View Full Version : Failure again and again

hatsuu
01-23-15, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone !

Once again I failed at exams, whereas I thought I had made quite a good work... I feel that it's unfair, and that university does NOT teach us correctly.
My feeling is that it's so restrictive, we have to follow methodologics rules which sometime makes no sense. And as I am really trying to follow those rules I am losing time I could spend learning things. But even learning is such a crazy things, I can't manage to see what's important and what's not, therefore, what should I memorize?

Now, I've had a 5/20 and a 8/20, I'm kind of depressed. Even if I manage to have good marks in other courses which are more "practical".
I'm afraid I will never ever ever make it to the end, and so I won't find a job I'll like, and wow... I just felt the urge to tell it, and to speak with some people who could eventually understand what it's all about.

dvdnvwls
01-23-15, 06:12 PM
I've had similar problems in certain courses, and the bad ones all had one thing in common: "Just listen to the teacher and read the book; don't think too much and don't ever ask 'Why'." Every course that was based on this type of attitude, I got poor grades. In other courses, I was much more successful.

VeryTired
01-23-15, 08:43 PM
Hatsuu--

Sympathy to you. I see that you live in France, and my impression is that the education system there is one that could easily be less than friendly to people with ADHD. So, is there any possibility you could do your studies in another country? Many American universities, for instance, emphasize more flexible and creative approaches to education than the more traditional and hierarchical ones typical of French universities. Just an idea ...

Little Missy
01-24-15, 01:32 AM
American universities LOVE to have foreign students and they give full ride scholarships easily to them. In particular, they really love to have any foreign student with any type of learning disability or otherwise. Honest. Pick a state and have a go.

hatsuu
01-24-15, 08:49 AM
Hey, thank's a lot for your answers.
I began my studies in Belgium, where it's really easiest to be creative and original. But for now I must stay in France, for some personnal reason (sorry can't tell more about it).
YES the problem is exactly that we must follow some stupid method and we shall never ever ask why. And it's absolutely not interesting to teach student a job.

What really annoys me is that I always manage my way in my professionnal experiences, I mean that I have no problem if I am "on the field". But to have the job that I want, I must finish my studies, or I won't go anywhere... I just HATE this system.

Actually, what I'm really searching is to find a way of not being discouraged by those bad marks. Because they make me feel lame.
Again, thank's a lot for what you all said. And sorry if my english isn't correct.

stef
01-24-15, 09:13 AM
Hatsuu--

Sympathy to you. I see that you live in France, and my impression is that the education system there is one that could easily be less than friendly to people with ADHD. So, is there any possibility you could do your studies in another country? Many American universities, for instance, emphasize more flexible and creative approaches to education than the more traditional and hierarchical ones typical of French universities. Just an idea ...

You are 100% right! the system here is very restrictive, and not encouraging. My son had problems adjusting to a new middle school after moving , at a parent teacher conference i was told rather nastily that his grades were " irregular". not, well he seems to be struggling, we understand, how can we solve this cause we see he's a bright kid from his transcripts last year?" they killed any spark of intellectual curiosity at a difficult age. well he is in Master 1 LEA now ( post grad translation diplolma ) but it took him along time to get there.

hatsuu
01-25-15, 08:06 AM
Well, congrats to your son !! He must be proud of himself.

By the way, how does the american university offers better chances to ADHDer? I wonder what is different. Is this the type of exam? Here we must write essays, every time the subject is just to write an essay. Whereas in Belgium we had mostly questions.
Or maybe it's the way exam are corrected, I don't know.

Stef, you're french then? How did you son manage to pass his exams, and not be discouraged?

stef
01-25-15, 08:23 AM
No, I' American but I've been in France for ages!
My son was terribly discouraged at times, he squeaked by through doing very well in what he likes and is good at.
no trouble focusing ( not ADHD), just little motivation at times. and he lost some credits when he was in germany ( erasmus) and then had to redo a " stage" , he was never informed that his report hadn..t passed. complicated!

American university is probably easier for ADD, exams vary according to the professors and type of class. Some teachers will count lots of small exams and essays over the semester in the final grade, so the actual final exam may not be as crucial.

Little Missy
01-25-15, 09:51 AM
In the U.S. colleges and universities have a program called Services for Academic Success. It provides tutors, testing separate from the class and lots and lots of other stuff. SAS only needs a doctors note for the LD or ADD or whatever may be the disability.

SAS LOVES foreign students and makes special recruitments to get them on campuses.

hatsuu
02-06-15, 01:13 PM
Hello again !

In order to end this discussion, i'd like to inform you that it was only one bad grade and now that the university gave us the results I get a 13,56/20 which is pretty great.
The only point is that I have some bad marks and some really good one, therefore my teachers wrote that I must be more regular in my work... Well... I will try.

Thank's again for all your message, it helped a lot knowing that there are people who care !!

Fuzzy12
02-06-15, 01:47 PM
But even learning is such a crazy things, I can't manage to see what's important and what's not, therefore, what should I memorize?

I know you said end of discussion but I just wanted to add one little thing about what you said above though I'm not sure how relevant or applicable it is to French universities.

If you are not sure what's important or what you need to know, maybe you could ask your lecturers though I get the impression from your posts that they aren't the most cooperative. I usually tell my students or am happy to answer questions about what they are expected to know, what they are expected to understand (but don't have to memorise) or what is just a bit of interesting information I shared with them but they won't be tested on.

stef
02-06-15, 03:35 PM
Felicitations!!!

burger
02-06-15, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone !

Once again I failed at exams, whereas I thought I had made quite a good work... I feel that it's unfair, and that university does NOT teach us correctly.
My feeling is that it's so restrictive, we have to follow methodologics rules which sometime makes no sense. And as I am really trying to follow those rules I am losing time I could spend learning things. But even learning is such a crazy things, I can't manage to see what's important and what's not, therefore, what should I memorize?

Universities don't really teach it's more of a learn yourself setting. They are much different than high school where teachers actually teach and guide you. There's also way more to remember in University and they expect you to see abstract ideas from reading, etc... Basically memorize every thing (or at least the parts on the exam) and --->>understand it<<---. Exams are designed to fall within a certain grade range (probably 70-75% average) so they can be difficult. Try to do well on mid terms and stuff to boost your grades because finals are usually harder. If you aren't on medication maybe look into it since add problems can decrease your memory and ability to learn. It takes way longer and it's much more difficult for an add person to learn.

Delboy31
02-06-15, 08:34 PM
As an assoc. prof. I would say that you need to find methods of learning that work for you. Your teachers may say nothing, but there again, I am ADHD.

I have stated in other posts that I made my way through university and grad. schools by using paths that most would find ridiculous. However, I didn't know at the time that I was ADHD, felt that I was stupid, and found ways to pass, all the while feeling like a fraud. It wasn't until recently that I gave myself a little credit (with the help of my therapist).

Sometimes I find that I am so sure that I am prepared for something, and I am shocked by failure. When it comes to passing classes one should breakdown the course. Where are the most points, what parts do you think you can finish without too much effort. Ask for help? It sounds simple, but it works. Try and take the information and use a variety of techniques to learn it. Creativity for me is the cornerstone of learning.

I hope this was helpful. :)