core but can't find it.

And also, Vyvanse always felt real different than adderall or dextro IR...never had dex ER.../endrant

j_dubs
02-24-15, 09:34 PM
Anytime I hear about someone potentiating or taking their med in a way not as prescribed I get a little wary. Did your doc tell you to take it under your tongue like that?

It says take 2 tablets by mouth twice a day 6 hours apart, so.....

newbowery
10-27-15, 02:46 PM

I used to feel the same way but after having navigated the complications related to supply shortages I am more symphetic to a patients desire to maximise the efficiency of their dosage.

i don't think it's unreasonable or necessarly abusive to try to get as much beneffit as is possible from what is perscribed by ones MD in the interest of conserving one's meds when there is a chance your next RX might be problematic to fill.

recreational use / abuse of the drug is an entirely different situation and i am not condoning any drug use in that context.